Options

PEARL JAM MTV UNPLUGGED

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    any?
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    bump... :)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    jaboodeyjaboodey Rochester, NH Posts: 90
    My roommate in college took his girlfriend of all people to this show. I haven't reminded him every chance I get. (I don't kid too much when his wife is present though....not the same girl...)
    Rochester NY '94, E Rutherford NJ '98, MSG '98
    Jones Beach 2000, Mansfield 03, Camden 03, Hershey 03
    Boston VFC 04, Halifax 05
    Hartford 06, Boston 06, E Rutherford 06
    Mansfield I & II 08, Philly Spectrum -Halloween 09! Hartford '10
    Eddie -Boston 6/16/11, Worcester 2013, Amsterdam 6/16/14,
    Quebec City '16, Ottowa '16, Fenway Nights 1 & 2 2016
    London 1 2018, Fenway Nights 1 & 2 2018
    Got Id?
  • Options
    I have the officially released DVD (and used to own the VHS version), but I'd love to see the entire thing, unedited. I have the entire concert in mp3 format, right down to the talking between songs (and the jamming - they play a segment of "Angie" by the Rolling Stones at one point) - but it would be awesome to be able to watch the whole thing.

And to Tenzing (does the N stand for Norgay? lol) "Porch" was better than RitFW - though I'm biased because I think Porch is just an ass kicker of a song. Plus I'm a party pooper who would rather hear 30 PJ songs in a concert instead of 27 PJ songs and the same three covers over and over again... either retire the covers you've played 5,000 times or find some new ones - I'd rather hear "Even Flow" and "Ghost" than "Even Flow" and "RitFW."

But yeah, long story long, they need to release the ENTIRE concert 8-)
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Options
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    I have the officially released DVD (and used to own the VHS version), but I'd love to see the entire thing, unedited. I have the entire concert in mp3 format, right down to the talking between songs (and the jamming - they play a segment of "Angie" by the Rolling Stones at one point) - but it would be awesome to be able to watch the whole thing.

And to Tenzing (does the N stand for Norgay? lol) "Porch" was better than RitFW - though I'm biased because I think Porch is just an ass kicker of a song. Plus I'm a party pooper who would rather hear 30 PJ songs in a concert instead of 27 PJ songs and the same three covers over and over again... either retire the covers you've played 5,000 times or find some new ones - I'd rather hear "Even Flow" and "Ghost" than "Even Flow" and "RitFW."

But yeah, long story long, they need to release the ENTIRE concert 8-)
    i have something in videocasette,i think my sister have it..and yes this version of porch is the best for me+Ghost...i just love it!!!my favorite from riot act..
  • Options
    :D
  • Options
    :D
  • Options
    anyone???
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    Ed is wearing Infrared Jordan VI's
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    BUMP 8-)
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Their Unplugged show was pretty weak in my opinion. The performance itself is good, don't get me wrong, but they've put on much better shows since. I think my problem with it is that the entire set is based around Ten (with the exception of two songs). I would have liked it better if they would have waited til Vs was released.

Nirvana Unplugged is the best Unplugged ever. Eric Clapton's is amazing, too. Tears In Heaven and Layla sound incredible.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    Wasn't there but i do remember when MTV actually aired it :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    Their Unplugged show was pretty weak in my opinion. The performance itself is good, don't get me wrong, but they've put on much better shows since. I think my problem with it is that the entire set is based around Ten (with the exception of two songs). I would have liked it better if they would have waited til Vs was released.

Nirvana Unplugged is the best Unplugged ever. Eric Clapton's is amazing, too. Tears In Heaven and Layla sound incredible.

I can assert that I taped it onto my VHS as it was orginally broadcast (how's that for a progressive taste in music?) but did not attend.

I was hooked after their first SNL appearance in 1992 (which I also taped on VHS)

If you read the book "Five against One" it indicates there were alot of technical problems with PJ's performance on Unplugged including the fact that the band did not have their own instruments on hand.,..

(shipping problem??)..

That's the main reason Mikey's solos are so muted...

He never used that guitar until minutes before the broadcast..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    Thanks PeteThanks Pete NYC Posts: 613
    I was driving in my car when the Dj from some old radio station, I think WDRE 92.7 out of L.I. NY, was giving out a pair of tickets. He said the next chance was in 20 minutes then played Black. I tore off the expressway to find a payphone, and kept dialing. I got through, but was caller 90 instead of 92. :cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    MVB2101 wrote:
    I was driving in my car when the Dj from some old radio station, I think WDRE 92.7 out of L.I. NY, was giving out a pair of tickets. He said the next chance was in 20 minutes then played Black. I tore off the expressway to find a payphone, and kept dialing. I got through, but was caller 90 instead of 92. :cry::cry::cry:
    :(
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Ed is wearing Infrared Jordan VI's

I got myself "JORDAN VII" back in 92' and "JORDAN JUMPMAN" back in 99'...great shoes! :)
  • Options
    :?:
  • Options
    :)
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,210
    Doompony here in NZ has got both the DVD from the Ten reissue & a VHS video of the original concert from the tv.
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    :)
  • Options
    i loved when the covered bowie and the meat puppets. epic set list.
  • Options
    Why did the mix up the setlist order; Look at Eds "PRO-CHOICE!"
    i have this question in my mind 18 years now..!!!

Yasou Dimitris, Kali spera . . . MTV didn't necessarily screw up the order of the songs. The band played their set 2 or 3 times through, while they filmed, and MTV then took the best version of each song and placed it in the original order of the setlist (or at least close to the order). Thats why you see the "prochoice" marker on Ed's hand. Nivana, on the other hand, rehearsed their set, brought in the crowd, and shot the show in one take, and then it was subsequently edited to fit the format.

It was so early in PJ's career (4/92) that they could not really dictate in that situation. At that point they were basically doing what they were told, which changed very soon thereafter. Also, playing rented instruments must have affected their playing to a certain extent. Pj's performance, however, is certainly wonderful and is a moment of time captured forever, but I always believed PJ should have waited until at least late '93 to do unplugged, when the band had matured a little more. Nivana's shoot was Nov. '93, I believe.

It also would have been pretty incredible if Eddie was not ill in late December '93 when the planned MTV New Years special would have included Nirvana and PJ on the same bill. :shock: I remember the rumors that circulated for years after April of '94; that had Eddie been able to hang out with Kurt during the New Years taping, perhaps Kurt may not have gone down his path . . . but I digress.

Not sure if you are going to get an eye witness account of the taping of the unplugged show on this board, it seems more populated by all the younger fans, whom us old timers sometimes call the "official bootleg crowd" :D , but I hope someone steps forward, it would be great to here the stories.
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Options

Yasou Dimitris, Kali spera . . . MTV didn't necessarily screw up the order of the songs. The band played their set 2 or 3 times through, while they filmed, and MTV then took the best version of each song and placed it in the original order of the setlist (or at least close to the order). Thats why you see the "prochoice" marker on Ed's hand. Nivana, on the other hand, rehearsed their set, brought in the crowd, and shot the show in one take, and then it was subsequently edited to fit the format.

NOOOOOOOOO. that takes so much of the magic of the show away from me!!! Boooo-urns!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103

Where did you get this info. If you get the bootleged version of pearl jam unplugged (on dvd or cd) it appears to play uncut, complete and in the correct order. No multiple takes, and the prochoice written on the arm comes earlier in the set, because the tv version didn't edit them in the correct order. The bootlegs out there would pretty much back that up....? If you watch the bootleg, it includes all the banter between the songs and definately flows properly... I think your interpretaton may be incorrect?

edit: additionally the bootleg contains the soundcheck in which they rehearsed many of the songs before hand... I think in front of the audience it just had the one run through.
  • Options
    [/quote]

Where did you get this info. If you get the bootleged version of pearl jam unplugged (on dvd or cd) it appears to play uncut, complete and in the correct order. No multiple takes, and the prochoice written on the arm comes earlier in the set, because the tv version didn't edit them in the correct order. The bootlegs out there would pretty much back that up....? If you watch the bootleg, it includes all the banter between the songs and definately flows properly... I think your interpretaton may be incorrect?

edit: additionally the bootleg contains the soundcheck in which they rehearsed many of the songs before hand... I think in front of the audience it just had the one run through.[/quote]

Not quite sure where my info came from, probably either magazines writing about the Unplugged series, one of the Nirvana books, which attempts to put them in the best light by saying something like they were the only ones to play one take, Five Against One, perhaps: but all in all my own memory of what I have heard and/or read. But, I think you are right Zod. I went back and looked at my Unplugged boot and the rehearsal boot.

The set for rehearsals:
    Oceans, tuning, SOLAT, Alive, Black, tuning, Jeremy, Tuning, Porch
    The set for bootleg Unplugged:
    Oceans, SOLAT, Alive, Black, Jeremy, Porch, Even Flow, Rockin in the Free World

There could be another recording of the actual show (2nd take) out there, but I doubt it. They probably did just one take. Ed must have put his jacket back on after Porch and then MTV switched up the order. I'm glad you checked me on this Zod, I was under the assumption that PJ did a few takes, thanks. ;) It actually makes me feel better that our beloved band did one take . . .
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,088
    morello wrote:
    Doompony here in NZ has got both the DVD from the Ten reissue & a VHS video of the original concert from the tv.
    Ditto (almost). The copy I have on VHS is a promo release from No Code (I think). They were given out from (if memory serves) the Sounds on Queen St if you bought No Code on the day of release. I also have the bootleg DVD (with the timer on the bottom).

Still, can't believe they didn't (or weren't allowed to?) release the full show on the official DVD. With seamless branching they could have had both.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,103
    bazzer wrote:
    morello wrote:
    Ditto (almost). The copy I have on VHS is a promo release from No Code (I think). They were given out from (if memory serves) the Sounds on Queen St if you bought No Code on the day of release. I also have the bootleg DVD (with the timer on the bottom).

Still, can't believe they didn't (or weren't allowed to?) release the full show on the official DVD. With seamless branching they could have had both.

yup and they could of had special features like some of the rehearsal performances and stuff... kinda dropped the ball on that one?

either that or they ran into some pretty difficult licensing issues?
  • Options

It was so early in PJ's career (4/92) that they could not really dictate in that situation. At that point they were basically doing what they were told, which changed very soon thereafter. Also, playing rented instruments must have affected their playing to a certain extent. Pj's performance, however, is certainly wonderful and is a moment of time captured forever, but I always believed PJ should have waited until at least late '93 to do unplugged, when the band had matured a little more. Nivana's shoot was Nov. '93, I believe.

It also would have been pretty incredible if Eddie was not ill in late December '93 when the planned MTV New Years special would have included Nirvana and PJ on the same bill. :shock: I remember the rumors that circulated for years after April of '94; that had Eddie been able to hang out with Kurt during the New Years taping, perhaps Kurt may not have gone down his path . . . but I digress.

Not sure if you are going to get an eye witness account of the taping of the unplugged show on this board, it seems more populated by all the younger fans, whom us old timers sometimes call the "official bootleg crowd" :D , but I hope someone steps forward, it would be great to here the stories.
    thanks!!!!!and thanks for the Greek talking :)
  • Options
    Where's Dave A. on the DVD Menu?
    I am the artist formally known as "Cameron4President"....
    1998: Va Beach VA
    2000: Va Beach VA, Columbia MD
    2003: Raleigh NC, Bristow VA
    2008: Washington DC
    2009: Philly 3
    2010: Bristow VA
    2013: Baltimore MD, Charlottesville VA, Charlotte NC
    2014: Cincinnati, OH
    2016: Hampton, VA, Raleigh, NC
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    bazzer wrote:
    morello wrote:

they didn't give that shit away down here! then again no code was bought for me by someone else for my birthday... hey.. maybe THEY took it?? bastards....

i have the uncut version with the timer too but it's super shit quality. then again my original taping from the telly is probably going to wear out one day