Options

my ONLY complaint with PJ

12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
edited February 2008 in The Porch
im sure some of you, or all of you are sick of hearing "tour everywhere possible PJ!!!" and all these other small complaints, but im sure some may agree on this one:

PJ writes tooo many 3 minute songs. anytime i listen to a boot, soo many of there songs are 3 minutes. they play 30+ songs per concert, but alot of those songs are not long at all. i think for PJ's next album they should write some 5-7 minute songs, experiment a little.

anyone feel the same?
5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
8/7/08, 6/9/09
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    no, long songs are fine if they're good but short songs are way cooler, I've never thought "I really dig this song but wish it were longer" but many times do I want a song to be shorter, far too many good songs are just ok because they drag on too long
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    I have to say that I have noticed this as well, and sort of agree. My main issue is with the lack of use of McCready. I really don't know why he seems to get the shaft on a lot of songs.

This was particularily noticeable with the RHCP album coming out at the same time as PJ's latest. The Peppers put out a double album where you are hard pressed to find a song where they don't let Fusciante shine. Pearl Jam fans seem to worship Mike, and I think he's great, but why doesn't he get his props?

Just to back up my point a bit, look at the first singles off the last couple albums. I Am Mine & WWS barely have anything you can call a "solo" and what is there is all too brief. I'm aware we've gotten tracks like 'All or None' and 'Life Wasted' off the last two as well, but with Ed playing increasingly more guitar as the band has evolved, I would think Mike would get leads in greater quantity. I'm not saying all the tracks have to have Alive or Immortality solos on them, but it just seems like McCready gets gipped.

Sorry to kind of hijack your thread with my McCready rant, but I think this has a direct relation to the length of some of the songs. Particularily the news ones.
  • Options
    perhaps you should look into the Ramones
    Bridge Benefit 99, 01, 03, 04 (EV), 06
    Las Vegas 03, 06, MSG I & II - 2008
    Halloween Philadelphia, MSG II 2010
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Can't says i've ever noticed or that i ever will.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    nah. i dont like too many long songs. a whole album of long songs would be a little tedious.
  • Options
    im sure some of you, or all of you are sick of hearing "tour everywhere possible PJ!!!" and all these other small complaints, but im sure some may agree on this one:

PJ writes tooo many 3 minute songs. anytime i listen to a boot, soo many of there songs are 3 minutes. they play 30+ songs per concert, but alot of those songs are not long at all. i think for PJ's next album they should write some 5-7 minute songs, experiment a little.

anyone feel the same?

True.. they also play everything so fast though in concert. They like to have the 30+ song count per show i think. That is their thing... they wouldn't have time to do that if they slowed down and or played longer songs. I would love some on a new record though. Inside Hand Job is long... but i dont love it. I know I'm in the minoity hear but its no Layla. If its going to be long it better be awesome.
  • Options
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    I have to say that I have noticed this as well, and sort of agree. My main issue is with the lack of use of McCready. I really don't know why he seems to get the shaft on a lot of songs.

This was particularily noticeable with the RHCP album coming out at the same time as PJ's latest. The Peppers put out a double album where you are hard pressed to find a song where they don't let Fusciante shine. Pearl Jam fans seem to worship Mike, and I think he's great, but why doesn't he get his props?

Just to back up my point a bit, look at the first singles off the last couple albums. I Am Mine & WWS barely have anything you can call a "solo" and what is there is all too brief. I'm aware we've gotten tracks like 'All or None' and 'Life Wasted' off the last two as well, but with Ed playing increasingly more guitar as the band has evolved, I would think Mike would get leads in greater quantity. I'm not saying all the tracks have to have Alive or Immortality solos on them, but it just seems like McCready gets gipped.

Sorry to kind of hijack your thread with my McCready rant, but I think this has a direct relation to the length of some of the songs. Particularily the news ones.

nah your kinda right about that. there hasnt been a PJ song where mike really shines for awhile, or since vitalogy. i mean i LOVE his solo in severed hand and life wasted. and his song writing is great, but there hasnt been a song where mike has jammed out for awhile. the only songs he solos out on is the old ones, or covers. they need to write a song that allows a great extended solo, or great outro. big wave has potential for a sick outro but they wont do it, they just end the song at even less then 3 minutes, id like the outro to extend to at about 3:30.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    I feel this way sometimes. In a way, I kind of had to "get used to it". But now, I actually enjoy a lot of short songs.

I wouldn't want them to play any less short songs, but I would like to see them play more long songs, or extend some short songs once in a while, definitely.

Coming from a jam-band / progressive rock background, I don't think PJ concerts are particularly long either.

I'd like to see them take on a more 2-set show than 1 set + 2 long encores. Maybe they'll do that at Bonnarroo!
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Some of the songs they play too fast live, at least recentelly. Given To Fly and Corduroy just sound a bit rushed.

But other than that, I think 3 minute songs are fine. Don't make a long song just so it can be long - it's gotta be justifiably long, if that makes any sense! Although if they're going to be creating 7 minute epics like Inside Job, then I'm not complaining.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    mrwalkerb wrote:
    I've never thought "I really dig this song but wish it were longer"

I've said those words about "MFC".
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036

anyone feel the same?
    I agree and I feel your pain. :(
    Eddie's punk influenced ruined everything. :(
    I know people here already knew about my hate for punk.
    But they did end the self-titled CD with a 7-minute epic song.
    still hopes for more that in the future.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,005

anyone feel the same?
    Lukin is my favorite song and it's just over a minute, so............maybe they should write shorter songs :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Foxy MopFoxy Mop Posts: 2,812
    BUSH-lager wrote:

Not to divert the thread again, but I feel the same way, but about Jeff. I think he is highly underutilized.. look at RHCP and other great bands who have more rockin out-there bass lines... forget "let Stone sing"... I say "give us more Jeff!" :)
    Wishlist Foundation

This is my kind of love...
    ♥♥♥
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    BUSH-lager wrote:

I agree:)
    I miss Mike with His solo, I wish He will play in some PJ songs like in "Reach Down". It was so amazing!!!!
    And... recently i was thinking why so rarely I can hear bass. Maybe someday Jeff will take a chance to show us the real power of bass?
    BTW. I heard that in music business is a standard to play 3 minutes songs. This is the best time for song - people are not bored os sth. Well, i guess there is some thuth in it...
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    I don't know. I probably would not be into Pearl Jam anymore if it wasn't for their punk influences. I would rather hear a solid song that is under three minutes than a seven minute snooze fest. Certain songs of their's really work well at six-seven minutes, but I think that there is just enough of those. At a certain point, long wandering songs just become masturbatory.
    Jimmy Carter has disco fever.
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    Foxy Mop wrote:
    Not to divert the thread again, but I feel the same way, but about Jeff. I think he is highly underutilized.. look at RHCP and other great bands who have more rockin out-there bass lines... forget "let Stone sing"... I say "give us more Jeff!" :)
    foxy mop, i agree with you. just for ONCE let jeff shine! i would love to hear him just go nuts.

to the op, i like longer songs. and they play the songs TOO DAMN FAST!
  • Options
    BUSH-lager wrote:

couldn't agree with you more. I worship McCready and would love to see him soloing on songs like he used to back in the day.
    Sorry is the fool who trades his soul for a corvette, thinks he'll get the girl he'll only get the mechanic...

Atlantic City: 09/30/05, 10/01/05
  • Options

anyone feel the same?

Wow, you must have run out of stuff to bitch about. I never really gave much thought to the length of their songs. I will say, that's one of the things I can't stand about jam bands, their songs are too fucking long, it's musical masturbation. I went to a Lenny Kravitz show a few weeks ago and he did like a 15-20 minute version of "Let Love Rule" and after about 10 minutes I was like..."I get it we've got to let love rule, now let's move it along."
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    Yea i really wish they had longer epic songs....even just like 6-7 minutes

Zeppelin style
    *Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member # 0004

Rather than being birthed like a normal child, Chuck Norris instead
    decided to punch his way out of his mother's womb. Shortly thereafter
    he grew a beard.
  • Options

anyone feel the same?

Not bashing at all, but it's ironic that your screenname is from a song that's less than 3 minutes long...

Anyways, I love their music just the way it is.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options

anyone feel the same?

This is something I have never noticed before.
    Nor does it bother me...
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Options
    Can't say I agree...I'd love to see more "experimentation" (I think Avocado was pretty predictable...just me though) but not necessarilly longer songs.

I love the ITW soundtrack...very short tunes, just wish there were more...

Love Mike but the idea of adding more solo stuff turns me off...it starts to become like METAL posing...lost interest in that by age 15. All the solos in Even Flow lead to a pee break lately.

All that said, PJ has the talent to make a longer song work...many haven't worked for me although.

Ed's punk influence is very cool by the way :)
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    I like a good mix. I know many on here don't want/like the long extended jams, but I do. A good mix of hard, short rockers with more musical jams is good stuff to me!
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I like a good mix. I know many on here don't want/like the long extended jams, but I do. A good mix of hard, short rockers with more musical jams is good stuff to me!

I agree....

Interesting jams I'm all for...extended soloing not so much
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    Kingmidget wrote:
    I agree....

Interesting jams I'm all for...extended soloing not so much

Yep. I love Mikey but it seems like every other song he's got an extended solo for way to long.
  • Options
    well i for one love it when they jam, the longer the better.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Foxy Mop wrote:

You should check out this album called "Yield." I don't know about "rockin' out-there bass lines" -- I don't even know what that means -- but Jeff plays his ass off on that album. His fingerprints are all over it.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    hey look at it this way it could be worse it could be a Linkin Park album thats only 30 min for the whole cd
  • Options
    I have to say that I’ve never had a problem with the length of their songs. It seems like an odd thing to gripe about. Then, I read through this thread and I guess I kind of understand the complaint. I think that Ed, leans on that punk influence maybe a little too much. There were maybe a couple of songs on “Pearl Jam” that seemed a little short or compressed. “Riot Act” has that same sort of feel. Like there could’ve been some stretch within some of the shorter songs. It’s really hard to say that their songs would have been even more amazing if they were stretched them an addition 30 seconds to a minute.

I don’t know though, it seems awful knit-picky to make that criticism!

Probably the first time I was truly blown away by McCready was with his work in “Mad Season”. Probably the song, “November Hotel” in particular. He just takes you on a ride in that one! I would like to hear some songs that really let McCready shine. The same can be said for Jeff. However, I don’t think that Jeff is underutilized. I think his work often goes under-appreciated. But, every song can’t be like “Go” or “Jeremy”!

The band has never been about the conventional “rock band” traditions. They’ve always been an amazing mix of styles that are familiar, yet somehow completely unique. Pearl Jam’s music is so difficult to categorize or pigeon hole into one genre or “type” of music. That’s probably a big part of what kept them around for so long.

With all of that being said, some of my favorite songs are well over three minutes! Hell, I could listen to their studio jam sessions for hours and not get bored with it!
  • Options

anyone feel the same?
    After reading this all I thought of was the teacher from "peanuts", wah, waw,wah,waw...waw...
    It's Pearl Jam man, I'll fucking take the "One Note" for christs sake!!

Oh brotha'...:rolleyes:
    If I could be anything in the world I would be your teardrop...I would be born in your eyes, live on your cheeks, and die on your lips.