Options

4 minutes plus songs

into the jaminto the jam Posts: 54
edited July 2008 in The Porch
For some reason from Binaural to Avocado the mayority of their songs dont reach the 4 minutes and some even dont reach the 3 minutes and the whole album lasts only 40 to 50 minutes.

I hope they go back again to compose longer songs like Ten, Vitalogy, No Code or Yield, where even the fast song last 4 minutes plus

For me its a shame that a great song only lasts 2 or 3 minutes, I mean its ok to make short songs but not almost all of them.

To sum up... the longer, the better
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    inmytree29inmytree29 Posts: 77
    The trend for long guitar solos is over. Ergo, the songs are shorter.
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

6/13/99 ;6/18/03 ;6/21/03 ;10/02/04 ;10/03/04; 9/12/05 ;5/16/06 ;5/17/06 ;5/19/06 ;5/20/06; 6/24/06 ;6/30/06; 8/21/08; 8/22/08
  • Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    For some reason from Binaural to Avocado the mayority of their songs dont reach the 4 minutes and some even dont reach the 3 minutes and the whole album lasts only 40 to 50 minutes.

I hope they go back again to compose longer songs like Ten, Vitalogy, No Code or Yield, where even the fast song last 4 minutes plus

For me its a shame that a great song only lasts 2 or 3 minutes, I mean its ok to make short songs but not almost all of them.

To sum up... the longer, the better

Songs over 4 minutes.

Ten - 7
    Vs. - 4
    Vitalogy - 6
    No Code - 4
    Yield - 4
    Binaural - 5
    Riot Act - 5
    Pearl Jam - 5

I don't see what you see buddy...........
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,016
    Size (or song length in this situation doesn't matter) :D

Lukin 1:02
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I used to feel the same way about PJ. I thought too many of their songs are short. But after getting used to it i guess, i think its better that way. Shorter songs work better live. For instance, listen to off he goes. That song is too long. When they played it at the gorge in 05 they shortened it to aobut 4.5 minutes or so and it was much better.

I even like how they jam more than most bands. Listen to bands like DMB, they jam out for almost 20 minutes and its all meaningless crap. Ill be listening to "2 step" for example, and youll hear a piano and soft drumming for about 8 minutes!!! its completely ridiculous. Pearl Jam jams out perfectly. Once they start slowing the jam down they know right when to get back into the song.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    I think the problem is that once they've got songs in the studio at the 4 minute mark, they only last about 3 minutes live, thanks to the relentless pace they play them at. But I definitely wouldn't argue with giving more time to long guitar solos. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    For instance, listen to off he goes. That song is too long. When they played it at the gorge in 05 they shortened it to aobut 4.5 minutes or so and it was much better.

I thought that was accidental due to Ed forgetting the lyrics.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    The trend - if there is one - is likely due to the punk side of Pearl Jam's musical DNA currently asserting dominance.

This may be due in some part to Johnny Ramone.

They may get back in touch with their inner Neil Young someday.

In the meantime you can still go see the Allman Brothers or any number of other jambands...you'll get all the long songs you want...I have seen Widespread Panic 40+ times and while I dig them for what they are, longer isn't necessarily better IMO...