Options

Who you Are?-Matt Cameron

eduardoeduardo Posts: 151
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I believe Matt do an incredible performance of this song on last tour.

Too many people before think, he cant do it because was difficult, but i really happy he kick ass.

by the way, i think hes really playing drums excellent last 3 years

opinions?
11.09.05 Kitchener
22.11.05 Santiago
23.11.05 Santiago
11.06.08 West Palm Beach
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    i'm just glad he finally started hitting the drums like a real man, like Dave A. no one can tell me he always drummed in the past as good and hard as he did on this tour.
  • Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    MrSmith wrote:
    i'm just glad he finally started hitting the drums like a real man, like Dave A. no one can tell me he always drummed in the past as good and hard as he did on this tour.

???? Any sound issues you may have had with Matt are more related to mic placement/setup, the overall mix, and tuning, than his technique or how he was "hitting" the drums.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    EBowie wrote:
    ???? Any sound issues you may have had with Matt are more related to mic placement/setup, the overall mix, and tuning, than his technique or how he was "hitting" the drums.

No, Matt was playing much better this tour than previous ones. His drumming improved quite a bit. He has been doing alot more crazy fills. And his set is quite a bit bigger now.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,320
    yes so can we at least put to rest who the best drummer for this band was/is please ....:D ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    whichever retard thought matt couldn't do something?

He is an incredible drummer, just listen to soundgarden.

But yes i love what the whole band has done to the song, especially in one line where Eddie sings it a lot higher and it sounds great.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    EBowie wrote:

Exactly and how much permission he has to roam influences it as well. I think Ed has always been conscious of show-off musicianship and that philosophy had been communicated to Matt. Obviously, PJ's simple sound doesn't require complex drumming but it sounds like Matt has finally been given permission to go nuts. Also, anyone who equates talent with how hard someone hits a drum plain and simply doesn't understand that art of drumming. Hitting a drum head hard takes no skill whatsoever. Some of the worst drumming I have ever heard is from guys who think that is what it takes...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    eduardo wrote:
    I believe Matt do an incredible performance of this song on last tour.

Too many people before think, he cant do it because was difficult, but i really happy he kick ass.

by the way, i think hes really playing drums excellent last 3 years

opinions?

oh yes!!!!!!great song
    danny d
  • Options
    Smellyman2Smellyman2 Posts: 689
    I doubt Matt has been given "permission" from anybody.

He is playing the same. The guy didn't all of sudden get permission or learn how to play drums after 30 years of practice.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    No, Matt was playing much better this tour than previous ones. His drumming improved quite a bit. He has been doing alot more crazy fills. And his set is quite a bit bigger now.

He was doing all those crazy fills in '98, his first tour with the band. Then, he gradually stopped being "crazy." I don't know why. Maybe Ed told him to play things more straightforward (although, that doesn't really sound like Ed).

at any rate, this tour was the first MC came to re-capturing that 1998 sound -- and that's definitely a good thing!
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    He was doing all those crazy fills in '98, his first tour with the band. Then, he gradually stopped being "crazy." I don't know why. Maybe Ed told him to play things more straightforward (although, that doesn't really sound like Ed).

at any rate, this tour was the first MC came to re-capturing that 1998 sound -- and that's definitely a good thing!

I don't know that Ed ever told Matt how to play so much as he might have hinted at preferring a more straight forward appoach. Look at Vitalogy. Ed wanted a simple drumming approach and that's what he got. Sounds like two different drummers from Vs. to Vitalogy.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Also, anyone who equates talent with how hard someone hits a drum plain and simply doesn't understand that art of drumming. Hitting a drum head hard takes no skill whatsoever.

i know it doesnt take talent to hit a drum hard, but whatever Matt is doing now, he should keep doing it. he definitely wasnt doing it before.
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    i know it doesnt take talent to hit a drum hard, but whatever Matt is doing now, he should keep doing it. he definitely wasnt doing it before.

he also had a different drum kit on stage this tour.

I will agree though, whoever said he is doing more "crazy fills", he is definitely doing that.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    eyedclaar wrote:
    I don't know that Ed ever told Matt how to play so much as he might have hinted at preferring a more straight forward appoach. Look at Vitalogy. Ed wanted a simple drumming approach and that's what he got. Sounds like two different drummers from Vs. to Vitalogy.

Given Ed's man-love for Matt, I doubt Ed ever asked him anything except "you want me to spit or swallow?" :)

Seriously ... Ed is always complimenting Matt as "the most talented member of the group" or what not. So I don't know if it was Ed's doing that Matt toned it down on previous tours.

Although even "toned it down" is a misnomer ... because on some songs Matt was still going nuts in 2003 and 2006 (listen to any version of Save You from that time).
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    he also had a different drum kit on stage this tour.

I will agree though, whoever said he is doing more "crazy fills", he is definitely doing that.

Yea, His drumming in 1998 and 2000 were very crazy. I forgot about that.

About his set, how do you know it is different? It looks exactly the same, with the exception of a few new toms and a crash cymbal.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    i love the bonnaroo acoustic guitar version of who you are it was awesome
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    I think Matt was showing off during the '98 tour. I also think the songs picked for Live On Two Legs did a good job of getting it across. Since then, it seems like he has tried to add his own nuances to the music as opposed to just what others before him had done.

I guess I tend to focus in on his parts when I'm listening and I have always heard the "crazy fills" of which you speak. Listen to any version of Hail, Hail before the bridge leads into the "I sometimes realize" part. He always drops something on your ears there. Do The Evolution always gets some nasty drums. Listen to Winnipeg 2005. When the main riff comes back in after the first chorus, he drops out the hi-hat for a second and it sounds awesome. It's like he brings control to the chaos in that song but then loses it again. 1/2 Full, Porch, Severed Hand, the drum solo in Even Flow(Sorry SENROCK!), Comatose. Not to mention he wrote/co-wrote some of the most rhythmically progressive PJ songs: In The Moonlight, Evacuation, You Are.

I love the other drummers for their contributions but Matt ALWAYS brings it live.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    I think Matt was showing off during the '98 tour. I also think the songs picked for Live On Two Legs did a good job of getting it across. Since then, it seems like he has tried to add his own nuances to the music as opposed to just what others before him had done.

I guess I tend to focus in on his parts when I'm listening and I have always heard the "crazy fills" of which you speak. Listen to any version of Hail, Hail before the bridge leads into the "I sometimes realize" part. He always drops something on your ears there. Do The Evolution always gets some nasty drums. Listen to Winnipeg 2005. When the main riff comes back in after the first chorus, he drops out the hi-hat for a second and it sounds awesome. It's like he brings control to the chaos in that song but then loses it again. 1/2 Full, Porch, Severed Hand, the drum solo in Even Flow(Sorry SENROCK!), Comatose. Not to mention he wrote/co-wrote some of the most rhythmically progressive PJ songs: In The Moonlight, Evacuation, You Are.

I love the other drummers for their contributions but Matt ALWAYS brings it live.

Finally someone I can relate to. Matt always does different/crazy fills at such random times... I love it.

Check out the bonnaroo boot. Right before "oh she walks slowly" Matt does this pretty intense fill that I have never heard him do during alive. Also at around 4:40 Matt does this INTENSE hihat fill. He keeps the beat going with his bass drum while keeping a rythm on the ride and sloshes on the hihat a bunch of times before hitting the crash. My jaw dropped when I heard that.

God, sometimes matt just does the PERFECT things on the drums.
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    ridewithmeridewithme Posts: 72
    Matt's drumming is awesome, hes for sure the best they've ever had.

I did read somewhere back in 2000 that he was asked to 'tone it down' sometime in the '98 tour. Which was dissapointing, because i recall the first time i heard Soundgarden in 1996 and thought 'this drummer is so much better than the one in my fave band'.
    ..how did it come to this?
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    getting back to who you are...glad we have it again!!! still prefer jack (both live and ESPECIALLY studio, but matt does a fine job...looking forward to getting some boots in the mail so i can give it a closer look.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    Finally someone I can relate to. Matt always does different/crazy fills at such random times... I love it.

Check out the bonnaroo boot. Right before "oh she walks slowly" Matt does this pretty intense fill that I have never heard him do during alive. Also at around 4:40 Matt does this INTENSE hihat fill. He keeps the beat going with his bass drum while keeping a rythm on the ride and sloshes on the hihat a bunch of times before hitting the crash. My jaw dropped when I heard that.

God, sometimes matt just does the PERFECT things on the drums.

I think we need to get a Matt appreciation thread going again. I just listened to Alive on the Bonnaroo boot. Usually, it is a song that I skip but....wow!. They were on fire that night. Wish I could have gone....

P.S. Sorry for the derailment, NewJPage.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    i like matt.ci like matt.c Posts: 1,121
    I think we need to get a Matt appreciation thread going again. I just listened to Alive on the Bonnaroo boot. Usually, it is a song that I skip but....wow!. They were on fire that night. Wish I could have gone....

P.S. Sorry for the derailment, NewJPage.
    I'd love a Matt appreciation thread. I have not listened to Alive from Roo yet, but I bet it was awesome. Matt always brings that little bit extra every time.