Options

If Ed quit the cigs...

covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,327
edited December 2007 in The Porch
his voice would recover and he would sound like he did in the early 90's.

Now... I know this to be true because I quit smoking on Halloween and my voice has changed tremendously. I can sing Betterman like I did back in the day!!!

Ed could be back there if he quit!!!! It's true!!!!

I know it's his choice and blah-de-dah...... if he DID quit... it would be a great thing!

:D

Peace and love!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Stone is the problem....
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    xkevvxxkevvx Posts: 348
    He'd save some money, too...
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    Eddie---if you are reading this---TRY TO QUIT. do it for your daughter

:)

oh...and the fans!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Eddie ---- If you are reading this ---- smoke a box of marlboro reds for me tonight, babe.
  • Options
    Lizard wrote:
    Eddie---if you are reading this---TRY TO QUIT. do it for your daughter

oh...and the fans!

Most importantly... do it for yourself.

http://www.whyquit.com

-and-

http://www.quitsmokingmessageboard.com
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906

Now... I know this to be true because I quit smoking on Halloween and my voice has changed tremendously. I can sing Betterman like I did back in the day!!!

I know it's his choice and blah-de-dah...... if he DID quit... it would be a great thing!

Peace and love!

well we all know his voice would get better, and we hope he stops, but it will never sound as good as it once did.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options

Peace and love!

Ed is capable of singing like he did in the early 90's, he just chooses not to.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    Ed is capable of singing like he did in the early 90's, he just chooses not to.

Pretty big statement.
  • Options
    No, Ed can't sing like he did back in the 90's.

His smoker's voice won't allow it.

Sorry but it's true.
  • Options
    Pretty big statement.

He's changed his style.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    And just think, if somehow he could miraculously stop aging...just think how that would help?!?!?
    C'mon people...

People are so quick to point at his smoking (which I agree is not good for anyone, or a voice) as the #1 reason he may miss a note or two at a live show anymore. But good lord people, he's also not 25 anymore! The man has also played how many thousand shows in his day? That many shows will destroy your voice as well.

And I'm not so certain I agree completely with the argument that he had a much better voice back then either. For as much of a "decrease" his voice may have taken over the years, I'd take current "singing Ed" over early day's "screaming Ed".
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    If he quits smoking I'll run a half-marathon before January 1, 2009. Maybe I should make it a marathon since that is confronting major huge fear. There is a really nice marathon in Arizona in January http://www.rnraz.com/home.html. I want to run it in 2009, but I'm holding off a couple years on travelling.

I think quitting smoking is all about major lifestyle changes/choices, just like changing to a running lifestyle. I just need to run a marathon once, that's it, just once. . .
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    If you stop smoking, I'll fuck a different beautiful woman, with her full and willing consent, every day before January 1, 2009.

I think quitting smoking is all about major lifestyle changes/choices, just like changing to a fucking lifestyle. I just need to run a year-long fuckathon once, that's it, just once. . .
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Happy New Year! :D
  • Options
    Quit Quit Quit Quit Quit Quit
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    It is age not smoking.

He sings w/ more control now. At 25 he could run around and scream like a maniac as much as he wanted. Now w/ the much longer sets he needs to control himself more.

There aren't as many boots in the old days compared to now, but believe it or not he had many shows which were a HUGE struggle. He is much more consistent show to show now.

At 35 I can't run around like I did at 25.
  • Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    mca47 wrote:
    And I'm not so certain I agree completely with the argument that he had a much better voice back then either. For as much of a "decrease" his voice may have taken over the years, I'd take current "singing Ed" over early day's "screaming Ed".

I'd take current Ed over screaming Ed as well. Oh, but what I would give to hear a smoke free Oceans or Release again!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I'd take current Ed over screaming Ed as well. Oh, but what I would give to hear a smoke free Oceans or Release again!

me too.....but,

Listen to 95 Release form soldier filed just posted here.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=267953

I realize he just started smoking, but he sings it much better now and 95 could be real rough.
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    me too.....but,

Listen to 95 Release form soldier filed just posted here.

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=267953

I realize he just started smoking, but he sings it much better now and 95 could be real rough.

Soldier Field was a shit show for Ed's voice. Check out the Sacramento show from 95 a couple of weeks before and see what I mean.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    well we all know his voice would get better, and we hope he stops, but it will never sound as good as it once did.

It could, my brother.
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Soldier Field was a shit show for Ed's voice. Check out the Sacramento show from 95 a couple of weeks before and see what I mean.

but that is my point in my first post. He is much more consistent now. He would scream so much in shows that it could make for some rough nights in other shows.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    mookie9999 wrote:

yea i prefer his current voice now. i will admit though, anytime i listen or watch old performances i miss his old voice. but if i had to take one id take his voice now.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    but that is my point in my first post. He is much more consistent now. He would scream so much in shows that it could make for some rough nights in other shows.

Very true. But his breathing and ability to hold notes have been severely effected by his smoking. Wash from Philly 05 is pretty painful to listen to.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Options
    One last post and then I'm letting it go.

Cigs steal.

That's all!

Happy New Year!
    LZ in 2008!
  • Options
    KirkwoodKirkwood Posts: 228
    I would prefer the 98-00 voice. He need some more power to songs like not for you, go, given to fly, whipping, grievance, breakerfall.
    As for before that, it hurts to hear him sing sometimes, just listened to some 95 boots. uhhh!. Thats a eddie who doesn´t sing from his stomage=).

But as someone said after a thousand concerts + age, of course you can´t do the same things you did when you were 10 years younger
    2006 Paris, Prague
    2007 Munich, Katowice, Kopenhaven, Nijmegen
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    He would sound a little bit better, but not much.. this is more about his health.
  • Options
    Leave the poor man alone. At least he smokes American Spirits.

To quote :
    My body's nobody's but mine
    You run your own body
    Let me run mine
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • Options
    hey guys, there's nothing worse than nagging... Let him be and if he decides to quit , then he does.....
  • Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    If you stop smoking, I'll fuck a different beautiful woman, with her full and willing consent, every day before January 1, 2009.

I think quitting smoking is all about major lifestyle changes/choices, just like changing to a fucking lifestyle. I just need to run a year-long fuckathon once, that's it, just once. . .
    You funny man! hahahahahahahahahahaha :D
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird