Options

Bought 'Into the Wild' dvd....

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited March 2008 in The Porch
And I loved the soundtrack from the start of course, but after watching the movie it is even more the better. The songs add such context to the film and seem to fit perfectly. Not being familiar with the story at all before the soundtrack talk started up, I really couldn't get a full grasp of the songs. Guaranteed in particular fits perfectly to me....an amazing song.

Thoughts?
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,165
    I got the HD Version, looks awesome on my big screen w/ suround sound.Had a few friends over last night to watch it, they loved it.I saw it in the theatre, at home was even better.The extras are cool,especially when Ed talks about Penn,and Penn praises Ed as a great American Voice.I'm a dude and this film chokes me up.
  • Options
    RansomPTDRansomPTD Posts: 295
    is it out on blu-ray?
  • Options
    Yeah, I watched it on my surround sound and it was amazing. It is a beautiful film....ain't no shame in being a dude and getting choked up I say.

At the end of Shawshank Redemption when Morgan Freeman is on the bus heading for Mexico and he says, "Get busy living or get busy dying. That's god damn right" gets me every time I watch it and I've watched that damn movie at least 100 times

I'm not sure if ITW is on blu-ray or not...I only saw the HD version and being a dummy I don't know the difference between blu-ray and HD

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    Does the standard release have the extras or is it the 'special edition'??
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    The special edition only has the extras I'm fairly certain....there may be something extra on the regular copy, but the collector's edition has an extra disc with the interviews and other stuff

• Options
    RansomPTD wrote:
    is it out on blu-ray?

not yet... it was actually the very last HD-DVD ever made. Soo i would think at some point everything that is on HD-dvd will be released on Blu-ray.
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    Oh yeah...........loved the movie and the soundtrack. It was so cool that at the theatre, the music got louder than the movie so when Eddie played, the music was really at the forefront. I also thought it was cool that so many people who may normally not gotten chance to hear Pearl Jam or Eddie solo, got the chance. Like I said somewhere here before, my dad actually bought Aerosmith's first album, "Get Your Wings" because when I was 15 my parents took me to get an outfit at the mall and the album was playing and my dad asked the guy who worked there who the band was and he bought the album for himself. So I thought that some people who liked the movie and the music would also end up buying it, you know?

Hey and by the way, how are the bonus clips? I thought that the ad I saw mentioned that but I wasn't sure.

Oh, and it is totally cool to be a dude and get choked up; really............
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    I only watched the bonus stuff with the actors and Penn talking about the characters, how they included some regular folks in the movie like the old man with the love mountain. Had the guy who wrote the book on there too. It was interesting to watch after seeing the movie

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    i'll never watch that movie again. i was depressed for days after seeing it. i hate the scene when he dies at the end. just awful.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I saw the movie just recently and was really moved by it. I agree, the soundtrack work is even better when you take it in context of the movie. Really powerful stuff, both the music and the film.
  • Options
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    i gonna buy the 2disc special edition dvd today...cant wait to watch it again, and again ;)

i saw it like um 3 times in the cinema...just couldn't get enough of that film...it was soooo good, and in soooo many ways...
  • Options
    i'll never watch that movie again. i was depressed for days after seeing it. i hate the scene when he dies at the end. just awful.

yeah...real life really sucks sometimes...i've always felt that you have to understand true pain and suffering and loss before you can fully realize/embrace pure joy and happiness

but, perhaps, that's just me...
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    watched last nite at around 1230am (college time) and it was superb...but how long is it? almost 2.5hrs??
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213

thanks for the money saving review.
  • Options
    GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    Powerful film
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    I don't understand where he got the gun. Its not like a guy can just walk into a store with no ID and buy a gun, and he wasn't carrying it around with him. He just had one Alaska. Love the movie to death, that one detail is bugging me though.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    58823005882300 Posts: 813
    Good to know, I didn't realize it was out yet!
  • Options
    culot4 wrote:
    I don't understand where he got the gun. Its not like a guy can just walk into a store with no ID and buy a gun, and he wasn't carrying it around with him. He just had one Alaska. Love the movie to death, that one detail is bugging me though.

perhaps he traded it locally, in alaska, for something he had of value in his posession?
  • Options
    EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
    augustwest wrote:
    i gonna buy the 2disc special edition dvd today...cant wait to watch it again, and again ;)

i saw it like um 3 times in the cinema...just couldn't get enough of that film...it was soooo good, and in soooo many ways...
    Definitely get the 2 disc set - I went cheapo and bought just the movie and then read on here today that there are all sorts of interviews with Ed on the bonus cd

hmmm... I wonder how I could get a second dvd past the husband....
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • Options
    EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
    culot4 wrote:

You've obviously never been to Fairbanks...
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.
  • Options

he DIES AT THE END??? oh jeez THANKS...

; )
    san diego 5.20.95 (watt+ed) . san diego 11.7.95 . oakland 11.18.97 (stones) . san diego 7.10.98 . las vegas 7.11.98 . san diego 10.25.00 . san diego 6.5.03 . seattle 4.9.04 (impact awards) . san diego 7.7.06 . san diego 4.15.08 (ed) . san diego 4.16.08 (ed) . honolulu 7.1.09 (ed) . honolulu 7.2.09 (ed) . los angeles 10.1.09 . san diego 10.9.09 . san diego 7.5.11 (ed) . seattle 7.16.11 (ed)
  • Options
    I know it sucks but it is a true story, so telling you that he dies is not something that you might not find out somewhere else; especially when the whole story first came out again, after the movie was about to be released.

I find it sad though too. I would still see the movie, though, even knowing the outcome, because Emile Hersch plays it very well and there is a lot to the story that is interesting as well as entertaining to watch.

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    RomanzaRomanza Posts: 115
    culot4 wrote:
    When he was farming he asked a guy something like "maybe you can pay me with a gun, maybe a 22 rifle."

It was the same time he found out how to butcher an animal.

But I never saw him carrying it around after that.

"This feeling is wonderful...don't you ever turn it off."
    -JJ
  • Options
    edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    Just watched the film last night. It was a beautiful movie. And the songs really fit in perfect with the movie. Unfortunately, the disc that Netflix sent out to me was just the movie with some previews. Darn! I would have loved to had some special features.

Anyway, regarding the music, was that the intro to "Fatal" that I heard about 30-minutes into the film? Sounded like the intro (just the acoustic guitar part), but I didn't see it in the closing credits.
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Options
    Definitely get the 2 disc set - I went cheapo and bought just the movie and then read on here today that there are all sorts of interviews with Ed on the bonus cd

hmmm... I wonder how I could get a second dvd past the husband....

oh, cmon..........just do it.........

(you must be a newlywed???)

• Options
    I read the book a few years back and liked the movie but I feel that Emil Hirsch was mis-cast. Not to be a critical a-hole but I do not think he is a good actor.
    My cat's breath smells like cat food.