Options

Interview with Stone on Integral Naked Website

BlkFlg1BlkFlg1 Posts: 156
edited January 2008 in The Porch
http://in.integralinstitute.org/

"Pearl Jam: Restoring Idealism to Rock and Roll. Part 1. From the Birth of Grunge to the Death of an Industry.

With Stone Gossard and Ken Wilber

Few bands in recent history have done more to express idealism and authenticity in music than Pearl Jam. In this fascinating interview with guitarist Stone Gossard, we are offered an insider's view of the gritty origins of grunge music, the iconic rise of the "most popular band of the 90's," and the struggles of maintaining one's artistic ideals in the vertigo of sudden fame.

Who: Stone Gossard, guitarist and founding member of Pearl Jam, one of the most influential bands in recent decades, and often described as "the most popular American rock band of the 1990's."

Summary: Every now and again, pop culture is forced to reinvent itself. Like an epic drama among Hindu deities, our collective tastes are born, destroyed, and reborn again, swinging like a massive pendulum from one aesthetic extreme to the other. As a new cultural niche becomes more and more popularized, what typically begins as fierce artistic independence eventually devolves into reckless overindulgence, and creative novelty slowly bleeds away until all that is left is a formulaic husk used to manufacture tomorrow's next fads. It is usually at this point, when a particular scene becomes so over-saturated that it can no longer support the weight of its own excess, that the entire scene will die an often-humiliating death, bloated and alone on an unflushed toilet.

In the 1980's, the music scene in America was dominated by the glut and theatrics of "glam metal." For nearly 10 years, most of popular music was defined by sex, drugs, and machismo-in-drag, and an entire generation of youth nearly lost themselves within a cloud of hairspray. There was a void in the cultural heart of the musical mainstream that was dying to be filled—an utter lack of artistic interiority, emotional depth, and authenticity. Untold millions were craving artistic substance, and were only offered artificial decadence.

Then along came grunge, taking the entire world by storm in the early 90's. From the rain-soaked streets of Seattle emerged a new voice for American youth. In much the same way that punk music arrived just in time to offer salvation for our Disco-era sins, grunge music promised to completely cleanse our cultural palette, placing an aesthetic imperative upon more simplicity, more spontaneity, and more sincerity. And so bands like Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, The Smashing Pumpkins, and Pearl Jam came into the mainstream, forever changing the landscape of American music. From behind a tsunami of massively distorted guitars, hallowed vocals, and countless acres of flannel, appeared an unmistakable return to introspection and idealism—even while cloaked by themes of angst and despair, the natural result of our collective interiors being ignored for almost a decade.

Few bands of the era embody this move toward introspection and idealism as strongly as Pearl Jam. As the grunge scene continued to explode, it was becoming apparent that the inherent iconoclasm of the scene was ill-suited to handle the immense pressures of fame, and many artists found themselves circling the drain of inevitable self-destruction—for many, Kurt Cobain's suicide was a morbid reminder of what can happen when artistic ideals are reduced to mere currency for the status-sphere. One by one the originators of grunge began to fall away, and an impossibly huge body of talent was forever lost to suicide and drug addiction.

Few bands survived as the industry began churning out the newest grunge-inspired fads, marketed (ironically) as "alternative rock." Pearl Jam was one of the few who did make it through this period of intense commodification. Unlike most others from the Seattle era, they were able to prevent themselves from being crushed by the enormous pressure that their celebrity brought to their personal and professional lives. While they did in a sense try to distance themselves from their own fame, they were also simultaneously using their celebrity as a platform for their idealism, soon finding themselves fighting "on all fronts" for initiating real change in the world. From their famed battle with the corruption of the Ticketmaster venue monopoly, to publicly berating the policies of George W. Bush, to expressing pro-choice sentiments in concert, to promoting awareness around Crohn's disease—Pearl Jam was helping to return rock and roll to its roots, in terms of both the profoundly personal and the deeply political. And they continue to do it to this day, over 18 years since the band first formed.

In this dialogue Stone Gossard leads us through the story of Pearl Jam's iconic rise, as well as his own experiences in the early grunge scene, long before any of us had ever known what "Teen Spirit" actually smelled like. Stone and Ken also discuss the current state of the music industry, some of the key problems it needs to come to terms with, and the role of record labels in the future of music. Stone's story is one that is truly aligned with the essence of Integral Art, which attempts to restore Beauty to it's rightful place within the human condition—emphasizing creativity instead of deconstruction, idealism instead of apathy, depth instead of sensationalism, authenticity instead of irony—and always reflecting the fullest expressions of both artist and audience alike. We hope you can join us in this fascinating exploration of artistic idealism and creative reverie....

transmission time: 38 minutes
keywords: Grunge, Green River, Mother Love Bone, Steve Turner, punk rock, Andrew Wood, Mudhoney, postmodernism, Jeff Ament, Eddie Vedder, Ten, Citizen Dick, Singles, Ticketmaster, Rick Rubin, "What is Integral?", The Integral Vision.
most memorable moment: "We felt liberated by the idea of punk rock, by the idea of social movements that gave what you were doing a little bit more significance.... We had a general belief that art was important... and that there was a whole world to be discovered as you filter art through your unique perspective." "

Kat make this a sticky! This is the convergence of two major forces in today's world.
YIELD Fan Club Sergeant-At-Arms
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    that was a cool interview. i'm glad to see that the interview is offered for free, tho i am a member of IN.

awesome that ken wilbur interviewed stone.
  • Options
    that was a cool interview. i'm glad to see that the interview is offered for free, tho i am a member of IN.

awesome that ken wilbur interviewed stone.

I often wonder if folks know about ken here, he is an incredible thinker. Will be seen like Einstein in 100 years....
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,735
    transmission time: 38 minutes

To here the interview, you must pay? D'oh!
  • Options
    i thought it said "free sample." maybe that's just the text. durn, that sucks. it was a pretty good interview.

ken wilbur is incredible, tho i usually have to read his stuff twice before i really understand it.
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,636
    oops

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    BlkFlg wrote:
    I often wonder if folks know about ken here, he is an incredible thinker. Will be seen like Einstein in 100 years....

Einstein was vastly overrated... a gifted amateur at best.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    They asked me for money. Is free, free?

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    bdgavinbdgavin Posts: 123
    I was asked for money. Can someone summarize the interview, please?
  • Options
    i can summarize tonight.
  • Options
    bump
  • Options
    IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,636
    Decent Interview - mostly just rehashing history - Stone likes to drop the f-bomb. No news what so ever. Interesting it says Part 1 - assume there will be more to follow.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,735
    Im tempted to do the 10 dollar month purchase, just to get this feed and capture it and spread it to the heavens. Then cancel the subscription for next month ...
  • Options
    einatshauleinatshaul Posts: 2,219
    Interesting. I'd like to hear the whole thing.
  • Options
    i am too tired to summarize the interview tonight, but i've started. i'll post tomorrow.

briefly...the interview is conducted by this dude named ken wilbur, who is a philosopher/behavioral psychologist. so the interview is really trying to get at how pearl jam and stone's motives and ethos fit into the commercial and music scene at the time. it's really cool. the reason it is taking me longer to summarize is cause i want to do it justice. and i'm too tired right now to do that.
  • Options
    Wish i could hear the WHOLE interview...but i was asked for $$$ so i didn't go ahead with it...would love it if it was a free thing.

It would be cool if we could at least read it, or hear it some other way?

Stone Rocks!!! :)
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    this article is the greatest tribute to pearl jam that i've ever read. the biggest reason for pj being my favorite band forms the essence of this journalist's story. absolutely stunning read. some thought actually went into this article.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    you can download the whole thing for free here:

http://in.integralinstitute.org/landing/Stone_Gossard/index.html

just put your e-mail address and they'll send you a download link :)
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Reading that summary of Pearl Jam makes you really step back and realize how important a band this really has been to the music culture/landscape over the last 18 years!

I'm so glad that they came into my life...and changed how I listened to music!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,504
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    100 Pacer wrote:

Well, thank you kind soul! Can't wait to listen!
    Philly-4/28/03, Holmdel-7/14/03, Reading-10/1/04, Philly-10/3/05, Camden-5/27/06, Camden-5/28/05, Camden-6/19/08, Camden-6/20/08, MSG- 6/25/08
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    you can download the whole thing for free here:

http://in.integralinstitute.org/landing/Stone_Gossard/index.html

just put your e-mail address and they'll send you a download link :)
    Thank you!!

That was a terrific interview!! Very cool to hear Stone talk about the history of Seattle music and all the bands he has been apart of.
  • Options
    knittedknitted Posts: 244
    stone gossard...hopelessly postmodern.

:)
    http://www.sublime-retro.net

when my ears ring, my heart beats
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    God I adore this man.
    (((:D)))

Thank you so much for posting this BlkFlg. What a great find. It's like a very special Stoney Storytellers. STONEYTELLERS. hehe.:D I swear I could listen to this man talk for fuckin ever. Such a kick ass interview! I'm listening now and loving every single second of it. Awww he just praised Kurt. :o

Thanks again for posting this amazingness.
    :)
    I agree~~>lets sticky this bad boy!!!!!
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Stone likes to drop the f-bomb.

hehehe. Yes. In more ways than one. "Fantastic!" "Fantastic" "that was Fantastic!" :p:D Cracks me up. I love it.

And wow, this interview continues on with it's awesomeness. Very intimate feel to just be listening in on this conversation.

Looking forward to Part 2.;)

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    GetALifeGetALife Posts: 553
    #Hamburg 2000 * Berlin 06 # Munich * Dusseldorf 2007 # Berlin * Manchester * London 2009 # Dublin * Belfast * Berlin 2010 # Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen 2012# Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin 2014 ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2014: Amsterdam I & II - Milan - Trieste - Vienna - Berlin # 2018: Amsterdam I & II - Prague - Krakow - Berlin # 2021 (hopefully): Amsterdam I & II - Vienna - Krakow - Prague
  • Options
    And I was disappointed. Not with Stone, but with the interviewer. I wanted to hear what Stone had to say, but the interviewer's comments ended up limiting Stone to yeahs as answers far too often.

Word to the wise, who this man purports to be, if you want to know what someone thinks, don't pontificate. People rag on Larry King all the time and I don't watch him, but he knows how to conduct an interview. This wasn't a good example of how to do it. I can learn about the interviewers views somewhere else. This should have been more about Stone.

I won't be spending money on the rest. Maybe it gets better but I'll wait to hear what others have to say regarding how he conducted the interview it before spending money.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    din't listen to the whole thing, but what i heard was pretty pretentious shit...from the interviewer, that is...stone was just trying to politely answer his questions
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    din't listen to the whole thing, but what i heard was pretty pretentious shit...from the interviewer, that is...stone was just trying to politely answer his questions

when stone got his chance to talk, it was interesting. i found his outlook on the history of the band to be refreshing. some remarks over the years have had me shaking my head but based on this, he's changed some. i do want to know what
    HE has to say in the rest of the interview, i just don't want to hear him yeah-ing this man.

the man has interesting ideas, it's just this isn't the format to discuss them UNLESS the interviewee has some insight into the theory and can comment or is willing to comment upon it. stone is very practical. that's a good thing of course (and i wanted to hear more!). Jeff is more mystical. maybe he needed to interview Jeff who's into this in general or even Eddie who seems to be on the philosophical side.

me, i'm on the wierd side but i'd like to know about others.

Aless

Tell them.
  • Options
    glasshouse wrote:
    this article is the greatest tribute to pearl jam that i've ever read. the biggest reason for pj being my favorite band forms the essence of this journalist's story. absolutely stunning read. some thought actually went into this article.

Hey, thanks a lot glasshouse--it really means a lot to me to read this; i put a whole lot of my soul into writing this article. I hope it conveys how much the band has meant to me personally, as well as the massive cultural impact they have had around the world.

Just so you guys know, we have just just released Part 2 of the interview, which you can access here:

http://in.integralinstitute.org/landing/stone_gossard/index.html

Same deal, just put in your email address, and you will be emailed a link. For those who have already put in your email addresses, you will receive an email later today with a link to the download page.

And please, if you could, spread the word by sending out the link to the landing page, and not posting a link to the actual mp3! We aren't using your emails for any evil outsider marketing campaigns or anything like that, and any followup email you may receive you can immediately opt out of. We are simply a small start-up media company trying to make more of an impact in the world, and trying to do it all as consciously and conscientiously as possible--and directing as many people to the landing page as possible will greatly help with that.

I hope you guys enjoy the interview--and be sure to check out all the free videos and audio samples on the download page, once you receive your link! It is my hope that some of you will really enjoy the types of material we are putting out into the world....

And if any of you have any questions at all around any of this, shoot me an email at cdevos at integrallife dot com.

Corey W. deVos
    Managing Editor, Integral Naked
    Audio Manager, Integral Life
    Managing Editor, KenWilber.com