Options

Golden Globes cancelled?

2»

Comments

• Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    That's not really the problem; it's the fact that the actors, directors, etc. -- ie, the people who would be getting awarded -- have indicated that they will not cross the picket lines to attend the show. And, let's face it, there's no point of doing an awards show if nobody will be there to accept the awards.

Also, does the Golden Globes even have musical performances? I can't remember that ever being the case in the past. The only film awards show that I recall having musical performances was the Oscars.
    Lizardking wrote:
    It's not the jokes that is the problem, it is crossing the picket lines. Many stars who haven gotten very rich reading scripts that these guys wrote want to show support. I heard today Jon Stewert is a member so he can't even write for his own show, just do it off top of his head?

Oh OK gotcha, I thought it was just a writers vs. producer thing.
    Agreed a lot of the actors are writers in their own right. i.e. Owen Wilson, Steve Carrell, Will Ferrell....
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    like what the fuck. the possibly only time eddie vedder will ever be at the golden globes and possibly only time he'll ever win one (or two) the golden globes get motherfucking cancel. brilliant hollywood.

Didn't he win for Man Of The Hour?

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    Alessiana wrote:
    Didn't he win for Man Of The Hour?

Nominated, but lost.
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    can't they just do the show without writers, monologues, jokes?

that way, the speeches can be longer, no need to be cut off.
    ...and also musical performances.

Those speeches need to be cut off. We don't want anyone going Halle Berry and having a nervous breakdown during their speech.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    It*s official... the Golden Globes have been cancelled. They will hold a press conference to announce the winners instead of the telecast. Looks like...no Eddie!!!
    Some people have drugs... I have Pearl Jam.

www.facebook.com/pearlgirlstudio
    Twitter: @pearlgirlstudio
  • Options
    Another writers guild member here...

Yeah, it sucks we won't get to see Ed win a Globe but this strike is a serious business. Over 100,000 people are being adversely affected in L.A. and N.Y.

What the writers are asking for is fair and reasonable, but the fat-cat Media moguls want to keep every penny of internet revenue for themselves.

Some TV fans are angry at the writers and mistakenly believe they are all spoiled, rich brats doing an easy job. The reality is quite different, trust me, and they all want to go back to work.

Think of it like this, if you wrote "The Office" and didn't receive a single penny whenever it's downloaded from NBC.com you'd be on strike too...
    Are you a screenwriter?
    www.screenplaymechanic.com
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    EvilRabbit wrote:
    Another writers guild member here...

Yeah, it sucks we won't get to see Ed win a Globe but this strike is a serious business. Over 100,000 people are being adversely affected in L.A. and N.Y.

What the writers are asking for is fair and reasonable, but the fat-cat Media moguls want to keep every penny of internet revenue for themselves.

Some TV fans are angry at the writers and mistakenly believe they are all spoiled, rich brats doing an easy job. The reality is quite different, trust me, and they all want to go back to work.

Think of it like this, if you wrote "The Office" and didn't receive a single penny whenever it's downloaded from NBC.com you'd be on strike too...

I support you guys 100%. Who cares if we don't get to see if Ed wins or not, what's important is the future of these people's livellihood. Any actor that would even consider crossing that picket line would lose all respect in my book.

Good luck to you all.
  • Options
    I support you guys 100%. Who cares if we don't get to see if Ed wins or not, what's important is the future of these people's livellihood. Any actor that would even consider crossing that picket line would lose all respect in my book.

Good luck to you all.
    totaly agreed.
    With out a script, actor would be nothing.
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    LongRd. wrote:
    totaly agreed.
    With out a script, actor would be nothing.

Although the reverse is also true, without an actor, a script is just a book.

And without the guy putting up the money (and taking most of the financial risk) to put it on TV it is just a backyard play.
  • Options

And without the guy putting up the money (and taking most of the financial risk) to put it on TV it is just a backyard play.

Without scripts, TV is a box of crap sitting in the corner of your living room. And movie theaters would not exist.
    Are you a screenwriter?
  • Options
    EvilRabbit wrote:
    Without scripts, TV is a box of crap sitting in the corner of your living room. And movie theaters would not exist.

But at the same time a script with no money to produce it is community theater.

Besides there are at least a few decent shows that don't rely on script writers. And my biggest worry about this whole strike thing is that if the writers get an automatic pay increase, it sets precedent so that the actors and directors can get the same thing. Then some network head can look over the books and realize that the top rated reality show (American Idol) gets like 10million move viewers a night than the top rated show with union writers and actors (CSI) and is way cheaper to produce and all of the sudden prime time is even more full of even crappier reality shows (since people already obviously watch them).
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Did anybody watch Jon Stewart last night? Stinky bad and I love that show. Yes, we need writers.

Hi, EvilRabbit. Do you ever picket Radford?
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    But at the same time a script with no money to produce it is community theater.

Besides there are at least a few decent shows that don't rely on script writers. And my biggest worry about this whole strike thing is that if the writers get an automatic pay increase, it sets precedent so that the actors and directors can get the same thing. Then some network head can look over the books and realize that the top rated reality show (American Idol) gets like 10million move viewers a night than the top rated show with union writers and actors (CSI) and is way cheaper to produce and all of the sudden prime time is even more full of even crappier reality shows (since people already obviously watch them).

this is already happening....and let us all remember that "reality shows" have writers also....
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    this is already happening....and let us all remember that "reality shows" have writers also....

I know, but my understanding is reality show writers typically aren't part of the WGA. My worry though is that since it is already happening now, imagine how much more it is going to happen if everyone one a scripted show gets a union mandated pay raise.
  • Options

:D some publications are better in books than is in films. i.e. The Perfect Storm
  • Options
    EvilRabbit wrote:

TV is pretty much a box of crap anyway. Even with writers. 99% of the TV writers are horrible.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • Options
    Pearl JenPearl Jen Posts: 136
    Just saw this on Wikipedia. That sucks! I was looking forward to watching it.
  • Options
    Enkidu wrote:
    Hi, EvilRabbit. Do you ever picket Radford?

Fox usually. I'm in the WGC. Had a Lifetime movie shot in Montreal so I had to join the Canadian guild. Waiting to transfer to the WGA when the strike finally ends and we can make movies again..!

Until then, I make a living as a reader. Been doing it for 12 years. http://www.screenplaymechanic.com
    Are you a screenwriter?
  • Options
    EvilRabbit wrote:
    Fox usually. I'm in the WGC. Had a Lifetime movie shot in Montreal so I had to join the Canadian guild. Waiting to transfer to the WGA when the strike finally ends and we can make movies again..!

Until then, I make a living as a reader. Been doing it for 12 years. http://www.screenplaymechanic.com
    just out of curiosity, how does one get into the reading field?... i like movies and reading alot and can tell what sucks from what doesn't suck... what other credentials do i need? (i sound like george costanza brainstorming jobs :D )
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    just out of curiosity, how does one get into the reading field?... i like movies and reading alot and can tell what sucks from what doesn't suck... what other credentials do i need? (i sound like george costanza brainstorming jobs :D )

It's a tough field to crack without:
    a) living in L.A.
    b) some kind of film education
    c) industry experience

You then need to find a prod company which is hiring (impossible during the strike) and build a relationship so they know/trust your taste. It's not just about good or bad scripts, but also cinematic trends, packaging, and commercial viability.

My bio's on my site if you want to see the path I took. http://www.screenplaymechanic.com

Anyway, hope that helps.
    Are you a screenwriter?
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743

Good luck to you all.

*nods in agreement*

I hope it's a dominant effect or should I say as an inspiration into other areas for the poor working people in this country or people who have been wronged in an organization.

Not so much about the money but against unethical and/or Management By Intimidation (in which both cases are very strong where my husband works but he feels so overwhelmed and insecure about losing his job that he is almost afraid to speak up because no one would dare to stand up or speak up to show support).

Good for them to fight!!!
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII