Options

Golden Globes cancelled?

godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
edited January 2008 in The Porch
at least that's the hollywood rumor. No globes... no ed.
"If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
—Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    They are saying there may not be a broadcast of the event, but they will still hold the awards show. I think...
    Some people have drugs... I have Pearl Jam.

www.facebook.com/pearlgirlstudio
    Twitter: @pearlgirlstudio
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    They are saying there may be not be a broadcast of the event, but they will still hold the awards show. I think...

yes and no.....if the wga pickets it even if it isn't televised i doubt anyone would cross the line....
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    can't they just do the show without writers, monologues, jokes?

that way, the speeches can be longer, no need to be cut off.
    ...and also musical performances.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    hidinghiding Posts: 290
    thought ed didn't do awards?
    one love

respect
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:

It's not the jokes that is the problem, it is crossing the picket lines. Many stars who haven gotten very rich reading scripts that these guys wrote want to show support. I heard today Jon Stewert is a member so he can't even write for his own show, just do it off top of his head?
    Lizardking

http://www.myspace.com/lizardkings1

(This Post May Have Been Edited By AT&T)
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    LongRd. wrote:

That's not really the problem; it's the fact that the actors, directors, etc. -- ie, the people who would be getting awarded -- have indicated that they will not cross the picket lines to attend the show. And, let's face it, there's no point of doing an awards show if nobody will be there to accept the awards.

Also, does the Golden Globes even have musical performances? I can't remember that ever being the case in the past. The only film awards show that I recall having musical performances was the Oscars.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    Lizardking wrote:
    It's not the jokes that is the problem, it is crossing the picket lines. Many stars who haven gotten very rich reading scripts that these guys wrote want to show support. I heard today Jon Stewert is a member so he can't even write for his own show, just do it off top of his head?
    well the daily show and colbert are both back as of tonight so they mustve reached some agreement along the same lines as conan, dave, etc

i hope jons got a nice jewy strike beard coming in! :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    That's not really the problem; it's the fact that the actors, directors, etc. -- ie, the people who would be getting awarded -- have indicated that they will not cross the picket lines to attend the show. And, let's face it, there's no point of doing an awards show if nobody will be there to accept the awards.

Also, does the Golden Globes even have musical performances? I can't remember that ever being the case in the past. The only film awards show that I recall having musical performances was the Oscars.

no the globes don't have performances but they do give out the award for song so he could/would be there....
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    well the daily show and colbert are both back as of tonight so they mustve reached some agreement along the same lines as conan, dave, etc

i hope jons got a nice jewy strike beard coming in! :D

nope they have not reached an agreement ala letterman.....they are crossing the picket line so their staffs do not get laid off.....
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    Sounds like an improvement to me. Announce the winners. Pick up the award or not. Get pictures taken or not.

The only down side is the lack of musical performances *this year*. Usually these are insufferable anyway. GADS.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    nope they have not reached an agreement ala letterman.....they are crossing the picket line so their staffs do not get laid off.....
    im confused about how that kindof arrangment works without going against the goal of the picketers... are they labeled scabs? or unloyal? or what? alls i know is i miss "the office" :(

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    im confused about how that kindof arrangment works without going against the goal of the picketers... are they labeled scabs? or unloyal? or what? alls i know is i miss "the office" :(

well technically as long as jon doesn't "write" anything he's ok.....but obviously he'll have to do something when he goes on the air......the writers by and large realize this was going to happen if the strike went long enough....they have still shut down prime time shows and movies so they still have leverage.....
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    well technically as long as jon doesn't "write" anything he's ok.....but obviously he'll have to do something when he goes on the air......the writers by and large realize this was going to happen if the strike went long enough....they have still shut down prime time shows and movies so they still have leverage.....
    what is it exactly that the writers are looking for? better benifits? more money? i kindof didnt look into it too much because i was devasted at the loss of my shows! why dont these studios just give them what they want! they have to be losing tons of money! and seasonal depression is hard enough to cope with even with quality TV entertainment!

• Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    what is it exactly that the writers are looking for? better benifits? more money? i kindof didnt look into it too much because i was devasted at the loss of my shows! why dont these studios just give them what they want! they have to be losing tons of money! and seasonal depression is hard enough to cope with even with quality TV entertainment!

i'm not exactly positive but it they want monies for internet distribution and and extra 1 or 2 cents per dvd sale.......i know there is a wga writer on here so i'm sure he/she will give you better details than me.....:)
  • Options
    cutback wrote:
    i'm not exactly positive but it they want monies for internet distribution and and extra 1 or 2 cents per dvd sale.......i know there is a wga writer on here so i'm sure he/she will give you better details than me.....:)
    thanks! i guess i dont really care tho... just give it to them! my first born child? of course you can have it! my television? of cour.... wait a minute! i need that!

• Options
    here is what i kinda understand from the strike...there was a deal signed back in the 80s by both the WGA and the actors guild and in that deal there was nothing about internet or dvd sales since of course there was not thought of those things...so for years now the studios have been making a bundle of internet and dvd sales but the writers arent getting much if anything off of that and clearly they want a share of the pie...it doesnt sound like much they want and i saw on cnn last week that studios are saving $$ right now but in the end studios will lose more then if they just agreed to the writers "demands" in the first place...

the main reason the actors arent crossing the line is because there deal is up in may or june so they want the same support they are showing now! it sucks for the fans
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Lizardking wrote:
    Leno is a member of the writers guild also, and he blatantly admits to writing material for his current writer-less show.

But yeah, Letterman is THE ONLY one with an interim deal with the WGA to have his writers back to work.

I'll be curious to see Colbert tonight - being his entire show is done in-character, I wonder what his show will be like.
  • Options
    ok, but was there any confirmation that eddie was going to perform?
    OBAMA BABY
  • Options
    ok, but was there any confirmation that eddie was going to perform?

the globes don't have performances
  • Options
    Hi, I'm in the WGA. If you want to understand the issues, check out these two websites.

http://unitedhollywood.blogspot.com/ This one has a video on the right hand side called "Why We Fight."

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/ Has the info on the Golden Globes.

Trust me, we all want it to be over soon. It sucks for everybody.
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I'll be curious to see Colbert tonight - being his entire show is done in-character, I wonder what his show will be like.
    leno's a talentless prick! i cant wait for conan to takeover soon!

im expecting colbert to be hilarious tonight! ive been missing it! hes got plenty of improv experiences from second city to get through a few writerless shows...

• Options
    cutback wrote:

Thanks! Sorry, no clue.
    OBAMA BABY
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Leno is a member of the writers guild also, and he blatantly admits to writing material for his current writer-less show.

And he got in trouble with the WGA for it too.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    cutback wrote:

Ah well. There you go. No real loss except for glory. It's potentially bad for the winners as it lessens Oscar momentum, or something. The last time I paid attention to this was for LOTR and the politics were really awful.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    the fact that leno went back is one thing but the fact the fact that he admits to writing his own stuff (and i really doubt he doesnt have some scabs he is paying under the table) says all you need to know about leno...just see what he did to johnny carson and you won't be shocked by him not honoring the union
  • Options
    I found an article about the ceremony being cancelled. http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/08/2133766.htm
    "Music could provide the light you cannot resist" -R.E.M., "I'm Gonna DJ"

"My relationship with the band began as a love affair on the phone with Jeff." -Eddie Vedder, Rolling Stone, 10/28/93
  • Options
    Another WGA writer just sent me this about the Golden Globes. An example of the producers versus the writers.

From E! on line:
    Earlier Monday, NBC Entertainment cochief Ben Silverman told E! News anchor Ryan Seacrest that the network was "obviously trying to find a solution to satisfy fans of these great movies and all the incredible stars who have worked so hard all year and got this incredible opportunity.
    "Sadly, it feels like the nerdiest, ugliest, meanest kids in the high school are trying to cancel the prom. But NBC wants to try to keep that prom alive."
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    like what the fuck. the possibly only time eddie vedder will ever be at the golden globes and possibly only time he'll ever win one (or two) the golden globes get motherfucking cancel. brilliant hollywood.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Don't worry, he'll get an Oscar nod.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.