best immortality?

Comments

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    NewJPage wrote:
    that was played shortly after it was written, also right after kurt died. the lyrics are about him.
    ty very much,i tried singing along and was lost, lol.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    Benaroya
  • 8/25/00 - jones beach
    after getting help from the front row and asking if it was correct ed got the rest right to close out the best first set ive ever seen this band play. the song ends with mike, jeff, ed and stone lined up jamming and keeping an eye on matt to close it out. i still get goosebumps when i listen to the boot...incredible!
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Seattle 2000. DUH!
  • FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    gndcd402 wrote:

Thanks for this clip...I've been absolutely in love with this version of this song since I first heard it broadcast on the radio the day of the show. But what the hell is the little intro Ed does? Does anyone have any more info on it?
    For some reason that arrangement of notes just rips the heartstrings...and imagine my shock to see it again on the Immagine in Cornice dvd.
  • TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    Firecloud wrote:
    Thanks for this clip...I've been absolutely in love with this version of this song since I first heard it broadcast on the radio the day of the show. But what the hell is the little intro Ed does? Does anyone have any more info on it?
    For some reason that arrangement of notes just rips the heartstrings...and imagine my shock to see it again on the Immagine in Cornice dvd.

its just a fiddly little play on the same chords as the song. Cadd9? and Em.
    ed brought it back in 06 and 07. see adelaide 1 2006 and wembley 2007. wembley was a magnificent version, but unfortunately the recording going around just doesnt do it justice.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • frinkehfrinkeh Posts: 10
    Lexington '03
    amongst others that have already been mentioned..
  • HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Monkeywrench Radio 95
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • FedericoFederico Posts: 7,916
    isnt that immortality absolutely rocks the stage every time it get played live?....i just love every version of it, it alway sounds good....but let me mention one more the list that no one said:

Sta Barbara 2003, from the TOTD reunion night....its an awesome version too
  • pittsburgh 03 (best recent version; crazy good mike solo)
    Give way to nature ...
  • tomachotomacho Posts: 346
    23.nov.2005 Santiago, Chile.
    and
    3.nov.1996 Berlin.

Aloha,
    Tomacho.
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Can anyone upload the version from Melbourne 3-5-98? If I was home I would. If anyone has it and can upload it for people on this thread to download that would rock. It remains my favorite version almost 10 years later. It's up there with 9/11/98 and a few other gems mentioned on this thread.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Benaroya and Berlin 1996 (the intro is magic)
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • glbglb Posts: 356
    I love the version from Alpine Valley in East Troy Wisconsin on 06/21/2003. Has been one of my favorite songs since I randomly bought this boot in 2003.
    "I've got things to do and things to say in my own way..."
  • Besides the ones mentioned, another to check out is:

Seattle 10/10/98, Crocodile Cafe

From the recording, you can hear people just talking in the background, not necessarily paying attention to the band. But, by mid-song, the band is just on fire and completely takes over the club. Matt especially shines on this version.
  • jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,486
    Benaroya definately - Amazing set! amazing song!
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Berlin 1996..love the intro

Bump.
    Listened to "Check Point Charlie" again for the first time in a while ... remember staying up till the wee morning in highschool to hear this broadcast (and tape it, lol) ...

Got to Immortality and was FLOORED.

Re affirmed my waning love for this song.

:D

The intro is to die for.
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Riot_MacRiot_Mac Posts: 473
    Nagoya 2003... for sure
    "hear my name, take a good look, this could be the day."
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    my favorite is self-pollution radio 95'. fucking wow!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Bump.
    Listened to "Check Point Charlie" again for the first time in a while ... remember staying up till the wee morning in highschool to hear this broadcast (and tape it, lol) ...

Got to Immortality and was FLOORED.

Re affirmed my waning love for this song.

:D

The intro is to die for.

that intro was pretty awesome. another excellent version for sure.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    justam wrote:
    Benaroya :)

my vote, too
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    is the MW version the Chicago 95 version? just curious as they broacst the show on local radio from Monekywrench.
  • go to youtube and type in 'pearl jam soldier field immorality 95'. great version
  • MKTerpMKTerp Posts: 66
    smile05 wrote:
    bena or wembley07

I was at Wembley, and the show is mostly a blur at this point, but I remember closing my eyes during Immortality and just thinking "Nothing beats this..." Anyone have mp3s from Wembley by any chance. Sucks they didn't release those shows.
  • nagoya immortality with the long improv just before it is true greatness
  • RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    I love the outro from Seattle 2000.

I have never heard the berlin 96 before - it´s great. Thanx
    Benaroya is my favorite version.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Adelaide I from 2006 was my favourite version, but i can't help but be biased and say that Wembley '07 is my favourite. Mike's solo is just mind-blowing, it's the best thing i've ever heard.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• TroubledSoulTroubledSoul Posts: 1,364
    Adelaide I from 2006 was my favourite version, but i can't help but be biased and say that Wembley '07 is my favourite. Mike's solo is just mind-blowing, it's the best thing i've ever heard.

i was at both of these shows. sensational versions. i started goin nuts when ed started the little intro at wembley. no one around seemed to recognise what was coming but that soon changed ;)

i think i still prefer it when ed doesnt go up in pitch on "adhere", "door" etc though. nevertheless, one of my top 5 tracks. studio and live.
    Yeh I've seen Pearl Jam, too. But I can't remember the dates.
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    BinFrog wrote:
    Can anyone upload the version from Melbourne 3-5-98? If I was home I would. If anyone has it and can upload it for people on this thread to download that would rock. It remains my favorite version almost 10 years later. It's up there with 9/11/98 and a few other gems mentioned on this thread.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/g6l7kh
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • MrSmith wrote:
    where has this song been all my life?!?!? its played live so seldomly i never heard it live until recently, but WOW! I think it may be my favorite live song they play. Mike is INSANE on this song.

whats the best one?

I haven't leafed through the thread yet, but my favourite version of Immortality appears on a bootlegged Australia 1998 CD I got in England for 20 pounds. It's a fairly raw recording, but that only adds to the uniqueness of this version.

I also love when Eddie plays a random riff and then bleeds it into the start of Immortality.

...Edit...wow, all I had to do was look up one post and there it is. Okay, I guess at least 2 people own this version...and both have that little skip near the beginning!
    Toronto '00, '02, '05, '06, '06, '09; Hamilton '05; Buffalo '10; TORONTO 2011 X 2!!

"I think it was John Lennon who said: "Life is what happens when you're making other plans.", and that's how I feel. Although he also said: "I am the Walrus I am the eggman" so I don't know what to believe."