Options

Can ya take poster tubes into the arena's

Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
edited May 2008 in The Porch
or is it somehow classed as an offensive weapon?

just curious for my tampa trip, any help/previous experiences greatly appreciated

thanks ;)
Black, the greatest without a doubt........
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    I'm not sure about larger places, but I was able to take a tube in for both LA EV shows. No questions asked. I bet you can in most arenas as well.
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386
    call the venue. even then they may not let you in with it.

this happened to me in chicago 06 at the united center. kinda stupid if you ask me.

they should have them available for purchase inside. people who have them arent going to hit people with the tube, they are the ones who know how valuble the posters are and would use them for their intended purpose.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314

just curious for my tampa trip, any help/previous experiences greatly appreciated

thanks ;)

Never been to Tampa - BUT I can tell you in Toronto it has been hit or miss. I have run into security who simply will not let them in. Next night I called the venue and got the name of someone who confirmed they were permitted - I was prepared to ask them to get that person down there if they gave me a hard time, but of course they let me right in.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488

thanks ;)

depends on the arena ... some won't mind, some won't allow.

Check with the venue ahead of time.

When in line, have your tube with both end caps off so the line moves quick and the security can see that you're not hiding anything in there.

If they say no while you're in line, don't argue, just dump your tube and move along .... good to have a back up plan just in case (plastic bag with rubber bands)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    jimed14 wrote:
    depends on the arena ... some won't mind, some won't allow.

Check with the venue ahead of time.

When in line, have your tube with both end caps off so the line moves quick and the security can see that you're not hiding anything in there.

If they say no while you're in line, don't argue, just dump your tube and move along .... good to have a back up plan just in case (plastic bag with rubber bands)

Aaah good thinking on the bag and bands backup!!

Suppose i could take two tubes and leave one in my hotel for when i get back if they do take it off me.
  • Options
    Thanks for all other input too, i guess i'll just take a spare and leave it in my hotel for afterwards. (probably won't get a poster anyway if the last couple of shows are anything to go by!!)
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford did not allow them in.
    There are easy ways to protect your poster that don't require wasting your time/money/other people's time trying to get a tube in. Garbage bag, plastic bags, or even the bags that come on newspapers (long and narrow), wrapped around the poster, with a couple of rubberbands (ends and middle) will suffice. And that way, you won't have the guards stop you at the door and hold up your line so neither you nor the people behind you even have a chance to rush inside and get the posters in the first place!
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,537
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I will always remember the STACK of posters outside the doors in Kitchener when they would not allow tubes in.

Like many have said, it is hit and miss. I got a tube in to Dusseldorf ok. :)

hehe i remember that scene in Kitchener/05, all those poster tubes left inside the garbage bin at the security checkpoint. i REFUSED to abandon my tube and carry the poster into the venue, so after purchasing the poster i joined the small group of people in line to take the elevator next to the merchandise table back to the 1st floor (bank machine used as the excuse), and i was able to get a pass to leave the venue, grab my tube and roll the poster inside which i then left in my car, after which i returned and took the same elevator, bypassing security with my pass, right back up to the 2nd floor and enjoyed the show :)

but getting back on topic, venues have been instructed NOT to let any poster tubes inside,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore