Options

outside lands festival

bdgavinbdgavin Posts: 123
edited March 2008 in The Porch
it's august 22-24 at golden gate park in san francisco. jack johnson, ben harper, tom petty, radiohead, beck, others and more to be announced. could PJ make an appearance? i bet they will. unless they are playing elsewhere at that time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,221
    they have to be right? I mean they arent on the lineup and the lineup already has a nice set of heaxliners but of course PJ is playing.

sorry but couldnt resist.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    i saw manu chao is lined up as well!

not likely considering they already have radiohead, tom petty, and jack johnson.

i think jack johnson headlining all these festivals is a joke but who am i to judge...
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    that at least EV makes an appearance there. he's good friends with Ben Harper and J Johnson. the last time PJplayed in GGP Ed lasted about 5 mins.
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Here was a list I saw floating around ...

Radiohead Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers Jack Johnson Beck Wilco
    Manu Chao Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals Widespread Panic
    Primus Rodrigo y Gabriela Steve Winwood Café Tacvba
    Broken Social Scene Regina Spektor Devendra Banhart Cold War Kids
    Galactic’s Crescent City Soul Krewe Lyrics Born Andrew Bird Steel Pulse
    Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings M. Ward Drive-By Truckers ALO
    Matt Nathanson The Cool Kids Two Gallants Dredg Little Brother
    Grace Potter & the Nocturnals Donavon Frankenreiter The Mother Hips
    Black Mountain Sidestepper Nellie McKay The Coup Goapele Bon Iver
    Ivan Neville’s Dumpstaphunk Sean Hayes The Felice Brothers
    Rupa & the April Fishes Back Door Slam K’NAAN

I'll certainly be there ...

I can't see PJ just showing up for this. A little too big of a band to just *show up*.

It'll be good none the less ... (Broken Social Scene ... yay!)
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    This festival is a joke. A 3 day pass runs $250? That's WAY too expensive for most fans. For my wife and I to attend all 3 days it would easily run us over $1,000 if you consider lodging, food, transportation and a couple of T-shirts and poster. It would honestly be way cheaper for us to travel to Los Angeles or Seattle to see Radiohead. Northern California Radiohead fans are pissed right now. Single day tickets will probably be at least $100 a piece. I'd be shocked if this thing made it past this year. It's a terrible location for a festival of this size. No camping, no affordable lodging, and no parking. I calculated it would cost us $70 in BART fares over the course of the weekend. If you live in the city and don't have to worry about lodging or transportation it's a must see event. But for fans who live outside the city it sucks big time. They should rename this thing the Yuppies of Northern California Festival because that's going to be the only people attending. Great group of bands but the price and logistical headaches make it easy to pass on.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    lastexit78 wrote:
    This festival is a joke. A 3 day pass runs $250? That's WAY too expensive for most fans. For my wife and I to attend all 3 days it would easily run us over $1,000 if you consider lodging, food, transportation and a couple of T-shirts and poster. It would honestly be way cheaper for us to travel to Los Angeles or Seattle to see Radiohead. Northern California Radiohead fans are pissed right now. Single day tickets will probably be at least $100 a piece. I'd be shocked if this thing made it past this year. It's a terrible location for a festival of this size. No camping, no affordable lodging, and no parking. I calculated it would cost us $70 in BART fares over the course of the weekend. If you live in the city and don't have to worry about lodging or transportation it's a must see event. But for fans who live outside the city it sucks big time. They should rename this thing the Yuppies of Northern California Festival because that's going to be the only people attending. Great group of bands but the price and logistical headaches make it easy to pass on.

from what I've heard (and it's just speculation at this point) there will be no one day event passes .... buy a three day pass or nothing, agian, that is speculation. I do not have any comfirmation on that.

As for cost ... it's cheaper than most other festivals I believe. I know it's certainly cheaper than Coachella, but I don't think they'll have 5 stages of acts going at all times like Coachella.

To draw that talent and to get permits in the city ... it's probably reasonable.

This is probably why a lot of festivals pick out-of-the-way locations like Indio, CA (Coachella), Manchester, TN (Bonnaroo) ... etc ....

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    jimed14 wrote:
    from what I've heard (and it's just speculation at this point) there will be no one day event passes .... buy a three day pass or nothing, agian, that is speculation. I do not have any comfirmation on that.

As for cost ... it's cheaper than most other festivals I believe. I know it's certainly cheaper than Coachella, but I don't think they'll have 5 stages of acts going at all times like Coachella.

To draw that talent and to get permits in the city ... it's probably reasonable.

This is probably why a lot of festivals pick out-of-the-way locations like Indio, CA (Coachella), Manchester, TN (Bonnaroo) ... etc ....

It's more just the logistical problems that will keep me away. At least you can camp at Coachella, Bonnaroo & Sasquatch. For me coming from Sacramento there's no cost effective way to pull this off. I have to get a hotel for at least 2 nights and then find transportation to the shows each day. On the website it does mention that you can purchase 1 day passes at a later date. All these festivals are starting to scare me. It seems like every city or region has a festival these days. Hopefully it's just a phase like we seen in the early 90's. I'm getting too old to stand in a giant field for 3 days, waiting out a bunch of average bands just see a PJ or Radiohead.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    OMFG Ivan Neville?

What the fuck?

Anyway, Radiohead, Petty, Primus, and Wilco does sound like an amazing weekend though.

After those bands, the line-up sort of falls off.
  • Options
    But if you live in the city, then you are stoked!!!
    We were but stones... Your light made us stars
  • Options
    But if you live in the city, then you are stoked!!!

absolutely. :D

• Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,560
    The line-up for this is the best for any festival this year.

I mean, even without PJ, they have Radiohead, Wilco, Tom Petty, Regina Spektor, Beck, Ben Harper, AND Primus?

Plus there are a ton of lesser-known bands that are real gems -- I can vouch for the awesomeness of Devendra Banhart, the Cold War Kids, Rodrigo y Gabriela, and Andrew Bird, to name a few.

I'd love to go to this, and it's just a 6 hour drive away.

Unfortunately, with two Eddie Vedder shows, The Cure, R.E.M., and Radiohead shows coming up, framed around a month-long trek around South America, there's no way I can afford the $225 price tag. :(

I'm hoping they do end up releasing some single-day tickets; it's the only way I'll be able to go.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    there is no way i would pay for a 3 day pass... that's ridiculous. i imagine they might release single day passes for sale later on. if they don't that's stupid. i'll just go to Golden Gate Park with a keg and park myself somewhere where i can hear the music. the whole park will be utter insanity. last time dave matthews played there i could hear the music from my apartment a half a mile away.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,448
    I am all for diversity, but the line-up is way too broad.

Seems like they want to please all of the people some of the time, as opposed to some of the people al of the time.

I wonder if people will be drawn to the festival just because it is at an old hippie haven?
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    That's a damn good lineup.

And for the price, it's a bargain. Consider the competition of prices from Lolla, ACLFest, Bonnaroo, and Virgin Fest. I think you'd find that all those concerts are in the $175-250 range.

Not a sticking point, if I were deciding whether to go.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    lastexit78 wrote:
    It's more just the logistical problems that will keep me away. At least you can camp at Coachella, Bonnaroo & Sasquatch. For me coming from Sacramento there's no cost effective way to pull this off. I have to get a hotel for at least 2 nights and then find transportation to the shows each day. On the website it does mention that you can purchase 1 day passes at a later date. All these festivals are starting to scare me. It seems like every city or region has a festival these days. Hopefully it's just a phase like we seen in the early 90's. I'm getting too old to stand in a giant field for 3 days, waiting out a bunch of average bands just see a PJ or Radiohead.

I'm with you, LastExit78. I live in the North Bay so I'm looking at about a 45-mile drive to the El Cerrito BART station, then taking yet another bus over to GG park. If I were in college or even my late-20's, I'd be into this, but I just turned 40, have a wife and kids. Thus, the logistics of this are becoming more of a headache. Plus, for me and my wife to go, we're looking at $450 for a pair of 3-day passes. I just bought tix to the Camden shows (rather get my PJ fix than this festival) so I'm already spending a bunch on that trip. If they do a single day pass, I'll go. I can do a marathon day in the park watching good bands under the sun -- but not three days in a row! If I could only do one day, I'd easily take the Radiohead day (and hopes that Wilco is playing that same day). I may sit this one out, but I'd be hating myself for missing this festival, too! Of course, if Radiohead decides to do a show at the Greek in Berkeley like they did in '06, I'd have absolutely no remorse about missing the Outside Lands fest.
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    The line-up for this is the best for any festival this year.

In North America maybe but our European line up's still piss all over your festivals.

http://www.rockwerchter.be/RW2008/site/index.asp
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    MINDWIREUK wrote:
    In North America maybe but our European line up's still piss all over your festivals.

http://www.rockwerchter.be/RW2008/site/index.asp

I'll agree with you on Rock Werchter - that is one awesome line up. There aren't many bands on the second stage, but the first class headliners really make up for it.

Yes $274 (total price with all fees) is a lot to be asking, but considering the line up I'd say this is a bargain. Outside of seeing Beck at a club show in LA I have yet to see any of the big names live. And with Radiohead, Wilco, JJ, BH, Tom Petty, Primus, Beck, and others all on the bill, I couldn't pass this one up.

As for lodging & transportation, I'm going to be staying in a hostel & taking advantage of the bike valet service. At three nights, it will still cost me less than $100 total. I've stayed in the HI hostels several times in SF and have always had good experiences with them (other than the fact that I can never get the wireless internet to work on my laptop). Being in my late 20s and still not having the wife and kids yet, it makes the most sense when you're trying to keep on a budget.
    San Diego 10/25/00; San Diego 07/07/06; EdVed-SD 04/15/08; San Francisco 08/28/09; Los Angeles 10/07/09; San Diego 10/09/09
  • Options
    edpearsonedpearson Posts: 331
    The weekend of this show is getting closer. Is anyone on this forum planning on going? Me and my wife are only going to the Friday show (Radiohead, Beck, Cold War Kids, Black Keys, Steel Pulse, etc.). Should be a good time and single tix are still available ($85 and possibly much, much cheaper the day of the show). Anyway, if anybody in the North Bay/Sacramento area is planning on going, I'd be down with organizing some sort of carpool. I'm thinking of driving the 680 down to the Concord or Walnut Creek BART station, then taking that into the city, then hopping on another bus that takes us to GG Park. I haven't checked yet, but I'd be willing to bet that BART and SF Muni buses are running extra shifts for this event. Anyway, PM me if interested.
    Rock on!
    ~Edward

===========================
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    If you take BART in, you can just hop on the 5 bus and it will take you all the way across the City to GGPark along Fulton. It runs on a NightOwl schedule, so you'll be able to take it back, too.

Wish I could go. I live in the Presidio, but my wife and I have a 4 month old boy who we have yet to find a babysitter for. Maybe I'll just sit on my roof and listen to the show from there :)