Options

From Jack Irons to Matt Cameron

GetALifeGetALife Posts: 554
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Hi there!

"04/98 - Jack Irons leaves PJ; Matt Cameron (former Soundgarden drummer) is enlisted"

is what TFT says in its "concert chronology"...

Concerning Jack and Matt and this period I've got two (general) questions - probably discussed somewhere else, which I can't find...

Does anyone exactly know which circumstances lead to the quit of Jack?
I read about 'health problems' (his back?)...

Are there any infos about the rehearsals with which Matt became a working member of the band? Do you have interviews or comments about the rehearsal, when and how they did take place? As a fan but as a musician too I'm pretty curious...

Any help?

Thanks in advance.
# 2000: Hamburg # 2006: Berlin # 2007: Munich * Dusseldorf # 2009: Berlin * Manchester * London # 2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin # 2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen # 2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2 # EV 2017: Berlin ____  * 2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin # 2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DischordVisionDischordVision SEAttle by way of WNY Posts: 532
    there was a thread awhile back about the real reason Irons left. It had something to do w/ the band coming into the studio for Yield & Jack had very little song writing contribution. From what it said I think Eddie was a little miffed about him not having enough material. But that wasn't the main reason why he left. He had health problems, mostly amnesia or something along those lines. Plus Jack, at the time, was the only member who had a immediate family (wife & 2 kids I believe). So I don't think it was about finger pointing & they're all still real good friends. What was even better was that Soundgarden just broke up & Matt Cameron was involved w/ Wellwater Conspiracy which was his side project when away from SG. Perfect timing in that respect. Also Cameron was in fact PJ's first drummer on some of the early demos :)
    U.S. / Canada Buffalo 1996 Barrie Ontario 1998 Saratoga Springs 2000 Toronto Ontario 2000 Albany 2003 Toronto Ontario 2003 Buffalo 2003 Toronto Ontario 2005 Toledo 2004 London Ontario 2005 Seattle 2009 Vancouver B.C. 2011 Seattle 2013
  • Options
    He had health problems, mostly amnesia or something along those lines.
    Manic depression
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    RiotAct10RiotAct10 Ohio Posts: 1,613
    there was a thread awhile back about the real reason Irons left. It had something to do w/ the band coming into the studio for Yield & Jack had very little song writing contribution. From what it said I think Eddie was a little miffed about him not having enough material. But that wasn't the main reason why he left. He had health problems, mostly amnesia or something along those lines. Plus Jack, at the time, was the only member who had a immediate family (wife & 2 kids I believe). So I don't think it was about finger pointing & they're all still real good friends. What was even better was that Soundgarden just broke up & Matt Cameron was involved w/ Wellwater Conspiracy which was his side project when away from SG. Perfect timing in that respect. Also Cameron was in fact PJ's first drummer on some of the early demos :)

I am pretty sure the thread you are referring to about Jack leaving because Ed was mad he didn't do enough writing was a joke.
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)
  • Options
    thanks for your replies so far... :)
    # 2000: Hamburg # 2006: Berlin # 2007: Munich * Dusseldorf # 2009: Berlin * Manchester * London # 2010: Dublin * Belfast * Berlin # 2012: Amsterdam I & II * Berlin I & II * Stockholm * Oslo * Copenhagen # 2014: Amsterdam I & II * Milan * Trieste * Vienna * Berlin ___ # EV 2012 - Amsterdam I & II # 2 # EV 2017: Berlin ____  * 2018: Amsterdam I & II * Prague * Krakow * Berlin # 2022: Berlin- Vienna - Prague - Amsterdam I - Amsterdam II
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    If you watch Single Video Theory, you can see Jack icing down his wrists and elbows. I don't have documentation other than that clip, but I would have to wonder if he was physically able to keep up with the demands of touring and playing nightly.

I have also heard--again without published sources--that Jack was in need of some sort of reprieve due to psychological issues. Time with his family would be a concern at that point, too (assuming this was a related cause).

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    I thought that he left because of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I read an interview with William Goldsmith, who played drums for Sunny Day Real Estate and the Foo Fighters, and he said that he had to stop playing for a while because he had CTS. He said he didn't have "formal" training and it took a toll on his wrists and arms. I'm not saying Jack didn't have "formal" training but it could be a plausible explanation....
    Chicago 8-23-09

• Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    rhinomagic wrote:
    If you watch Single Video Theory, you can see Jack icing down his wrists and elbows. I don't have documentation other than that clip, but I would have to wonder if he was physically able to keep up with the demands of touring and playing nightly.

I have also heard--again without published sources--that Jack was in need of some sort of reprieve due to psychological issues. Time with his family would be a concern at that point, too (assuming this was a related cause).

On the psychological front, I know that after Hillel Slovak died he had a nervous breakdown of sorts and that's why he left the chili peppers. Maybe those issues had a bearing on him still during the Pearl Jam days. This is just speculation though.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    It was definately amnesia..I think....hmmmmmm..Not sure I remember now that I think about it...Shit...It was on the tip of my tougne...Matt was in Soundgarden? Jesus, I am having a bad day...Carry on!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    manhattanmanhattan Posts: 258
    Manic depression

This is what I heard also... except its called Bipolar now.
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    As much as i love Jack, the more dvds i watch and boots i listen to, my love of Matt's playing just grows.......

I think they made a good choice and I like how diverse their albums have been because of the drummer changes......

just another thing I love about Pearl Jam.......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    As much as i love Jack, the more dvds i watch and boots i listen to, my love of Matt's playing just grows.......

I think they made a good choice and I like how diverse their albums have been because of the drummer changes......

I agree. Every period has its own character, but Matt's my favourite drummer, too. Jack's style for example brought a new mood into the improvs - "Porch" and "RVM" sound more "chilly" in their middle parts than before, where Dave used to bang and crash like a bastard - which I often like but not all the time -, but then I miss the dynamics that Dave brought into the jams ... I think Jack wasn't that 'able', he is a 'worker', like a locomotive - reliable but sometimes a little ... well, boring ... ... to me, Matt is like the perfect mixture of a very heavy drummer who does not sound like a show-off ... more, he brought rhythmical diversity into the band's songwriting and jamming... the quality of the "RMV"- and "Porch"-jams has grown so much over the last years ... IMO the band has artistically grown with Matt like they never did before ...
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331

Amen, well said
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014