MLB 2024 Season

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    How much do you guys think Carl Crawford gets in the open market?

I read he may ask for Matt Holliday money but that will not happen. My guess would be 5 years $13 mil a year, something along those lines.

Funny thing is that crawford is much better than holiday. But teams continue to overpay for hrs and rbi
    edited July 2010
    Flagg wrote:
    Flagg wrote:
    Two absolutely dominant performances by Cliff Lee and CJ Wilson. And the lead over the dreaded Halo is now 7. And I am now drinking the red Ranger Kool-Aid. I always try to avoid it, but always give in, like some kind of alcoholic.

The Angles can suck it.

The Rangers are legit. I picked them before the season to win the Division, and now with Cliff lee, I think they can beat anyone in the playoffs, my Yankees included

Yeah, he beat the Yankees twice in the WS last year. But with the Rangers, I'll believe that when I see it.

Personally, I think they win the division. But advancing to the WS? I don't know. The blind-to-reality Rangers fan in me is ecstatic! The realist Rangers fan who has dealt with years of futility - not so much.

They are different this year though. It was so fun hearing the crowd chant "Beat L.A." all weekend.

Rangers fans have a lot to be excited about. Solid team that's gonna be in playoffs and a loaded farm system. Wait until perez and scheppers get called up. They have a ton of young beasts coming
    Post edited by The Fixer on
    the sleeping giant in south philadelphia has awoken...

As a phils fan, I'm happy with the recent success, but I'm remaining cautiously optimistic. A week ago I was ready to write this team off. The phils still have a lot of holes.

Luckily the nl sucks, so if they sneak in playoffs, they've got a shot to get back to the ws
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    Jose Bautista just hit # 29, 3 run shot

crazy he keeps going

Jays are 10-0 vs Orioles in 2010 :lol:
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Strausberg scratches because he could not get loose. Just playing it safe it sounds
  • FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Strausberg scratches because he could not get loose. Just playing it safe it sounds
    Yeah, saw that. They cannot afford to take any chances with that kid. He's their rock in the long term. Short term, he sells tickets and is pretty much the only reason for DC fans to show up. They were just talking about him on EEI, I didn't realize how his contract is structured. They gave him a partial no trade. He can only say 6 teams he won't go to, and his list can chance every year. I thought that was kinda cool for a kid straight out of the draft to get.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    How do you see this kids career panning out Cliffy? The next Nolan Ryan or the next Mark Prior?
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    How do you see this kids career panning out Cliffy? The next Nolan Ryan or the next Mark Prior?
    Toughest question EVER! Ive herad both comparisons before. If he stays healthy, then closer to Nolan, if not, then Prior. Hard to tell when he throws that hard, and with the nastiest curve Ive seen... He may need Tommy Johns in the off season just cause. Its the latest craze, seriously.

yeah, they can't mess around with him at all. Tough to say, but from the little I have seen and his numbers he seems like the real deal. It's unreal how quickly he made it to the majors. Tough to predict a mark prior so I don't see that happening. Looking forward to seeing him pitch for a long time, hopefully.
    They clearly aren't winning the division this year or next. By 2012 their wiz kid (forget his name) should be in the majors and they can more realistically look at making a run. I think they have a decent nucleus and once Dunn is off the books and they can get another solid starter to compliment Strasburg (guys like Livan just don't cut it in that division). All the attention this offseason (for pitching) will be on Cliff Lee, and I don't expect the Nats to go after him, but I could absolutely see them landing some big veteran free-agent pitcher next offseason. I have no idea who's even going to be available after the 2011 season, but if the Nats wanna be players in the NL East, they have to be looking at that need.
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    smarchee wrote:

crazy he keeps going

And that wasn't a bad throw in the 7th either.
  • smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    smarchee wrote:

crazy he keeps going

boy he's locked fucking in right now, I hope the Jays hold on to him, he has a gun in RF

not too bad a pick up for good ole JP Richardi
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    BUSTER POSEY!! Rookie of the Year and MVP :D

ROY- yes, MVP- :lol:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    smarchee wrote:
    smarchee wrote:

crazy he keeps going

boy he's locked fucking in right now, I hope the Jays hold on to him, he has a gun in RF

not too bad a pick up for good ole JP Richardi
    It's going to be interesting to see what happens when Snider gets back up. If Bautista's arm wasn't so good it would be easy to make him the permanent 3B, but it seems like a waste to have him in the infield and then there's really no place else to put Snider.
    Looks like Ben Sheets could be done for good.
    Domonic Brown...WELCOME TO PHILLY!!

Thought he went yard in his first AB...I'll settle for a double
    They clearly aren't winning the division this year or next. By 2012 their wiz kid (forget his name) should be in the majors and they can more realistically look at making a run. I think they have a decent nucleus and once Dunn is off the books and they can get another solid starter to compliment Strasburg (guys like Livan just don't cut it in that division). All the attention this offseason (for pitching) will be on Cliff Lee, and I don't expect the Nats to go after him, but I could absolutely see them landing some big veteran free-agent pitcher next offseason. I have no idea who's even going to be available after the 2011 season, but if the Nats wanna be players in the NL East, they have to be looking at that need.

Bryce Harper

The Nats don't have much to build around. Harper, Strasburg, and Zimmerman. They have Jordan Zimmermann coming back from Tommy John, he's solid. And Storen should be a decent closer. They aren't anywhere near competing for a playoff spot though. Their minor league system is among the worst in baseball, even with harper.

they need to trade dunn for prospects immediately
    Random question. Why do some stadiums have their home dugout on the 3rd base side? It always looks funny to me. Is that just me?
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Random question. Why do some stadiums have their home dugout on the 3rd base side? It always looks funny to me. Is that just me?

I've never even noticed that. where have you noticed it? that is weird
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I know for a fact the A's do and I think the Diamondbacks do as well. There a few and it looks really funny. Have been meaning to ask this for a while and I just thought of it.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I know for a fact the A's do and I think the Diamondbacks do as well. There a few and it looks really funny. Have been meaning to ask this for a while and I just thought of it.

huh, interesting. only thing i can think of is maybe the way the sun hits the dugout. maybe sun in those stadiums shines into the 1b dugout. that's my best guess...Ariz has a retractable roof so that guess kinda sucks
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    I read he may ask for Matt Holliday money but that will not happen. My guess would be 5 years $13 mil a year, something along those lines.[/quote]

Funny thing is that crawford is much better than holiday. But teams continue to overpay for hrs and rbi[/quote]

Career OPS for Crawford is .780....this year it is .866
    Career OPS for Holiday is .930....this year it is .912

I don't think it is only hrs and rbi.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think some of it has to do with there might be less sun on that side of the field. Don't hold me to it, but I'm pretty sure I read that or heard that on a broadcast once.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I think some of it has to do with there might be less sun on that side of the field. Don't hold me to it, but I'm pretty sure I read that or heard that on a broadcast once.

Interesting, that is what Fixer was thinking as well. I just always find it odd to see the home team on that side.
    Classy move by Suanders to now change his number to 34, Adenhart's number with LAA
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the jays have their home dugout on the 3rd base side ... my theory is that most pitchers are right handed ... therefore they are facing the 3rd base dugout ... it's a lot easier to catch if pitchers are tipping their pitches ...

anyhoo - i know they won't make the playoffs - but the jays are having a great season ... our new canadian gm is doing a great job in trades for brandon morrow, fred lewis and now yunel escobar ... this team can hit ... pitching depth is not great otherwise i think we could be pretty close ...
    I read he may ask for Matt Holliday money but that will not happen. My guess would be 5 years $13 mil a year, something along those lines.

Funny thing is that crawford is much better than holiday. But teams continue to overpay for hrs and rbi[/quote]

Career OPS for Crawford is .780....this year it is .866
    Career OPS for Holiday is .930....this year it is .912

I don't think it is only hrs and rbi.[/quote]

I'm biased since I think matt holiday blows. He is a butcher in LF while crawford is the best LF in baseball (I'll never forget the playoff game in '08 that he blew for the cards when he dropped the flyball in LA). I'd take crawford every time over holiday. I wonder how their WAR compare
    The Fixer wrote:
    I'm biased since I think matt holiday blows. He is a butcher in LF while crawford is the best LF in baseball (I'll never forget the playoff game in '08 that he blew for the cards when he dropped the flyball in LA). I'd take crawford every time over holiday. I wonder how their WAR compare

Exactly the same last year at 5.5. Holiday has him beat in 08 and 07 and crawford has him beat in 06. Holliday was helped out by Coors Field though.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

Exactly the same last year at 5.5. Holiday has him beat in 08 and 07 and crawford has him beat in 06. Holliday was helped out by Coors Field though.

there you go. holiday does one thing better than crawford...hit for power. crawford is the better player, but holiday will make more.
    Great decision for Baltimore, I am a big fan of Showalter. Too bad he has to work for Angelos.