Options

Seattle to Vancouver....

EddieWouldKnowEddieWouldKnow Posts: 771
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Can anyone help me out.....how long will it take to drive including border delays etc.

Mapquest said 2 1/2 - 3 hours just driving time...is this accurate?

Is the border a big hassel....or do you just show your passport and drive thru?

Please give your info!

How I choose to feel......is how I am.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Can anyone help me out.....how long will it take to drive including border delays etc.

Please give your info!

It's pretty accurate, but it really depends on the time of day. Expect the longer time frame. Once you leave the Seattle sprawl, traffic will flow pretty good for most of the trip.

The border can be a big hassle, but April is a good time to go traffic levels will be pretty low, unlike during the summer. If you have your passport then they may just ask you a couple questions about your intentions for traveling to Canada and then wave you on through. Getting back into the US can actually take longer, they get very detailed sometimes and do more car checks.
  • Options
    that time is very accurate....and depending on the day, (im assuming you would be driving over the border on the tuesday or wednesday) i dont think there would be much of a line up if you hit the border by 12 or 1, right in the middle of the day. you just say "going to vancouver for a concert" they might ask which one and blah blah blah......show a passport and you are away hopefully.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Thanks!!!

Im still hoping for a Seattle show on the 1st :D

So we would head north on the 2nd...so if we left Seattle around 1:00 we would be there in plenty of time!

Thanks again!!!
  • Options
    Thanks!!!

Im still hoping for a Seattle show on the 1st :D

So we would head north on the 2nd...so if we left Seattle around 1:00 we would be there in plenty of time!

Thanks again!!!

i WOULD NOT leave seattle as late as 1 on the second, you never know what could happen with line ups and traffic coming into vancouver, trust me. leave earlier
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    i WOULD NOT leave seattle as late as 1 on the second, you never know what could happen with line ups and traffic coming into vancouver, trust me. leave earlier

10am....11am...what time...tell me.....as if I wasnt jumpy enough right now (only about 20 min to go) :D
  • Options
    anywhere between 10 and 11 am, including food stops and whatever you just want to be safe...then you can check in with ease and see the city....
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    i think the earlier you try to go thru the border is better...
    i don't know if its cause i'm canadian but going into canada is always a breeze, going into the states is a pain in the ass.
    infact i've never had to show my passport coming back! haha
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    When I visited Vancouver a few years ago I took a bus down to Seattle to see a Mariners game (with the hidden agenda of bumping into a Pearl Jam member on the street) and it was about 3 hours or so, including the stop at the border. The bus I took was early (I think it left around 6am or so if I remember correctly), so I don't know if there are traffic patterns in the area to watch out for either. The ride back (around 7pm) seemed about the same length of time as well...
  • Options
    joseppi wrote:
    When I visited Vancouver a few years ago I took a bus down to Seattle to see a Mariners game (with the hidden agenda of bumping into a Pearl Jam member on the street) and it was about 3 hours or so, including the stop at the border. The bus I took was early (I think it left around 6am or so if I remember correctly), so I don't know if there are traffic patterns in the area to watch out for either. The ride back (around 7pm) seemed about the same length of time as well...
    ive taken the bus, it does seem generally longer but they go through the truck crossing and you dont have to wait in a long border line up like you do at the peace arch or in aldergrove...
  • Options
    Surf Life wrote:
    It's pretty accurate, but it really depends on the time of day. Expect the longer time frame. Once you leave the Seattle sprawl, traffic will flow pretty good for most of the trip.

The border can be a big hassle, but April is a good time to go traffic levels will be pretty low, unlike during the summer. If you have your passport then they may just ask you a couple questions about your intentions for traveling to Canada and then wave you on through. Getting back into the US can actually take longer, they get very detailed sometimes and do more car checks.

going into Canada is no prob, going into the USA can prove a lot harder
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957

Please give your info!

plan on 4 to 5 hours..... The border can be really bad at times, and this might be on of those times.
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • Options
    Hey - EddieWouldKnow -- I'm sending you a PM. We met up in Hawaii in 2006 (met in line and had seats next to each other, remember?). My husband and I live in the Seattle-ish area and are heading up to Vancouver - it would be great to meet up here or there or both!
  • Options
    senninsennin Posts: 2,146
    I use the Blaine truck border crossing (SUMAS)....google it...most of the time it's 100% faster.
  • Options
    sennin wrote:
    I use the Blaine truck border crossing (SUMAS)....google it...most of the time it's 100% faster.
    yah sumas is fast.. its further from van but traffic usually isnt too bad on that stretch of highway from abbotsford to about surrey
  • Options
    The train may also be an option, I caught it in Seattle the morning after the Gorge show in 2005. It was kinda cool pulling out of the Gorge campground at 5 am. The trainride itself is neat because the tracks follow the shoreline in places as opposed to the freeway.

Anyway, if I remember, you have to go through a relatively painless customs process when you get to Canada. You fill out a form on the way. I got a ride back to the states last time so I can't speak to the return trip. Someone may be able to add to this.
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    sennin wrote:

the blaine truck crossing is NOT the same thing as the Sumas crossing. they're two different crossings miles apart
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    prism wrote:
    the blaine truck crossing is NOT the same thing as the Sumas crossing. they're two different crossings miles apart

ahhh! good to know!

You'd think I'd know that, haha....I've only been across the boarder about 2033 times. :p
  • Options
    prismprism Posts: 2,440
    sennin wrote:
    ahhh! good to know!

You'd think I'd know that, haha....I've only been across the boarder about 2033 times. :p

well, I only know it because I've been across the border about 2034 times ;):p
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    angels share laughter
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
  • Options
    prism wrote:
    well, I only know it because I've been across the border about 2034 times ;):p

Well on my 2034 I'll know too! Awesome! :D
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    The train may also be an option, I caught it in Seattle the morning after the Gorge show in 2005. It was kinda cool pulling out of the Gorge campground at 5 am. The trainride itself is neat because the tracks follow the shoreline in places as opposed to the freeway.

Anyway, if I remember, you have to go through a relatively painless customs process when you get to Canada. You fill out a form on the way. I got a ride back to the states last time so I can't speak to the return trip. Someone may be able to add to this.
    Amtrak is a great way to go! The tickets are cheap if you get them ahead of time online. It's a beautiful and relaxing trip and the customs is pretty painless. You have to stand in line when you get to Vancouver and show your paperwork, then coming back, it's all done on the train. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    julieferjuliefer New Westminster, BC Posts: 377
    the train station is one skytrain stop from the venue too.
  • Options
    juliefer wrote:
    the train station is one skytrain stop from the venue too.
    Good point. We always took the train until we got our nexus cards. It really is a great way to go. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    We fly in on the 31st...and are going to rent a car to head south after the Vancouver show.

We're only able to stay until Santa Cruz....the train sounds great into Vancouver but we wouldnt have any transportation while in Seattle.

Are there alot of different crossings?

If so is the Sumas one the way to go?

Thanks again!!!!
  • Options
    mensanemensane Posts: 912
    Just so you are aware....April 1-30 is the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival in the Mount Vernon area of I-5. This can cause some backups between exits 221 and 231. If the weather is nice, the traffic can and will back up onto I-5.

Definitely use the truck crossing instead of the !-5 crossing. It can save you an hour sometimes. I would leave as early as possible. There is a lot of cool things to do in Vancouver, so if you are there way before the show, just park the car and walk around.

......better than missing the show...
  • Options
    mensane wrote:
    Just so you are aware....April 1-30 is the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival in the Mount Vernon area of I-5. This can cause some backups between exits 221 and 231. If the weather is nice, the traffic can and will back up onto I-5.

Definitely use the truck crossing instead of the !-5 crossing. It can save you an hour sometimes. I would leave as early as possible. There is a lot of cool things to do in Vancouver, so if you are there way before the show, just park the car and walk around.

......better than missing the show...

Is the I-5 crossing the Sumas one?
    The truck crossing you recommend is the Blaine?
  • Options
    Is the I-5 crossing the Sumas one?
    The truck crossing you recommend is the Blaine?
    No, just the opposite. :)
  • Options
    wolfbear wrote:
    No, just the opposite. :)

Good thing Im not Driving....:) thanks