Options

into the wild comment

peanutheadpeanuthead austin tx Posts: 35
edited January 2008 in The Porch
just my observation:

i love old pearl jam, i love new pearl jam.
i have been a fan since '92, and appreciate all of their styles. I think it is great to see eddies style develop as he gets older. I am thankful that as i get older and my taste in popular music changes, pearl jam and eddie have kept pace.

nice to hear some non-political stuff for a change.....well there are some social comments and observations on into the wild. At least it is not as in your face as i would have expected from a vedder solo album.

thanks for reading.
first comes love then comes pain. let the games begin.
'23 Fort Worth #2
'22 Oklahoma City
'09 Seattle
'07- Chicago 'THE VIC'!!
'06- st. paul'
'06-DC'
'04-boston'
'00-va beach' First show of US tour
'00-seattle' second to last show :(
'98 hartford'
'98 virginia beach
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    Good point, but this isn't really a "Vedder solo album."
    I wouldn't be surprised, if Eddie did make a true solo album of his own songs, if it was right smack in your face, in a couple of songs at least...

This is a collection of songs made specifically to go with certain scenes in a movie, and, as we know, some of the tunes weren't even written by Eddie.

I think Eddie will be back in our faces before too long...at least I hope so!

"Smiling eyes before me, inches from my face..."
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    spearhead wrote:
    Good point, but this isn't really a "Vedder solo album."
    I wouldn't be surprised, if Eddie did make a true solo album of his own songs, if it was right smack in your face, in a couple of songs at least...

This is a collection of songs made specifically to go with certain scenes in a movie, and, as we know, some of the tunes weren't even written by Eddie.

I think Eddie will be back in our faces before too long...at least I hope so!

"Smiling eyes before me, inches from my face..."

How is it not a Vedder solo album?

I agree with the original guy that it's a bit political, but not overly political. Very nice... The whole album's very nice.
    motel money murder madness
  • Options
    Curly Joe wrote:
    How is it not a Vedder solo album?

I agree with the original guy that it's a bit political, but not overly political. Very nice... The whole album's very nice.

I guess I meant that it wasn't an album of songs that Eddie sat down and wrote to express his feelings, or to get his message out there, but more the feelings of the character in the movie...he wrote those songs to fit someone else's point of view.

I love this album...I think it's without a doubt some of Eddie's best work.
    I agree it's not overtly political at all, just a couple of shots taken at general things, like in Society, and it is always nice to see any of the guys get out of their usual Pearl Jam persona and do solo material like this...that we can all agree on. Some of these songs get stuck in my head for days...every song is really good in my opinion...for me the real stand outs are Far Behind, No Ceiling, and Guaranteed, but they're all good.

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    spearhead wrote:
    I guess I meant that it wasn't an album of songs that Eddie sat down and wrote to express his feelings, or to get his message out there, but more the feelings of the character in the movie...he wrote those songs to fit someone else's point of view.

I agree it's not overtly political at all, just a couple of shots taken at general things, like in Society, and it is always nice to see any of the guys get out of their usual Pearl Jam persona and do solo material like this...that we can all agree on. Some of these songs get stuck in my head for days...every song is really good in my opinion...for me the real stand outs are Far Behind, No Ceiling, and Guaranteed, but they're all good.

I see your point & agree with your assessment of the album.
    It would be cool to hear full-band versions of some of these songs. I can imagine Ed bringing these songs into the studio as they are - just simple acoustic tunes - and see what the rest of the band could add to them.
    motel money murder madness
  • Options
    AlessianaAlessiana Posts: 329
    spearhead wrote:

Like Curly Joe, I see your point but I'd like to add that we lose perspective on music because of our times. That's cool because these ARE our times after all, but from an historical perspective this is more his work than The Marriage of Figaro is Mozart's.

Eddie wrote these words. He may have been working from original material that wasn't his own (a movie) but he interpreted it and brought his own perspective to his creation. What if he took a book and channeled that into an album. What about Yield? That was inspired by Ishmael. Is it less Eddie than something else? How about the lives of his friends?

I think it's outstanding that he's working this way. Why shouldn't he do it too? All the great musicians did. It freed them to focus on music and for a lyricist, I imagine it's very enabling.

I'm not being critical, I'm just throwing this other perspective out there. I think it's awesome. File it under food for thought.

Aless

Tell them you love them. Never let the mundane, the unimportant, or worse, the misunderstood, be the final words of parting.

Tell them.
  • Options
    Yeah, this is a pretty fine line we're talkin' here, as to whether this is technically a solo album or not, and really it doesn't matter, but maybe I was being too technical in saying it wasn't, because as you say, there is an awful lot of Eddie in these songs, even in his interpretation of the two songs he didn't write, which I think is one of his greatest talents, the way he interprets other people's music...Eddie can take a song like Hard Sun, or a song like Society, or a song like It's Okay (from Dead Moon), and make it ten times better than the original.

• Options
    I like it when he gets political. We have a lot of the same views.
    ~Changing the world...one person at a time~
    ~www.myspace.com/laurababy0105~
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    spearhead wrote:
    this isn't really a "Vedder solo album."
    "

here we go again....

its eddie vedder's first solo album, but i know what you mean.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    Off I Go.Off I Go. Posts: 204
    spearhead wrote:
    Yeah, this is a pretty fine line we're talkin' here, as to whether this is technically a solo album or not, and really it doesn't matter, but maybe I was being too technical in saying it wasn't, because as you say, there is an awful lot of Eddie in these songs, even in his interpretation of the two songs he didn't write, which I think is one of his greatest talents, the way he interprets other people's music...Eddie can take a song like Hard Sun, or a song like Society, or a song like It's Okay (from Dead Moon), and make it ten times better than the original.
    You are dead right!!I couldnt agree more --well maybe not just ten times better but twenty times better !!!
    The waiting drove me mad!!!
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    spearhead wrote:

Some of these songs get stuck in my head for days...every song is really good in my opinion...for me the real stand outs are Far Behind, No Ceiling, and Guaranteed, but they're all good.

Very much agree, it flows beautifully as an album....

Ed's voice sounds really full on it, I love 'the wolf', man, his voice.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    here we go again....

its eddie vedder's first solo album, but i know what you mean.

I think of ITW as an Eddie solo EP actually. Calling it an "album" would be a bit much IMO. There are 11 songs on there, 2 of them are covers, 2 of them instrumentals, which leaves 7 full-fledged original Eddie songs. So I like to think of it more as an EP (not to diminish it'S greatness though, I love ITW whether you wanna call it album or not).
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    spearhead wrote:

you dont think those songs reflect ed's feelings? why do you think he was chosen to do that soundtrack? whoever approached ed (though i dont know for sure, i'm figuring it was sean penn) to do that soundtrack knew exactly what they were doing. i listened to that album for weeks before i saw the movie and i totally felt and heard ed's inner voice in all of them, even society and hard sun. when i finally got to see the movie(the first of many viewings) i was so overwhelmed by how symbiotic that relationship was i was literally moved to to tears. no movie has touched me quite like into the wild. and i know the soundtrack had a great deal to do with my identifying so closely with the story. the songs just fit so well, you know? :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    i listened to that album for weeks before i saw the movie and i totally felt and heard ed's inner voice in all of them, even society and hard sun. when i finally got to see the movie(the first of many viewings) i was so overwhelmed by how symbiotic that relationship was i was literally moved to to tears. no movie has touched me quite like into the wild. and i know the soundtrack had a great deal to do with my identifying so closely with the story. the songs just fit so well, you know? :)

I hear you.....

i had a similar experience this weekend after seeing the movie for the first time.....

was really quite moved by it.....and the music fits so well.....

definately one of my all time favourite films/albums, just need the book now....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton