Sublime w/ Rome

Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
edited August 2011 in Other Music
Anybody seen them live with Mr. Ramirez on lead yet? I think I'm going in July. Just wanted to see what others' impressions were. I figure you can't go wrong. Should be a good time.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• frankly I'm surprised there isn't more buzz around this band.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    That's because it's an obvious cash-in.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • why can't any artist move on without their dead lead singer without it being called a cash-in? was AC/DC a cash in? AIC?

I would say it would qualify as a cash-in ONLY if they weren't making new music together (like the Doors of the 21st Century). But these guys are, so I wouldn't call it that.
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    I saw them last Wed. in the Seattle area. It was great, the dude did a great job filling in for Brad without trying to be him. Cashing in or not this is great summer music and should be heard live. by the way, there was more pot smoked at this show than i can ever remember.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    couldn't imagine seeing them with Brad
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    Sublime never had the chance to tour their biggest album because Bradley died before its release
    All of those hits have hardly ever been played live.

I don't blame the band for wanting to do this.

The music is pretty timeless and i'm not even a Sublime fan.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
    why can't any artist move on without their dead lead singer without it being called a cash-in? was AC/DC a cash in? AIC?

I would say it would qualify as a cash-in ONLY if they weren't making new music together (like the Doors of the 21st Century). But these guys are, so I wouldn't call it that.
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    They're effectively replacing half of their band, 14 years after his death. Makes you think that the royalty checks must be drying up to suddenly come back. Besides that, Brad's estate had to sue them because they refused to give up the Sublime name - makes you think they want the draw it brings.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    424, xxx
  • yeah, ok, I supposed that's a good point about half the band. why wouldn't they want the draw that the name brings? Obviously they plan on playing Sublime songs. It's like when Blind Melon did it. Shannon Hoon was arguably the face and sound of that band. Had that band NOT used that band name, I may not have realized that was who was touring and had the opportunity to see them live, which was fantastic. So I think it's beneficial for the band AND the fan.
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    why can't any artist move on without their dead lead singer without it being called a cash-in? was AC/DC a cash in? AIC?

Back_Pedal wrote:
    They're effectively replacing half of their band, 14 years after his death. Makes you think that the royalty checks must be drying up to suddenly come back. Besides that, Brad's estate had to sue them because they refused to give up the Sublime name - makes you think they want the draw it brings.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    I saw them in May in Philly. Fun show. Definitely suprised to find how young the crowd was (like 19 - 22)... these kids were in diapers when the self-titled album dropped. That being said, I have no problem with them touring as "Sublime with Rome," but they're not "Sublime" and never will be.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

Back_Pedal wrote:
    layne wasn't aic and it was jerry's band anyways. sublime was/is brad nowell.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    do they have any new material or are they only playing sublime tunes?

ah, sublime...when i think of good times in college, sublime naturally comes to mind cuz we played 40 oz NON STOP like it was nobody's business.

would've been so interesting to see where they would have gone had brad not passed...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757

ah, sublime...when i think of good times in college, sublime naturally comes to mind cuz we played 40 oz NON STOP like it was nobody's business.

would've been so interesting to see where they would have gone had brad not passed...

They're planning on releasing on a new album. But they're not Sublime, they're "Sublime w/ Rome" - just so all these soft vag's don't freak out about how it's really not Sublime.
    seeing these guys down in virginia on the 29th.

this rome ramirez cat seems pretty talented. he's not brad, obviously. nobody is. from what i've read the other dudes have resisted doing anything with the sublime name in it for years, despite the label wanting them to. but rome has so much talent and can bust out the old sublime songs almost as well as brad, they decided to give it a go. i think they felt like he was talented enough for them to kind of honor brad and be able to use the name or something. whatever. i'm okay with it. it's been a decade and a half.

i actually sort of like the new tunes too.

anyone seen them on this tour yet?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • do they have any new material or are they only playing sublime tunes?

They're planning on releasing on a new album. But they're not Sublime, they're "Sublime w/ Rome" - just so all these soft vag's don't freak out about how it's really not Sublime.

No they're Sublime W/Rome because Brad's family sued over the use of the name Sublime.

I dont care for the single they released. It just sounds like theyre trying too hard to duplicate their old sound, including the vocals.
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog

No they're Sublime W/Rome because Brad's family sued over the use of the name Sublime.

I dont care for the single they released. It just sounds like theyre trying too hard to duplicate their old sound, including the vocals.

that's only because brad trademarked the "sublime" under his own name and had sole ownership.

i don't think they're "trying too hard." it's just the sound they are used to playing and have been playing even after brad's death in various bands.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Yada yada yada.."brad was sublime and they never will be anything close to what they were"..give me a break this dude was a herion adict who probably never hit his true potential. yes they were damn good with brad and he was the original and very very talented but I donk think you can label him as the whole band. His story is sad and its a shame that hes not around but give the other original band members some credit and give rome a shot.

With that said I need 2 for tonights show in chicago. Anyone have some lucky extras?
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • gibbitsgibbits Posts: 500
    Haven't heard the new Sublime single but Rome kinda sucks and the Dirty Heads were terrible. If Sublime w/Rome is just Sublime w/Dirty Heads lead singer I can't see this shit lasting long... then again who knows with the college crowd.
    Sublime kicked ass last night in chicago. Great venue great atmosphere. Older and young. Rome is real good!
    Wma31394 wrote:
    Sublime kicked ass last night in chicago. Great venue great atmosphere. Older and young. Rome is real good!

....how big was the venue? was it full?

place i'm seeing them holds about 15k. i can't imagine them filling that place...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    I'm seeing these guys open for 311 tomorrow night in Cincinnati. I've never heard Rome at all so hopefully it's decent. I'll report back after I see them.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
    Place probably held 10k or so. Not packed. Mostly GA..
  • capthowdy1027capthowdy1027 Posts: 3,270
    Seen them a few nights ago. They were decent. They only played a couple of new songs and the crowd was really into them and knew all the old material so that was cool. Rome's voice worked pretty good for some songs, but not so much on others. I'll classify it as I'm glad I can say I seen them but it was nothing too great.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I've seen them twice now with Rome, and I have to say that I was impressed. I love Sublime almost as much as I love PJ, and I never got to see them with Brad, so I figured why not? Rome has a pretty great voice and I was surprised when they played some tunes off Robbin' the Hood - great setlists and the crowd had a great energy both times.

To be honest though, if I had the choice between seeing Badfish or Sublime w/ Rome, I would go with Badfish. They usually play HOB (my fave venue) and their setlists are longer and deeper. Not to mention the show is cheaper. I highly recommend checking them out if they come to your town!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
    saw them on friday. was pretty impressed. new songs are cool. loved hearing the old school tunes though. i really think rome has a great voice. i think he represented the band and brad well.

only thing is my friend thought they were coming on at 7:30. they came out a half hour earlier so we missed a good chunk of their set. unfortunately we got to see all of 311's. they stink (other than a few songs imo)

hope to see sublime w/rome again.
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Against my better judgement I gave the album a try, and it's actually not bad. Rome has a good voice and it still sounds like Sublime, albeit a lot more friendly than the Brad version. I miss the occasional punk freakouts, but I can live without them. That said, I probably wouldn't have listened at all if "Sublime" wasn't in the name...
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    424, xxx
  • surforiasurforia SoCal Posts: 346
    I caught these guys with 311 in philly... they sounded great... it always depresses me listening to them, though, because it makes me think of what could have been if Bradley was still alive. That being said, Rome is very talented and does the old songs justice. They played a ton off 40oz. including "Don't Push", "Scarlet Begonias", "Smoke Two Joints", "Right Back", "What Happened", "Date Rape", "We're Only Gonna Die," and a bunch more... Also played "Greatest Hits" off Robbin' the Hood... good times.
    9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 8/18/00, 10/8/00, 10/9/00, 4/28/03, 6/22/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/2/04, 10/5/04, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/28/06, 6/20/08, 6/25/08, 10/27/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/22/16, 9/26/21, 10/1/21, 10/2/21, 5/3/22, 5/6/22
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    Anyone seem them lately?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis