Options

Why the are the holiday singles on Record?

2»

Comments

• Options
    rolenrockrolenrock Posts: 312
    You want to know the Number one reason?

TRADITION.

If you want the mp3... I am sure there is a torrent out there somewhere that has ALL of the mp3's of ALL of the holiday singles.. Go ahead and download it if you want lifeless music.

Vinyl is the only medium that exists which plays the music AS INTENDED ... ANALOG.. not in 1's and 0's.

If you are accustomed to listening to only an mp3 player or the radio.. you haven't really HEARD MUSIC.
    2009: Philly Night 2
    2010: MSG Night 1 and Night 2
    2011: Eddie Vedder Solo in Philly, PJ20 Alpine Valley Day 1 and Day 2.
    2012: Berlin Night 1(7/4)
    2013: Wrigley Field, Philly 1 and 2
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,499
    In 1991, when the first fan club single was issued, vinyl was not "nostalgic." It was still a viable format. Most singles were released on 7-inch vinyl in 1991. By the time the 7-inch single became extinct, Pearl Jam had established a tradition. The fact that the holiday single is on vinyl is a key part of the tradition. It also makes it feel like more of a unique and special item, and is more conducive to artwork than a CD single. At this point, the songs generally become available as MP3s, so even those without turntables get to hear the songs.

Incidentally, I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but you can purchase a turntable if you really want to listen to your fan club singles. A basic model doesn't cost much more than $100.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    rolenrockrolenrock Posts: 312
    BF25394 wrote:
    In 1991, when the first fan club single was issued, vinyl was not "nostalgic." It was still a viable format. Most singles were released on 7-inch vinyl in 1991. By the time the 7-inch single became extinct, Pearl Jam had established a tradition. The fact that the holiday single is on vinyl is a key part of the tradition. It also makes it feel like more of a unique and special item, and is more conducive to artwork than a CD single. At this point, the songs generally become available as MP3s, so even those without turntables get to hear the songs.

Incidentally, I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but you can purchase a turntable if you really want to listen to your fan club singles. A basic model doesn't cost much more than $100.

Sorry BF.. I beat you to the Tradition fact by a couple minutes!

The future will be owned by VINYL and MP3 formats.. FOREVER. Goodbye CDs.
    2009: Philly Night 2
    2010: MSG Night 1 and Night 2
    2011: Eddie Vedder Solo in Philly, PJ20 Alpine Valley Day 1 and Day 2.
    2012: Berlin Night 1(7/4)
    2013: Wrigley Field, Philly 1 and 2
  • Options
    Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Why does somebody ask this every year. I'll say it again (although I don't expect anyone to listen), If you don't like the way TenClub does things, DO NOT renew your membership. Its that simple.
    I guess because you have been a member on the message board for so long, you are entitled to answer this question as arrogantly as possible, because you probably are, like, the biggest Pearl Jam fan ever. Agree?

The man asked a simple question, and I think it deserves a simple answer, and might I add, a little respect as well. Not one person can know everything about this band. My best guess as to why the holiday singles are on vinyl is because they date back to '91, and back then the band were huge vinyl advocates. Obviously now the times have changed drastically, but I guarantee you if they decided to switch the Holiday Single to being a download only, or a CD single. People would flip out as much as people are now because it's on vinyl. Its impossible to please everyone.

I know for a fact that I'm FAR down the list of the "biggest Pearl Jam fan ever", but the OP has been on here for 2 years, and this redundant question pops up every year following the release of the Xmas single. It just gets annoying.
    "It's all happening"