Why the are the holiday singles on Record?

corduroykellycorduroykelly Posts: 668
edited June 2010 in The Porch
It is pointless it cant be used accept for at home if you do have a record player, not many do so why not put these songs on a cd so people can put the songs on ipods or play it in your car on cd or stereo at home? Wouldn't that be better?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    To add meaning to Spin the Black Circle.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Why does somebody ask this every year. I'll say it again (although I don't expect anyone to listen), If you don't like the way TenClub does things, DO NOT renew your membership. Its that simple.
    "It's all happening"
  • klusterfukklusterfuk Posts: 1,411
    drop the fucking needle
    The future's paved with better days

Alpine Valley Resort is etched in my brain!!!

• corduroykellycorduroykelly Posts: 668
    edited June 2010
    Why does somebody ask this every year. I'll say it again (although I don't expect anyone to listen), If you don't like the way TenClub does things, DO NOT renew your membership. Its that simple.

What does renewing your membership have to do with the annual single being on record? It's just an idea. Do you have those? You know ideas...........
    Did you have this attitude when Eddie Vedder would go on stage complaining about President Geoge W. Bush and the Iraq war? Maybe Eddie Vedder should have stopped complaining and just moved out of the country. LOL
    Forget free speech.

Why does someone always say then don't renew your membership? LOL
    Post edited by corduroykelly on
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited June 2010
    I don't have a record player yet I do own some PJ records and intend to get more as I can afford them. I've never played one of my holiday singles but I love getting them. It is like when I was a kid going down to the record store to buy 45s or 33s (and I bought some real shit then I can tell ya!). There is just something cool about records - be it the art, the way you have to be so careful with them, the nostalga - whatever it is, this is what the holiday single is all about. One day I'll have my own music room with a turntable and then I'll enjoy them all.

I've never had a problem tracking down mp3s of these singles to listen to. No malice intended, but if you don't want yours, I'll fairly compensate you to post them to me so I can have the ones I missed out on and I'll email you the mp3s. :)
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • CazzaBGirlCazzaBGirl Posts: 234
    I don't have a record player yet I do own some PJ records and intend to get more as I can afford them. I've never played a one of my holiday singles but I love getting them. It is like when I was a kid going down to the record store to buy 45s or 33s. There is just something cool about records - be it the art, the way you have to be so careful with them, the nostalga - whatever it is, this is what the holiday single is all about. One day I'll have my own music room with a turntable and then I'll enjoy them all.

I've never had a problem tracking down mp3s of these singles to listen to. No malice intended, but if you don't want yours, I'll fairly compensate you to post them to me so I can have the ones I missed out on and I'll email you the mp3s. :)

Im with you Paul and love collecting my LP's and holiday singles even if i cant play them ;)
    Hold on to the thread....The currents will shift....Glide me towards you....

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life....
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    CazzaBGirl wrote:
    I don't have a record player yet I do own some PJ records and intend to get more as I can afford them. I've never played a one of my holiday singles but I love getting them. It is like when I was a kid going down to the record store to buy 45s or 33s. There is just something cool about records - be it the art, the way you have to be so careful with them, the nostalga - whatever it is, this is what the holiday single is all about. One day I'll have my own music room with a turntable and then I'll enjoy them all.

Im with you Paul and love collecting my LP's and holiday singles even if i cant play them ;)

Hey Cazza, good to see ya :)

My collection is small but there is just something nice about the vinyl, a period of history, a simpler time, maybe the fact you often heard your favourite band's new song for the first time when you played that record. I guess unless you remember opening a record and placing it on a turntable it is difficult to explain that feeling of excitement and wonder. STBC sums it up. The subtle differences between CD and record are huge when you replay the images in your mind of how it used to be. Today the machine largely does it for you. These days I've heard most of an album before i buy it, or I can if i want. Back in the 70s and 80s there was no mass communication or interwebs like today. Many of the bands I liked got little radio airtime andthe ones that did are largely forgotten (deservedly so) today.
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171

What does renewing your membership have to do with the annual single being on record? It's just an idea. Do you have those? You know ideas...........
    Did you have this attitude when Eddie Vedder would go on stage complaining about President Geoge W. Bush and the Iraq war? Maybe Eddie Vedder should have stopped complaining and just moved out of the country. LOL
    Forget free speech.

Why does someone always say then don't renew your membership? LOL
    Because people around here have an obsession with people leaving their "exclusive" little club and getting a 10c number that's one higher. It's kind of sad.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I'm gonna use mine as a frisbee when I head to cape cod with the family Or maybe even a coaster for an ice cold brew.
  • brainofebrainofe Posts: 263
    I think that the reason the holiday single has always been on vinyl is that the band has always had some fasination with the format, they even wrote a song about it. I think they even released Vitalogy in vinyl a week or so before the CD/cassette versions came out. Also, I remember watching the movie Hype!, and it talks about how all those Seattle bands would press their own vinyl because that was the cheapest way to distribute their music. So I guess, they send the single out on vinyl because they want to share something they love with all of us. Is it inconvienient? Yes, but isn't most of what the 10C does inconvienient anyway?
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Pearl JamesPearl James Posts: 420
    I guess because you have been a member on the message board for so long, you are entitled to answer this question as arrogantly as possible, because you probably are, like, the biggest Pearl Jam fan ever. Agree?

The man asked a simple question, and I think it deserves a simple answer, and might I add, a little respect as well. Not one person can know everything about this band. My best guess as to why the holiday singles are on vinyl is because they date back to '91, and back then the band were huge vinyl advocates. Obviously now the times have changed drastically, but I guarantee you if they decided to switch the Holiday Single to being a download only, or a CD single. People would flip out as much as people are now because it's on vinyl. Its impossible to please everyone.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    I guess because you have been a member on the message board for so long, you are entitled to answer this question as arrogantly as possible, because you probably are, like, the biggest Pearl Jam fan ever. Agree?

The man asked a simple question, and I think it deserves a simple answer, and might I add, a little respect as well. Not one person can know everything about this band. My best guess as to why the holiday singles are on vinyl is because they date back to '91, and back then the band were huge vinyl advocates. Obviously now the times have changed drastically, but I guarantee you if they decided to switch the Holiday Single to being a download only, or a CD single. People would flip out as much as people are now because it's on vinyl. Its impossible to please everyone.

OP is a woman

just saying

indian summer has always been like that :lol::lol:
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,990
    I don't have a record player yet I do own some PJ records and intend to get more as I can afford them. I've never played one of my holiday singles but I love getting them. It is like when I was a kid going down to the record store to buy 45s or 33s (and I bought some real shit then I can tell ya!). There is just something cool about records - be it the art, the way you have to be so careful with them, the nostalga - whatever it is, this is what the holiday single is all about. One day I'll have my own music room with a turntable and then I'll enjoy them all.

+1

More than something you listen to, I see these vinyl records as collectibles (I wouldn't if they were cd's).
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    appreciation for the old school................means a lot to me.
  • dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    i'd probably quit the club if the holiday single was not vinyl anymore.

ohbytheway, where is mine? is anyone else still waiting?
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    It's a tradition and a novelty. Its a fun "plus thing" whitout the regard of "how will the fans play it?" so I don't think they should change it for CD or whatever. But maybe offer a download of it for a dollar given to charity or something.

But for being vinyl lovers why did they fuck up the Backsapcer vinyl so much? ;)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dreamcodedreamcode Posts: 165
    For us who haven´t seen the Backspacer vinyl - enlighten us. In what way do you think PJ fucked up the Backspacer vinyl?
    And he still gives his love,
    he just gives it away...
  • LowlightLowlight Posts: 101
    I remember reading a while back that the band learned the Library of Congress backs up important recordings on vinyl, because it lasts almost forever. No idea when / where I picked this up, but for what it's worth, maybe that contributed to the distribution of the single on record.
    Detroit 10-7-00 Buffalo 5-2-03 Boston 7-2-03 Camden 7-6-03 Boston 7-11-03 Boston 5-25-06 Camden 5-27-06 Hartford 6-27-08 Boston 6-28-08 Boston 6-30-08 Hartford 5-15-10 Boston 5-17-10 Chicago 7-19-13 Brooklyn 10-18-13 Brooklyn 10-19-13 Hartford 10-25-13 Moline 10-17-14 St. Paul 10-19-14 Milwaukee 10-20-14 Boston 8-5-16 Boston 8-7-16 Chicago 8-20-16 Chicago 8-22-16 Seattle 8-8-18 Boston 9-2-18 Boston 9-4-18 New York City 9-11-22
  • I for one like the record. It's something that you basically can't reproduce at home. I mean if they sent you a "christmas" cd people could just burn it and bam dozens of them. I mean what's the big deal if it's on record it's not like the mp3 files aren't all over the internet in like a day or two. I don't see why it's such a big deal for people who don't have a record player. Just keep it as something to collect. Or hell invest in a record player.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Why don't they just email us an mp3?

Vinyl is cool and nostalgic for many, but yeah, I'd rather have a CD.. an mp3 download along with the vinyl would make me happy.. I'm almost considering get of rid of my fan club singles. I've never played them and never will.

I understand the the benefits of vinyl, but it's not worth it to me. I'm not a collector or an audiophile.

"Collector" is just the politically correct term for hoarder. :lol:

Materialistic people.. To me, it's just "stuff". I say save some trees and carbons and go digital.
  • cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    They could do both, send out the vinyl and allow members to download mp3s....

... would that make everyone happy? :)
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • KarleyKarley Posts: 506
    If they wouldn't send it out as vinyl, your early 90s Christmas Singles would be digital rubbish by now!

Vinyl and accompanied MP3 download is a good idea though.
    <object height="305" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="305" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/playlists/1168750&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" favorite tracks!</a> by <a href="
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,333
    Karley wrote:
    Vinyl and accompanied MP3 download is a good idea though.
  • EasyEEasyE Posts: 66
    The Pearl Jam "Christmas" single was an idea borrowed from the Beatles Fan Club, which sent 45s and other stuff to fan club members in the mid-1960s. (For more: http://www.beatlesagain.com/beatles-chr ... cords.html)

So, the Pearl Jam 45s are kind of a tribute and rock tradition. They're fun and digital rips can be easily acquired.
  • Maybe the question isn't why are the singles on vinyl but instead why don't you have a record player?
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • KimbaKimba Posts: 54
    Since you have the need to ask that question, I feel sorry for you and will pray for your Enlightenment some day.
    "We were but stones, your light made us stars"
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,168
    Oh my goodness people. So much for having an appreciation for intellectual curiousity!! I kinda assumed it was a PJ thing and never really questioned it, although I myself do not have a record player and just have my Christmas singles stashed in a drawer somewhere. I will probably purchase a turntable at some point which is why I still have them but my little NYC apartment just can't take anymore stuff!
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Posts: 1,029
    Ed has always loved vinyl. So it is a good way to have something that you dont see to much. I dont have a record player & have never listened to them but thats the way i like it.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14 Budapest 22 Krakow 22 Amsterdam 22 St Paul 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 23 Chicago 1&2 24 New York 1 24 Philly 1&2 24 Boston 1&2 24 Gold Coast 24 Melbourne 1 24 Sydney 1&2 24
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,190
    If you're looking for digital versions of the songs:

http://www.gremmie.net/?page_id=139

It's easy enough to rip, so why not get the best of both worlds? Even if you don't have a record player, you have a pile of collectibles.
  • topaztopaz Posts: 301
    here's a couple of points

the sound quality is considered to be better (analogue). i personally find this to be true

and arguably vinyl is meant to last longer than the cd/mp3 technology