Options

Haiti Relief needed - Diphtheria Epidemic

KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,776
edited June 2010 in The Porch
Diphtheria Epidemic Threatens Haiti -- Help Through Jenkins-Penn Haitian Relief Organization

If you've been to a recent Pearl Jam show, you may have heard Eddie speaking about J/P HRO (Jenkins-Penn Haitian Relief Organization).

Haiti continues to need our help as a deadly diphtheria epidemic threatens the country. Check out the latest in an interview with Sean Penn and Anderson Cooper http://jphrodonate.org/multimedia/31-an ... 360-582010

and donate or volunteer here http://jphrodonate.org/

About JPHRO:

Founded by actor and humanitarian Sean Penn and philanthropist Diana Jenkins, who has since moved on to other philanthropic efforts, J/P HRO began its work just hours after the earthquake hit. Through their previous relief efforts—including Sean's experience helping to rebuild New Orleans after hurricane Katrina—they had amassed a large network of emergency management and government contacts, who they mobilized to take immediate action in Haiti.

Less than a week after the disaster, J/P HRO was on the ground in Haiti, bringing much needed medical supplies and a team of doctors. Their team immediately went to work, treating patients, delivering medical supplies and equipment, and providing food to numerous camps and orphanages.

In the months since the earthquake, they have built a strong network of doctors and emergency management volunteers who have made tremendous progress on the ground. This team includes many Haitian employees, including translators, security, drivers, doctors, and nurses.

Among J/P HRO's many accomplishments, they have recently taken over management of the United Nations International Organisation for Migration (UNIOM) refugee camp of over 50,000 people in Petionville. J/P HRO is now overseeing the relocation of IDPs over the coming weeks to protect them from the rain and mudslides in their current location.
Falling down,...not staying down
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mavimavi Posts: 941
    Thanks for posting this. I think it's really important that we don't soon forget. What happened in Haiti will affect the already insanely poor country for many, many years to come. So many things we take for granted, so many unnecessary things we spend $10 in week after week.

For those of you who saw Pearl Jam this tour, just think of how privileged we are. Donate what you can: Money, your time, it all helps.
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,354
    thanks for the post....bump
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Keeping it up there. Diphtheria is a nasty disease. My husband was lucky to not die of it as a young man, due to the sharp eyes of a family doctor, and made a full recovery. It takes people QUICKLY and its easy to take for granted that we don't get it, but other countries are not so fortunate.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    VedrtekVedrtek Posts: 12
    Having gone to Port Au Prince Haiti myself and assisted those in dire need of medical attention post earthquake, words and photos cannot describe the dire situation that exists. The Haitian community must not be forgotten and thank you Pearl Jam and especially Sean Penn for all your dedication.
    Vedrtek
  • Options
    arqarq Posts: 7,940
    I'll try to work another Haiti fundraiser :(
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Options
    JoJo Posts: 2,098
    I get really bummed when I can't put toward these things.
    I live on a fortnight to fortnight cheque, and even then, have to 'chit' bread,milk and dogfood at the local petrol station.
    I put gold coins in the local " Good Samaritans", but thats about it for now.
    I just hope in the meantime, some of you will help where it's needed.

long live PJ
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    The Loganator (my 7 year old) and I were at the Hartford concert when Eddie announced the great work that Sean Penn and group were doing in Haiti... The Loganator remembered the ease (JP vs PJ) of remembering the name of the group... He has been hounding me each day since the concert and I am proud on his behalf to say that we gave tonight and he is really glad we could help...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,447
    How is it that this thread has only 7 responses, yet threads where people debate the most useless topics get dozens and dozens of responses?

Count me in for a donation, and one in honor of Jo as well!
  • Options
    Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    If you were listening to PJ Radio just now, you heard what to do...

Do it...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    krzzzymarykrzzzymary Posts: 458
    A cause worth giving to for sure!
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    krzzzymary wrote:
    A cause worth giving to for sure!

+1 :clap:
    Honolulu Dec 2, 2006
    Seattle Sept 21 & 22 2009
    Portland Sept 26, 2009
    Madison Square Garden May 20 & 21, 2010
    Bridge School Oct 23 & 24, 2010
    Alpine Valley - PJ20 Sept 3 & 4, 2011
    DeLuna Sept 21, 2012
    Atlanta Sept 22, 2012
    Missoula Sept 30, 2012
    Wrigley Field July 19, 2013
    Portland Nov 29, 2013
    Spokane Nov 30, 2013
    Vancouver Dec 4, 2013
    Seattle Dec 6, 2013
    Tulsa Oct 8, 2014
    Lincoln Oct 9, 2014
    Telluride July 9, 2016
    Boston Aug 5 & 7, 2016
    Chicago 20 & 21, 2016
    New York Apr 7, 2017
    Seattle 8 & 10, 2018
    Missoula Aug 13, 2018
  • Options
    If you were listening to PJ Radio just now, you heard what to do...

Do it...

yup
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    Vedrtek wrote:
    Having gone to Port Au Prince Haiti myself and assisted those in dire need of medical attention post earthquake, words and photos cannot describe the dire situation that exists. The Haitian community must not be forgotten and thank you Pearl Jam and especially Sean Penn for all your dedication.

Wow!
    Good for you.
    We need more loving souls like you.
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    What a great cause! Bump
  • Options
    JoJo Posts: 2,098
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    How is it that this thread has only 7 responses, yet threads where people debate the most useless topics get dozens and dozens of responses?

Thanks! :D

( I don't spose you want to donate my member$hip to these forums aswell?.....it's OVERDUE :? ..)

Keep up the great humanitarian work people, I am in awe of the generosity of....dare I say it.....the JAMILY!!!
    through all different kinds of charity :D I know every little bit helps.....just because Hiati is no longer in the news, doesn't mean people have stopped suffering. The kindness and help these people recieve, will be passed on by them in the future.

Long live PJ and good deeds. :P
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

And why does it still only have a few posts and hardly any bumps?
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    PJ5a1PJ5a1 Oceanside, NY Posts: 423
    Maybe people feel the US should help our own country. For example Louisiana. Damn state has been through a lot the last 4 years and we forget about our own but we'll be the first to help Haiti. Understood they need the help but let's fix our own before we help other countries.
    If I were Eddie Vedder, would you like me any better? - Local H
  • Options
    PJ5a1 wrote:
    Maybe people feel the US should help our own country. For example Louisiana. Damn state has been through a lot the last 4 years and we forget about our own but we'll be the first to help Haiti. Understood they need the help but let's fix our own before we help other countries.

I see your point and I know many people in this country feel the same way.
    But also this is a Pearl Jam board and Sean Penn has allot to do with raising funds for Haiti. And Sean is a SUPER good friend of Ed's.
    AND we know this fundraising is all legit compared to some others that go around.
    Michael Franti