Options

what year is Ed's black telecaster he plays?

Rival178Rival178 Posts: 608
edited June 2010 in The Porch
what year is Ed's black telecaster he plays? Anyone know the other years and guitars that Mike and Stone use?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Looks like a 72' to me but hard to say for sure. I'm a bit of a telecaster fan and really like Ed's collection. Mike plays a pretty battered 59' strat which is probably my favourite of his. I had a guitar mag with Mike and Stone a while back and I'm sure I must still have it so if it turns up I'll scan the interviews and photos if you're interested. :)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    Looks like a 72' to me but hard to say for sure. I'm a bit of a telecaster fan and really like Ed's collection. Mike plays a pretty battered 59' strat which is probably my favourite of his. I had a guitar mag with Mike and Stone a while back and I'm sure I must still have it so if it turns up I'll scan the interviews and photos if you're interested. :)

Yes I would love to see that article! Thanks!
  • Options
    EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    You got a pic of the specific one you want to know about? He's had a few black Schecter Telecasters as well as Fenders.

Are you talking about the Black Fender with the Zinn and MR stickers on it?
  • Options
    Pearl DrummerPearl Drummer Posts: 4,617
    mikes beat up 59 strat is my fav as well
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    whats really cool is Mike uses a few FAKE guitars ... some guy made him a few they look just like the real thing . the only reason he uses them is cause he gets a sound out of them that he cant from a real one
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    joe2468 wrote:
    whats really cool is Mike uses a few FAKE guitars ... some guy made him a few they look just like the real thing . the only reason he uses them is cause he gets a sound out of them that he cant from a real one

like imaginary fake, or like copies.....LOTS of players use Nash guitars nowadays
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    mavimavi Posts: 941
    This one?

1.jpg
    "He who hears music, feels his solitude peopled at once" R. Browning
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    joe2468 wrote:

like imaginary fake, or like copies.....LOTS of players use Nash guitars nowadays

im talking complete fakes ... i dont remember the name of the one i saw or what year it was ... but when i was looking at Mikes cabinet of guitars on 5/20/10 his guitar tech told me it was a fake . that some guy made it and gave to him as a joke .. Mikes used it a few times then fell in love with it.. and the guy made him one or two more ...

at was heavy as hell and was a light tan color ...
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    Rival178 wrote:
    what year is Ed's black telecaster he plays? Anyone know the other years and guitars that Mike and Stone use?

You should ask the nice folks in the Musicians and Gearheads section of the Forum.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    I think the one I thought was a 72' is actually a 63'. I don't know if everything is original on it or not because I thought the 60's issue models were all maple fretboards? It's nice anyway and if he ever gets bored with it I'll gladly take it off his hands.. ;)
    http://www.giventowail.com/site/gearDetail.php?id=4
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    mavi wrote:
    This one?

1.jpg

Yep, that's the one I'm wanting to know the year of.
  • Options
    That guitar is much newer that that. It has 6 separate bridge saddles and not the old 3 barrel style Tele bridge. That guitar is from the late 80's or newer.
  • Options
    Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    That guitar is much newer that that. It has 6 separate bridge saddles and not the old 3 barrel style Tele bridge. That guitar is from the late 80's or newer.
    He could have had the bridge replaced.
  • Options
    It is indeed, a partscaster.

There are parts from a 60's era tele though.
  • Options
    He could have had the bridge replaced.

That is true. The guitar could actually be an Esquire and had the bridge pickup put in where no pickup had been. The neck could be switched out from maple to a rosewood board. It is hard to tell with all the modifications that are done these days.
  • Options
    EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    To me it just looks like a 90's American Standard Tele with a custom neck pick-up.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    joe2468 wrote:
    ... but when i was looking at Mikes cabinet of guitars on 5/20/10
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    i'm impressed.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    vitovito Chicago Posts: 1,485
    The black Schecter he uses was a gift to him from Pete Townshend, as was the numbered Gibson Les Paul he uses in Immortality from Imagine in Cornice.
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1992
    SUMMERFEST MILWAUKEE 1995
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 1998
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO1998
    THOMPSON-BOLING ARENA KNOXVILLE 1998
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2000
    ALLSTATE ARENA ROSEMONT 2000
    ALPINE VALLEY MUSIC THEATRE 2003
    HERSHEYPARK STADIUM 2003
    TOLEDO SPORTS ARENA 2004
    AIR CANADA CENTRE TORONTO 2005
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2006
    VERIZON CENTER DC 2008
    UNITED CENTER CHICAGO 2009
    NATIONWIDE ARENA COLUMBUS 2010
    PJ20 NIGHT 1 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    PJ20 NIGHT 2 Alpine Valley Music Theatre 2011
    1ST MARINER ARENA BALTIMORE 2013
    IWIRELESS CENTER MOLINE 2014
    XCEL ENERGY CENTER ST. PAUL 2014
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2016 
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2016
    CHICAGO 1 Wrigley Field 2018
    CHICAGO 2 Wrigley Field 2018
    BOSTON 2 Fenway Park 2018
    ENTERPRISE CENTER SAINT LOUIS 2022
    Eddie Vedder Auditorium Theatre CHICAGO 2008

• Options
    JW42505JW42505 Posts: 113
    It's a partocaster...meaning it's the neck off one guitar, and the body of another guitar. the body is the same body he was using during the 95 tour. At that time it was black with a sticker on it, and had a maple neck. Since the he had it refinished in black holoflake sparkle, added a rosewood neck, had it routed for a p90 pickup, had alot of sheilding work applied, and had the body shaved down to the same contour as a strat body. Both pickups were changed to Lindy Fralins. The frets get changed every year and are plecked.
    Strings are 10's..

If your trying to get Ed's tele tone, ignore the year it was made and focus on what he has in it. Fralins sound way different than fender pickups. And get a fender tweed amp!
  • Options
    JW42505 wrote:
    It's a partocaster...meaning it's the neck off one guitar, and the body of another guitar. the body is the same body he was using during the 95 tour. At that time it was black with a sticker on it, and had a maple neck. Since the he had it refinished in black holoflake sparkle, added a rosewood neck, had it routed for a p90 pickup, had alot of sheilding work applied, and had the body shaved down to the same contour as a strat body. Both pickups were changed to Lindy Fralins. The frets get changed every year and are plecked.
    Strings are 10's..

If your trying to get Ed's tele tone, ignore the year it was made and focus on what he has in it. Fralins sound way different than fender pickups. And get a fender tweed amp!

I had always thought Ed 'destroyed' his 1995 'skateboarding is not a crime' Tele at Soldier Field???

http://www.twofeetthick.com/concert-chronology/pj1995/

I had also read that this was the original tele his Mother gave him (???) - but have also read stuff to the contrary...

If what you say is true... he obviously didn't do a very good job of destroying it...
  • Options
    brolocobroloco Posts: 1,237
    I just want to go on record here and say that I love the fact that when you see a 2002-2003 picture of Ed using the Gibson SGs..that it's totally unique to that era. with the short hair we got the SGs. it's fucking cool man.

as opposed to [92 - present] with theTelecasters (or whatevercasters).
  • Options
    JW42505JW42505 Posts: 113
    Parts from smashed guitars are usually kept and sometimes refinished, repaired, and then used again with other parts. Ed and Mike have their guitars worked on before every new run of shows. Ed has been using both fralins and stock fender, and mike has had some van zandts in a hand full of his most used strats. They as a band have a massive collection of guitars.
  • Options
    pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
    Look closely at the No Code liner notes, ed is the playing the sparkle tele there, with rosewood neck.
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08