Options

I was listening to Binaural on my headphones at the gym today...

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
edited January 2008 in The Porch
...and I finally got the whole binaural thing.

Fucking awesome.

Why haven't all their recent albums been recorded this way?!
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ...and I finally got the whole binaural thing.

Fucking awesome.

Why haven't all their recent albums been recorded this way?!

embarrassingly i dont know what you're on about...

please expand...
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    embarrassingly i dont know what you're on about...

please expand...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_recording
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    tdubtdub Posts: 226
    you're not the only one man. i knew about the binaural recording...but didn't appreciate it until recently.

if you can put yourself in a quiet room...close your eyes and listen to NAIS, you'll freak. Ed sounds like he's right behind your head. Stone in one ear, up close and Mike about 15 or 20 feet away on the other side.

really freaky!!
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    wat songs on binuaral dont use binaural recording?

I know NAIS, Of the Girl, and Slieght of Hand do for Sure. Breakerfall does too. what about the rest?
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I think some audiophiles might say that the record suffered from the production/recording techniques.

I like the style, but agree that it may not have been the commercially-successful way to get those songs out there. In a live setting, that record is phenomenal. It just seems that the binaural technique may have hurt some of the viability of those songs.

Kinda like REM's Around the Sun. Those are good songs, but they have expressed that maybe they over-analyzed the production aspect. Thus, a record that never quite lived up to the potential of the songwriting.

That said, I LOVE Binaural as it is. It challenges my ears--in a good way.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    NC_IrieNC_Irie Posts: 270
    OK, stupid question regarding headphone play with Binaural-

If I am listening to this through an Ipod, does it make a (sound quality) difference that the tracks have been converted to MP3 or any other format?
    Empty pockets will allow a greater sense of wealth.
    Why contain yourself like any other book on the shelf?

Subtle voices in the wind hear the truth they're telling.
    A world begins where the road ends.
    Watch me leave it all behind.
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    NC_Irie wrote:
    OK, stupid question regarding headphone play with Binaural-

If I am listening to this through an Ipod, does it make a (sound quality) difference that the tracks have been converted to MP3 or any other format?
    I dont know, but I didn't apreciate Bianural until I heard a few months back Of the girl in my ipod, a whole diferent experience than hearing it from a speaker, let me listen to NAIS now, havent heard it in my ipod jejejeje wait
  • Options
    pouch15pouch15 Posts: 436
    I have one question, how come in some albums I hear stones guitar on my left headphone, and on the live bootlegs I hear stone on the right one?
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Great! listen to Binaural a few more years because Riot Act is coming out soon!