Options

Ed and Mark Lanegan

ontheroadontheroad Posts: 249
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Does anybody remember hearing about Lanegan being in the studio w/ Ed before Avocado came out?

I'm really curious what that would sound like.

Anway, asking because The Gutter Twins are touring (Greg Dulli of Afghan Whigs and Twilight Sisters w/ Mark Lanegan) and I remembered hearing reports about Lanegan in studio w/ PJ.
"I remember when you sang that song about today, now it's tomorrow and everything has changed." - Bu$hleaguer
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yeah i remmeber this, i think it came from a fairly reputable source aswell..

there were also those rumours of mccready and lanegan getting together to put vocals over the pretty much finished second mad season album.. (i dont think layne had done any lyrics or vox for it, and mike wanted lanegan to do it) i think that one mighta even come from the rumour pit.. pity we dont even get that anymore..

the new gutter twins album is so fucking excellent..
  • Options
    GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    Goin' to see the Gutter Twins tomorrow at the Showbox!
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    that would be the most beautiful duet ever IMO... i hope whatever they recorded eventually surfaces... mark is with ed and chris as my favorite singers... just seems whatever those guys do i always like it
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    encompassing tripencompassing trip Columbia SC Posts: 160
    I don't recall hearing this but 'm surprised they haven't done so before. Have they ever worked together before? I know Mccready has and I remember reading that Josh Homme and Ed were hanging out in Europe somewhere (via 10C Newsletter) I'd love to hear them explore with other artists. I'm not sure if they are restricted by their record label but any guest appearances would be nice. I think that's what made Queens of the Stone Age so successful along with their sick sound. It seems that Josh, Ed, Mike and Mark have all crossed paths with one another in the past... seems like a great idea.

On a side note, didn't Matt play with QOTSA during Lanegans tenure?
  • Options
    I don't recall hearing this but 'm surprised they haven't done so before. Have they ever worked together before? I know Mccready has and I remember reading that Josh Homme and Ed were hanging out in Europe somewhere (via 10C Newsletter) I'd love to hear them explore with other artists. I'm not sure if they are restricted by their record label but any guest appearances would be nice. I think that's what made Queens of the Stone Age so successful along with their sick sound. It seems that Josh, Ed, Mike and Mark have all crossed paths with one another in the past... seems like a great idea.

SG, AIC, and screaming trees all borrowed eachothers frontmen at some point to collaborate on tracks... would definitely be great for PJ to try this... get chris and mark to do some backing vox on a track or 2 for the next album!

• Options
    Mark Lanegan and Eddie Vedder-Vocals
    +Stone Gossard and Josh Homme-Rhythm Guitar
    +Mike McCready- Lead Guitar
    +Matt Cameron- Drums
    =Greatest Band Ever. (Queens of the Jamming Trees)
    It would be great.
    puts his faith in love and, tremor christ.

"I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."
  • Options
    jesushjesush Posts: 8
    Saw the Gutter Twins Sat. night. Dulli is the consummate showman, but he seemed a bit restrained with the stoic Lanegan on stage. Whigs are easily the most underrated band of the 90's. Anyway, would love to hear what Ed and Mark cooked up.
    5/12/92, 11/5/93, 11/30/93, 10/1/94, 10/2/94, 6/22/95, 6/24/95, 11/4/95, 9/16/96, 10/19/96, 11/18/97, 7/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 6/1/03, 10/22/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 9/01/05, 5/09/06, 5/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/16/06 and 7/18/06
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    jesush wrote:
    Saw the Gutter Twins Sat. night. Dulli is the consummate showman, but he seemed a bit restrained with the stoic Lanegan on stage. Whigs are easily the most underrated band of the 90's. Anyway, would love to hear what Ed and Mark cooked up.

Overall how was the show? Any chance you have a set list?
  • Options
    nothingheadnothinghead Posts: 270
    jesush wrote:

made that show too...was in the front row, right in between mark and greg dulli (when he was on keys). don't think he saw me the entire night, haha. quite an intense individual on stage. mark and greg sounded great together on stage.

as for the person asking about setlists, i have it. literally. peeled it right off the stage when they left.

they played:
    the stations
    all god's children
    the body
    live with me
    seven stories underground
    all misery/flowers
    idle hands
    circle the fringes
    bete noire
    i was in love with you
    down the line
    who will lead us?
    each to each
    front street
    (encore)
    river rise
    papillon
    no easy action
    king only
    methamphetamine blues
    number nine
  • Options
    methamphetamine blues
    one of my personal favorites! youre lucky! :D

i just looked into tickets (didnt realize they were touring) and i dont see a chicago date... did i already miss it or do they not plan on playing there?? marks one of those guys that flies so under the radar i always seem to miss him on tour

• Options
    GR8DaneGR8Dane Posts: 957
    Showbox show last night was incredible!
    Everybody made a movie....
    Everybody had a one line.....
    Everybody misses Andy....
    We'll be seeing him in no time.... Oh Yeah.....

We are Red, we are White, we are Danish Dynamite!
  • Options
    GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    sgossard3 wrote:
    one of my personal favorites! youre lucky! :D

i just looked into tickets (didnt realize they were touring) and i dont see a chicago date... did i already miss it or do they not plan on playing there?? marks one of those guys that flies so under the radar i always seem to miss him on tour

They're playing a late show at Metro on Friday night. I'm heading over there after the Hawks game.
  • Options
    GoBucky wrote:
    They're playing a late show at Metro on Friday night. I'm heading over there after the Hawks game.
    thanks for the heads up! glad i didnt miss out... i might have to drive up for this... hopefully i can talk some friends into seeing a band none of them have ever heard of...

• Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    jesush wrote:

I absolutley agree, it's not that they were bad when I saw them (a couple of weeks back in London), musically they sounded excellent. But, you could tell Dulli was kind of holding back a little.

I must concur, Ed and Mark Lanegan together would be incredible.
  • Options
    This would be cool news if it were true.
    However, i heard from nowayimfaithful, who met lanegan, that he was kind of a self ritcheous prick, and that he talked some smack about the mighty PJ, so i would find it odd that they would be in the studio together.

Did anyone ever hear anything more on this?
    But, you could tell Dulli was kind of holding back a little.

Saw the Gutter Twins recently in New Orleans (last week) and it was pretty damn good.

Odd thing is, i though Dulli fucking stole the show. I mean, Lanegan just stood at his mic, kind ridin side mouse ... Dulli was all the fuck over the place, and BELTING it out... i mean, they CLOBBERED the album versions of most of those songs ... just rocked them the fuck out.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Gutter Twins own it up, I gotta catch them live sometime.
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    Loved Mark's stint with QOTSA!!!

But miss Nick Olivieri presence in the band...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    This would be cool news if it were true.
    However, i heard from nowayimfaithful, who met lanegan, that he was kind of a self ritcheous prick, and that he talked some smack about the mighty PJ, so i would find it odd that they would be in the studio together.
    i would let him talk shit about me in that voice of his ALL day long :D

thats a shame tho if its true... hate those kinds of rockstars... between chris going queer and mark and billy being dicks, im running out of idols pretty quick... dont let me down ed!

• Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    sgossard3 wrote:

thats a shame tho if its true... hate those kinds of rockstars... between chris going queer and mark and billy being dicks, im running out of idols pretty quick... dont let me down ed![/quote

Ed won't...don't worry...
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569

Josh and Ed both worked together on the Strokes B side cover of Mercy Mercy Me and apparently Josh gave Eddie some sort of pill backstage at one of the European festivals last year which Eddie obliged in taking then regreted a little later, lol.
    I remember the Lanegan rumour before Avocado was released also, that sounds too amazing not to release, also the 2nd Mad Season album, was the music actually recorded? because John Baker Saunders is also dead no? Would be interesting to hear and if they drafted in another bassist and did a few shows, mmm, sounds like heaven.

Matt played on one of the first QOTSA releases long before Lanegan vocaled with them, it was the split with Kyuss that Matt Cameron drummed on, before Nick Olivieri infact lol, Olivieri only joined after the first album was recorded, Josh Homme actually plays bass as well as guitar and vocals on the self titled LP, the last track I Was A Teenage Hand Model features the phone call from Nick saying he was joining the band and the rest is history as they say, lol.:)

Mike and Josh trading off guitars on a few tracks would be freaking spectacular.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    sgossard3 wrote:

thats a shame tho if its true... hate those kinds of rockstars... between chris going queer and mark and billy being dicks, im running out of idols pretty quick... dont let me down ed!

I met Lanegan a couple of weeks ago after a Gutter Twins show and he was really nice. He didn't say much but was very polite. To anyone that hasn't seen them live, go. You won't regret it. Amazing show. One of the best shows I have been to in a long time.

I would love to hear Ed and Mark together. They are two of my favorite singers and songwriters. I can't imagine what they could do together.