Options

Philly's J.C. Dobbs to reopen

TooMuchBloodTooMuchBlood Posts: 312
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Too bad it isn't reopening Thursday or Friday. It would've been great for a surprise visit.

From today's Philadelphia Inquirer:
http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20080618_Storied_club_to_rock_again.html

Storied club to rock again

By Sam Wood

Inquirer Staff Writer
The historic nightclub that introduced Philadelphians to Green Day, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam, among dozens of others, is being resurrected on South Street after a 12-year hiatus.

J.C. Dobbs was one of the city's best-known rock venues before it was shuttered in 1996 and sold to new owners.

It was renamed the Pontiac Bar & Grill and live music was downplayed, but the club never mustered the hipster cachet of its previous tenant. Last year, the building sold for $1.2 million to two neighborhood businessmen.

The club, which first opened in 1975 at the dawn of the punk era, reopens next week as J.C. Dobbs, bringing back the focus on clangorous rock-and-roll, said spokeswoman Marilou Regan.

New owners Heshey Schlacterman and Hank Henry were regulars at Dobbs during its '80s heyday, Regan said.

"It's their mission to try to bring back some of the coolness to South Street and bring back music in a big way," Regan said.

The new Dobbs sign will be erected on the club's facade next week.

Schlacterman and Henry have reinstalled the stage at the back of the club and plan an intimate, acoustic venue for the second floor, Regan said.

"It looks beautiful," Regan said. "You can still smell the history, the scent of cigarette smoke and the stale beer."

It may be a while until a fresh brew can be pulled from the taps. They're still waiting for a liquor license.

Until the watering hole becomes wet again, bookers have scheduled a series of all-ages shows.

Lustkillers, featuring the lead singer of the Lords of the New Church, will headline the new Dobbs' "soft opening" June 25.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    firecrotch23firecrotch23 Posts: 586
    kick ass! i hope there is a preshow there the next time the boys come around!
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me