Options

You're The Lead Singer Of A Rock Band....

showtime3244showtime3244 Posts: 16
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Suppose one day, you and 4 of your buddies start a rock band. You get together over several weekends and smash out several original songs. You hit the bar scenes. Word around the area is that ya'll are a really good rock band. Your crowds keep getting bigger and bigger. A couple of record companies come by, and one signs you. You put out an album with your first original songs. After being out a couple of weeks, one of your songs just explodes. The youth of America embraces it. They hail you as their messiah. The album sells millions and millions of records. Plus, your concerts have become legend. No other band can match your band's intensity, and the crowds are unbelieveable. You release your second album. Critics and fans say it is better than the first one. It sells millions of copies also. You establish a million plus fan base. Thousands of people follow you on tour. You are becoming one the biggert draws in tour history. Your 3rd, 4th, and 5th albums start to establish you as one the great all-time bands. After 15 years of making music, you've become rock legends. Then one day, Pearl Jam's manager contacts you. PJ is doing a 30 year anniversary tour, and they would like you to open for them. Pearl Jam was one of the biggest influences for you and you would be honored to open for them. You think it would be blast to share the same stage with Eddie Vedder; so you tell them yes. Even though your career is hotter than Pearl Jam's, you don't mind being the opening act. Then all of sudden, you hear your fans complain. Pearl Jam doesn't deserve you opening for them. They suck. All we get is an hour and half concert from you they say. None of your loyal fans seem to be interested in you playing with Pearl Jam. But man, it sure would be fun if you did it. I don't think you could pass that chance up. I know I wouldn't.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    Yes, I would definitely open for Pearl Jam regardless of what the fans of my band thought.

edit: supposing, of course that I was in a band....anybody looking for a singer???
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    If you decide to ignore your fans and do it anyway, turn to page 51.

If you decide to screw Pearl Jam and appease your loyal fanbase, turn to page 63.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    I'd definitely take up the opportunity to share the stage with Pearl Jam. No matter what anyone thought. Who gives a fuck? It's Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    I'm a huge Tom Petty fan with PJ a close second.

A Tom Petty concert is just as good as a Pearl Jam concert. The intensity is just as high, the audience participation is just as loud, and the musicianship is just as good as Pearl Jam's.

The only thing PJ does better than Petty is change up their setlist. Petty's will be almost the exact same setlist in every town.

As far as Petty just playing hits, I don't think so. He digs deep into his cataloge. "It's Good to be King", "Cabin Down Below", and "Even the Losers" were not smash hits. ETL wasn't even released as a single, just like "Black" wasn't. Also, he can't help it if he has about 30 so called hits. I will agree though, that it would be nice for him to change up the setlist from town to town.

I was at the Denver concert when PJ opened for Petty. And yes, they opened for Petty because of Petty's 30th anniversary. It never was billed as a co-headline. Both fans were respectful to the other band. The only disrespect was from people on this message board. There were all kinds of lies on this board from people saying hundreds of people walked out when Petty came on to how bad Petty actually sounded. None of that was true. It was one of the best concerts I've been to.

No i would not open for Tom Petty if I was Pearl Jam. Since that is what we are really talking about here. Just like Tom Petty should not open for the Rolling Stones. Both bands are way past opening act status. I was at Milwaukeee. PJ was good. Petty was good. But I will never go see Pearl Jam open for anyone else ever again. Been there... done that.. I couldn't do it again.