Options

Berkeley

LeftThePorch315LeftThePorch315 Posts: 56
edited April 2008 in The Porch
As I sit here and watch Miley Cyrus hippity hop around on ExxonMobil American Idol, boasting to Billy Crystal about numerous her #1 records and #1 movie and then have the cute audacity to ask me to donate money to Clean Water, Aids Research, Appalachia and beyond… I wonder who needs government and diplomacy when you have American Idol?

Can Rock and Roll save the world?
Maybe.
But American Idol isn’t Rock and Roll.
Eddie Vedder is Rock and Roll.

This post - this long, long post - I hope some of you have the time and interest to read, is at its axis, about the two solo shows Eddie Vedder recently performed in Berkeley, California. Yet in its genesis lay such a scattered, yet heavy gravity that I sit here driven yet intimidated by the task of putting it into words.

American adults shouldn’t need a background into Berkeley’s mid 20th century history. It was, and in many ways continues to be, an epicenter of youth activism, political protest, war opposition with a nice twist of weird. Many of the people in attendance at the Zellerbach shows were a part of this history. But many people who were at the same shows, all too apparently, were not.

Throughout my teenage and adult life, especially over the last seven and a half shit stinking years, Pearl Jam has been has been the greatest public voice of my beliefs and convictions. More than any leader. More than any politician. I recognize the pathetic tragedy in this. I would love nothing more than to have leaders that so strongly echo my beliefs. Proudly, I have fought for this to the point of frustration and exhaustion, but time and time again we’ve come up on the losing side. Yet each time, in the wake of defeat, one of the voices I have heard is you know who. Sure, there are others who are more immediate to me that can make sense of it all and offer reassurance and hope. But Eddie does all those things… and he yells.

At the root of every artist are convictions. Why do you think they call it soul? To appreciate the art is to appreciate the convictions that inspired it. Pearl Jam are artists on world stage but the work they have done gives me inspiration to be an artist in the smallest of actions in my daily life.

I sat traveled to Berkeley, one of my favorite cities, on Monday night and sat a beautiful theatre, watching one of my favorite artists perform surrounded by – what must have been - many Republicans. And it was odd.

Eddie spoke about ending army recruitment – aggressive army recruitment on impoverished high school campuses – and received limited response.

He shared his endorsement of Barack Obama – not many people stood to clap.

He sung about ending this war – singing with every energy he had – NO MORE! NO WAR! – and few chose to sing with him… even after he asked them to.

It was totally eerie and not what I had expected. Still many people did cheer. Many people did sing. And I was proud to be one of them. But it was the first time I had left a Pearl Jam show feeling like I was on the losing side.

The next day I logged on to the pearljam.com message boards and was I was flabbergast by what I saw. Many of the posts for the Monday Night Zellerbach show were from conservatives saying how tired they are of Eddie’s political commentary. That they wish he would talk less. That he would keep is politics to himself. That - giggle giggle - “I’m a conservative, but I still love you Eddie.”

Crime #1:
You take our current state of affairs lightly.

No surprise the conservativeness and selective ignorance often goes hand in hand. This is a matter of opinion and is forgivable because it is fixable. But please don’t commit crime #2

Crime #2:
You believe Eddie should just up and sing – like some kind of long-haired, musical surfer marionette; a male, and more hairy version of Miley Cyrus.

I hope you can help me out here. This specific matter leads to a lot of questions that I hope you can answer for me. What is it that inspires you to like this band? What emotional response leads you to buy a ticket to the show? Do you listen to the lyrics? Do you beat your fist in the air when you hear “Life Wasted” or “Army Reserve” or do you just skip ahead to “Inside Job”? OK… and then when you actually listen to “Inside Job” and the lyric “I will not lose my faith, it’s an inside job today” fills the room, does that make you think about the Religious Right and Karl Rove staging a comeback? Because to me it is about some seriously morbid political times our county is suffering through right now – times that the party you support, either directly or through your ignorance, has put us in – and we can not lose hope for a better future. These are questions I need to know the answer to, because it brings me to crime #3.

Crime #3:
You show up to a show and you kill the energy.

So ends Chapter 1.
Chapter 2 is on you Eddie.

Ed, when you spoke to the audience on Monday night, it sounded as if you really thought you were performing to a bunch of college kids. Even though you were performing on a college campus, nothing could have been further from the truth.

A little bit about how I ended up at the show. I am a proud Ten Club member, I made the decision to sit this round out because I could not afford the $80.00 tickets. Through some strict diligence and the handy use of a speed redial I was able to win tickets to the Monday night show through KFOG, a local and proudly progressive radio station in the Bay Area.

It cost $15.00 to park.
And a tank of California gas….

I stood, applauded and yelled when your friends rolled across the stage with the Obama ‘08 sign.
I was signing my soul out not only during not only “No More War”… but also “Here’s to the State.” Amen.
I also let you know that I thought you and Mr. Penn should have won an Academy Award.

But I would not have been there if I didn’t win the damn tickets.

$80.00?

I don’t put it on you. I stood by you during your Ticketmaster battles. I know there are just some things outside of your control. But at least have the where-with-all to know who you are inviting to the party when you charge that much to attend.

Wait, maybe that’s the idea… make the tickets expensive so that only Republicans can come and then you can use your badass jedi knight ways to bring them turn them away from the darkside.

Probably not.

But it sure as hell explains why folks weren’t singing with us on Monday night.

In closing, I want to pose the question directly and sincerely to all Pearl Jam fans: If you oppose the political opinions of the band, what else then does this band do to inspire you to spend $80.00 on a ticket? Is it really just beats and notes? If it is, I think you’re missing out.

Much respect – and thanks – and praise – to the Tuesday night crowd who for representing the Bay Area and Rock and Roll in much more appropriate fashion.

And much thanks to you “Ed et. al.” Keep kicking ass. Please.

ds
"What chance does Gotham have when the good people do nothing?"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    $80 isnt much I reckon. I paid $100 australian twice for the 06 tour and will do so again.
    apart from that I agree with your views
    if people dont want to here eds views well then BUY A RECORD instead of a ticket to his show. just silence between songs on a cd
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE