Plantar Fasciatis/bone spur

jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anyone experienced this? Any advice?
PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

Some words when spoken...can't be taken back.

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    buy new sneakers. I know it sounds stupid, but it works. I had been playing pickup hoops games in an old pair of shoes and I started feeling pain in my feet. Read some stuff about plantar fas online and it said that old shoes could be a contributing factor. Bought a new pair of basketball sneakers and the pain subsided.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    give Jokiam Noah a call...he might have some tips
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I've been experiencing this for the past several months. I stopped walking around on my tile floors barefooted all the time, which is supposedly bad. Stretching is supposedly good. I also picked up some generic insoles at the grocery store and they seem to have helped for awhile. But I think I'm gonna go to the doctor soon because it's starting to get really painful. I'll let you know what I find out. Good luck.
  • RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    1. Stretch your calves a lot (yes it is related). Check internet if you don't know how.

2. Freeze water bottle. Roll it under your affected foot a few times per day.

3. Sleep in a boot or special sock at night to keep your ankle from straightening. Once again check internet. When your foot/ankle stretches out at night those tendons, muscles tighten up. When you get out of bed and flex our foot you tear the repaired tissue again.

4. Massage the affected area.

5. Do foot exercises. Google plantar fasciatis exercises.

If all else fails then a doctor can give you a steroid shot in the heel. I hear that really, really hurts. I didn't do that. I solved it by doing the above. It took a long time though. They say that the time it takes to heal equals the time suffered. So for example, if you have had it for two months and now start treating it then it will take two months to heal. I had it for a long time before I started working on it. I think I ended up having it a total of two years.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    If all else fails then a doctor can give you a steroid shot in the heel.

Yeah.... nevermind... I'm not going to the doctor. :shock:
    They say that the time it takes to heal equals the time suffered.

That's good to know! Thanks. :)
  • drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    81 wrote:
    give Jokiam Noah a call...he might have some tips
    i was going to say that too... he's been dealing with that for what seems like almost two months?
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    That shit is crippling. I know too well. Put me out of action for nearly a year. All the regular treatments (outlined above) just weren't doing the trick. Who knew playing basketball barefoot would wind up being a problem? I finally had to have custom made inserts built for each foot and I wear them all the time. Mine doesn't go away all the way it just hurts less sometimes. Then again, I still punish my feet on pretty much a daily basis.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Have you thought about seeing a podiatrist. Insoles can help in this situation. When you say bone spur, did you mean heel spur, surgery is an option.
  • jezebeloriajezebeloria Posts: 600
    Been to Dr and had cortisone shot. Yea, it f'in hurt but I was willing to try anything. Waiting for that to take affect... Pretty much read everything I could find online. Dr didnt tell me anything I didnt already read. Tried the new shoe route...worked for a short amount of time but has been very severe for about 6 weeks. I'm a server so this is just unacceptable!!! Crossing fingers...not toes thought cause that would probably hurt!!! :lol:

Just don't want to be only one sitting at Cleveland gig!!! :thumbdown:
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

Finally got that "One for the Thumb"!!! Got the "Six Pack". Now we're on a "Stairway to Seven"

"Seeing a brick wall straight ahead and stepping on the gas." Eddie...Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Claireack wrote:
    Have you thought about seeing a podiatrist. Insoles can help in this situation. When you say bone spur, did you mean heel spur, surgery is an option.

I'm a server...surgery is not an option!!! I guess it was heel spur. Saw it on X-ray
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

• ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Sounds like you did the right thing, this is what I found on the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists website;

Heel pain

When walking, your heels repeatedly hit the ground with considerable force. They have to be able to absorb the impact and provide a firm support for the weight of the body.

When pain develops in the heel, it can be very disabling, making every step a problem, affecting your posture.

Heel pain - the facts

There are various types of heel pain. Some of the most common are: heel spurs (plantar fasciitis); heel bursitis and heel bumps.

SYMPTOMS

Heel Spurs: the pain is usually worst on standing, particularly first thing in the morning when you get up. It is relatively common, though usually occurring in the over forty's age group. There are no visible features on the heel but a deep localised painful spot can be found in or around the middle of the sole of the heel. Although it is often associated with a spur of bone sticking out of the heel bone (heel spur syndrome), approximately ten per cent of the population have heel spurs without any pain.

Heel Bursitis: pain can be felt at the back of the heel when the ankle joint is moved and there may be a swelling on both sides of the Achilles tendon. Or you may feel pain deep inside the heel when it makes contact with the ground.

Heel Bumps: recognised as firm bumps on the back of the heel , they are often rubbed by shoes causing pain.

TREATMENT

Heel Spurs: cushioning for the heel is of little value. Your chiropodist/podiatrist may initially apply padding and strapping to alter the direction of stretch of the ligament. This is often successful at reducing the tenderness in the short term. Your chiropodist/podiatrist may suggest a course of deep heat therapy to stimulate the healing processes, allowing damage to respond and heal faster. In the long term, your chiropodist/podiatrist may prescribe special insoles (orthoses) to help the feet to function more effectively, thereby reducing strain on the ligaments and making any recurrence less likely.

If pain from heel spurs continues, you may be referred to your GP who can prescribe an oral non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. Alternatively, localised hydrocortisone injection treatment may be given by your GP or an appropriate chiropodist/podiatrist. If pain persists, surgery may be considered.

Heel Bursitis: in most cases, attention to the cause of any rubbing, and appropriate padding and strapping by your chiropodist/podiatrist will allow the inflammation to settle. If infection is present, your chiropodist/podiatrist will refer you to your GP for antibiotics.

Heel Bumps: adjustments to footwear is often enough to make them comfortable. A leather heel counter and wearing boots may help. However, if pain persists, surgery may be necessary.
    Thanks!!!
    PJ FANS ROCK!!!

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Been to Dr and had cortisone shot. Yea, it f'in hurt but I was willing to try anything. Waiting for that to take affect... Pretty much read everything I could find online. Dr didnt tell me anything I didnt already read. Tried the new shoe route...worked for a short amount of time but has been very severe for about 6 weeks. I'm a server so this is just unacceptable!!! Crossing fingers...not toes thought cause that would probably hurt!!! :lol:

Just don't want to be only one sitting at Cleveland gig!!! :thumbdown:

ahh, the ol' shot in the heel. That's a burn that will wake you up in the morning.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • IdrisIdris Posts: 2,317
    edited February 2014

1. Stretch your calves a lot (yes it is related). Check internet if you don't know how.

2. Freeze water bottle. Roll it under your affected foot a few times per day.

3. Sleep in a boot or special sock at night to keep your ankle from straightening. Once again check internet. When your foot/ankle stretches out at night those tendons, muscles tighten up. When you get out of bed and flex our foot you tear the repaired tissue again.

4. Massage the affected area.

5. Do foot exercises. Google plantar fasciatis exercises.

If all else fails then a doctor can give you a steroid shot in the heel. I hear that really, really hurts. I didn't do that. I solved it by doing the above. It took a long time though. They say that the time it takes to heal equals the time suffered. So for example, if you have had it for two months and now start treating it then it will take two months to heal. I had it for a long time before I started working on it. I think I ended up having it a total of two years.

Been doing that. (exercising the feet/muscles)

My pain started 5 months ago after a 4 mile run in some new shoes.

Still hurts pretty bad, but I'm taking it day by day.

Post edited by Idris on
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    Physical therapy with ASTYM or Graston technique. Trust me on this.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

Physical therapy with ASTYM or Graston technique. Trust me on this.

I trust! I trust!...Tell me more or direct me to where I can learn more.

i work with 2 orthopedic doctors who prescribe this to everybody with plantar fasciitis and musculotendenous issues. it is a hands on, manual therapy technique that utilizes tools and is designed to break up any scar tissue and tendinopathy, which is essentially what plantar fasciitis, patellar tendonitis, tennis elbow, achilles tendinitis, all are. i have had it for wrist and thumb tendinopathy and it has worked wonders.

ASTYM and Graston are similar techniques, but ASTYM uses acrylic tools and Graston uses metal. I have had ASTYM. that one tends to be better tolerated and less aggressive. it takes an average of 8 therapy visits to begin to feel a significant difference. it is combined with a stretching and strengthening program that emphasizes eccentric strengthening, or, the negative rep.

i do not know what the studies say, but anecdotally i can tell you that we do significantly less cortisone injections in elbows and feet since we started having people get ASTYM and Graston, and we have referred very, very few people to a surgeon for these issues because people get better with these techniques. below are the websites and you can find places near you that offer this service. it is huge here in missouri and illinois, but i am not sure how widespread it is used across the country. if given the choice i would choose ASTYM, and that is only because i have had that one done on me.

http://www.astym.com/Main

http://www.grastontechnique.com/
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

Thanks. Looks like the only places near me offer Graston.

Tonight, I'll be reading about this in more detail.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    One of the big issues with Plantars is waiting too long to deal with it or getting a diagnosis and implementing a therapy regimen.

Everyone's experience with it is different. In my case I had a diagnosis within 48 hours of onset and with immediate therapy got rid of it in about 6 weeks. Others I have known have dealt with it for years before getting rid of it.

One of the best pieces of advice I can give is to stop wearing old shoes. Wear new shoes that give proper arch support as well as try and wear different shoes every day. At the very least alternate between different pairs.

Also if possible stay off your feet as much as possible. The injury can't heal if you are on your feet for hours at a time.

The cortisone shot should be a last resort and don't let anyone push you towards surgery.
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,765
    Avoid bare feet, flip fops and Uggs boots while you are healing. Excellent info gimme. I think you and I are in the same field perhaps. Always like your input on these issues.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
    edited February 2014
    I hope i've not waited too long! (what therapy did you use Bentleyspop?)

My mistake was continued running with the pain (for a few months after initial onset of said pain). I ignorantly figured I could 'run it off'.

I only started taking it easy a few weeks ago. Stretching the area, and bought a pair of New Balance shoes.

The new Kicks feel good, I have really flat feet, so sometimes finding the right pair can be difficult.

(and Thanks again gimme for the info, I'm checking YouTube videos about these techniques/methods.
    I'll make some calls tomorrow)
    Post edited by Idris on
    Idris said:

Thanks. Looks like the only places near me offer Graston.

Tonight, I'll be reading about this in more detail.

yeah man, the stuff works. they have to get certified to be able to even purchase the tools they use, and there are protocols specific to each diagnosis/body part. it is not like it is some geek off the street is coming at ya with metal tools haha...

Avoid bare feet, flip fops and Uggs boots while you are healing. Excellent info gimme. I think you and I are in the same field perhaps. Always like your input on these issues.

we very well could be in the same field.

thank you. i try to chime in if i think i can be of any help :)

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    If you Google Plantars therapies you'll see a lot of the same things that I did. Including the earlier mentioned frozen coke bottle, the nubby ball or a golf to roll the affected foot over, and the Strasburg sock.

And if you haven't already done it go to a true running store and get your gait checked to make sure you are in the right shoes.

Running through it doesn't work
    running through it is the worst thing you can do. all that is doing is creating more trauma.

and just to clarify, you do not always have to have a heel spur when you have plantar fasciitis. we see people with foot pain every day who have a heel spur on x ray but no clinical history of plantar fasciitis. heel spur is a common finding in people with PF, but we see many people with PF who have no heel spur.

abnormal x ray showing heel spur

normal foot x ray

I had a flare up of PF 2 years ago I think. I went to a chiropractor who was certified in A.R.T. which sounds like the therapies discussed above - like deep tissue massage - to get rid of built up scar tissue. It worked. Currently I have an achilles issue which I initially thought was PF again. But it feels somewhat different. My chiro says he doesn't think the ART will work on this, and he is the one that referred me to ART initially. I took a couple weeks off from running and it still hurt so I started running again. It's funny. It doesn't hurt while I am running. It is afterwards that I have to hobble around.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    ART will most likely not work on an achilles. ASTYM or Graston are very effective on the Achilles, especially when combined with eccentric exercises.

ART will most likely not work on an achilles. ASTYM or Graston are very effective on the Achilles, especially when combined with eccentric exercises.

Thanks. I'll have to see if there is anyone within 50 miles that does that.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Was recently diagnosed with plantar fasciitis. I'm standing on hard floors for long periods of time. At first I thought it was just from standing and the pain would go away, but then a few weeks later I noticed it was mostly on my left foot so I thought I may have twisted it or something. Went to the doctors and got an x-ray. Everything came back negative and they told me it was that. Go to physical therapy a few times a week for a few more weeks. Also do exercises at home to help. Also ice it down after work and before I go to bed. Seems to help although it's not completely gone yet.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly