***CHICAGO WHITE SOX***

Comments

• IwasBit10 wrote:
    Not expecting shit from fat-ass Jones. That guy really went to shit after the Dodgers paid him. I read earlier the Sox are still in the running for Johnny Damon. He would be the perfect DH, plus an extra OF. If not Damon, I'd expect Kotsay to get the majority of DH AB's.

This starting rotation is scary. I dont know if any team in the league has a better top 4 than the Sox this year.

We should compete for a division title. 85-90 wins should win this division. Hoping the Twins struggle this year now that they're not playing in that asshole dome anymore. Thank God we don't have to watch baseball in that shithole again.

I agree with all this. I must say, I am a little disappointed in how Kenny filled the DH role this offseason. I know it provides versatilty and Ozzie wanted it split-up, but I just don't see significant production from Kotsay/Jones. Maybe the two of them together will equal one solid DH? I didn't want Thome back, but I'd almost rather see Dye back than Kotsay/Jones. I mean, we have Kotsay backing-up Rios, and that's more than a little frightening. I was big on the Rios move last year, but he's gotta show us something NOW.

I believe CQ will be the biggest factor in this team's success. He puts up MVP-type numbers like he did in 08 (and stays healthy), with this pitching staff, we could run away with the Central. If he struggles, I don't know where the power numbers are going to come from, and we're gonna have to grind out wins. And that means we'll have to rely on the bullpen to close out games, and even with the addition of Putz, I'm not completely convinced that's gonna work.

I definitely like this team better than the 09 team though.

If DH by committee doesnt work out after a month, they need to perminantly fill this spot. I dont see how its gonna work out to be honest. Dye woulda been a nice keep for sure. Still surprised "He Gone". I think we will struggle mightily with run production. Scoring will be our biggest concern this year allong with the bullpen. Jenks will need to prove he can close out games regularily, which I dont see happening. Lets hope now that hes in better shape and quit drinking his ass off for real.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    81 wrote:
    Hoping the Twins struggle this year now that they're not playing in that asshole dome anymore. Thank God we don't have to watch baseball in that shithole again.

I understand the desire for a baseball only stadium, but why would you build an open air stadium in MN. :lol:

They should have took a page out of the Brewers playbook and copied that stadium.

Yeah, that open air stadium in MN in early April should be interesting. I remember a couple years ago, there was a foot of snow outside the Metrodome on opening day.

Copying Miller Park would have been a great move. I may be wrong, but I thought I remember reading that they couldnt afford to build a stadium with a retractable roof.
    IwasBit10 wrote:
    Not expecting shit from fat-ass Jones. That guy really went to shit after the Dodgers paid him. I read earlier the Sox are still in the running for Johnny Damon. He would be the perfect DH, plus an extra OF. If not Damon, I'd expect Kotsay to get the majority of DH AB's.

This starting rotation is scary. I dont know if any team in the league has a better top 4 than the Sox this year.

We should compete for a division title. 85-90 wins should win this division. Hoping the Twins struggle this year now that they're not playing in that asshole dome anymore. Thank God we don't have to watch baseball in that shithole again.

I agree with all this. I must say, I am a little disappointed in how Kenny filled the DH role this offseason. I know it provides versatilty and Ozzie wanted it split-up, but I just don't see significant production from Kotsay/Jones. Maybe the two of them together will equal one solid DH? I didn't want Thome back, but I'd almost rather see Dye back than Kotsay/Jones. I mean, we have Kotsay backing-up Rios, and that's more than a little frightening. I was big on the Rios move last year, but he's gotta show us something NOW.

I believe CQ will be the biggest factor in this team's success. He puts up MVP-type numbers like he did in 08 (and stays healthy), with this pitching staff, we could run away with the Central. If he struggles, I don't know where the power numbers are going to come from, and we're gonna have to grind out wins. And that means we'll have to rely on the bullpen to close out games, and even with the addition of Putz, I'm not completely convinced that's gonna work.

I definitely like this team better than the 09 team though.

The DH moves were a little dissappointing. But, Kenny has a budget to work with each year that is given to him by Reinsdorf. After taking on the Peavy and Rios contracts last year, Kenny didn't have a ton of room to work with.

CQ definitely needs a huge year. Hopefully he is healthy because we saw what he did in 08 before he got hurt late in the year. As for the bullpen, unfortunately I think Linebrink will be a big key. If he can be a solid middle inning guy with Putz and Thornton as the set-up men, that will be a damn good bullpen.

A lot of ifs out there, but like stated, I like this team a hell of a lot better than the 09 squad.
  • Why would we be interested in Johnny Damon? Thoughts please.......
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Why would we be interested in Johnny Damon? Thoughts please.......

somehow i just don't see jones being productive at all. dude went to shit after leaving ATL. Damon gives you some insurance there, as well as some insurance in the outfield in case somebody goes done. Or maybe they will stick him in left and put Quinten at the DH.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    I couldn't agree with 81 more.
  • Why would we be interested in Johnny Damon? Thoughts please.......
    Because maybe his wife will show up to the games, and sunbathe nude, out in center field.......

Im sorry....
    Carry on.......

hehehehehehehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Andruw Jones lost some weight. I can see him hitting 30 hrs this year:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseba ... ndex5.html
    Why would we be interested in Johnny Damon? Thoughts please.......
    Because maybe his wife will show up to the games, and sunbathe nude, out in center field.......

Im sorry....
    Carry on.......

hehehehehehehehehehe

Too bad Damon signed with Detroit...his wife is HOT.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

Copying Miller Park would have been a great move. I may be wrong, but I thought I remember reading that they couldnt afford to build a stadium with a retractable roof.

that sounds about right.....but if they didn't have the cash, they should have saved up for a few more years before building.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Andruw Jones lost some weight. I can see him hitting 30 hrs this year:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseba ... ndex5.html

he hit 17 last year with under 300 ab's. if he was to be an everyday DH, he should get 600ab and be around 30 HR's.

the problem will be his average. he's a career .257 hitter but hte last three years are .222, .158 and .214. his walks and K's over the last few years are in line with his career numbers. so what happened to those singles/doubles that he was hitting before?
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    i know-with those numbers, we may as well have kept thome.
    Davidtrios wrote:
    i know-with those numbers, we may as well have kept thome.
    +

Definitely. Thome will hit at least .240-.250. Like I've said earlier in this thread, I'm not expecting shit from Andruw Jones. DH is going to be a question mark all year.
  • I'm a huge Thome fan, but honestly, I couldn't stand to watch him strikeout on another low, inside slider. He draws walks and gets on-base, but he also clogs the basepaths. Even if he led off an inning with a double, we couldn't rely on a single to get him home and we wasted ABs trying to move him over. Can't say I'm sad he's gone, just pissed about him going to the twinks. I think the Sox will miss him more off the field than on.

If Dye is still unemployed by the end of March, I will be very upset about the fact he's available and we're stuck with Jones. I know Jones is cheaper, but fuck, Dye was our World Series MVP! ;)
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Via MLBTR.

White Sox might be willing to give up Beckham for A-Gon. Please do, please keep him away from Boston.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Via MLBTR.

White Sox might be willing to give up Beckham for A-Gon. Please do, please keep him away from Boston.

This is BS. Beckman is gonna be the next Jeter. No way would they trade for AGone.
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Via MLBTR.

This is BS. Beckman is gonna be the next Jeter. No way would they trade for AGone.

Ah, no. Jeter has 5 rings and almost 3,000 hits and is currently a first ballot HOF'er. Will end his career with at least 5 rings (I would put it at a 50-50 chance that he wins at least one more) and probably 3,500+ hits with a .315+ career BA. Dude has potential but that is nonsense. I am not saying dont be excited about the kid, but Jeter? Nope. Bad comparsion. THis comparison is fucking comical.
    I hope the Sox go for Agon but keep Beckham. I'd trade 4 pitching prospects but keep the savior!
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Via MLBTR.

Ah, no. Jeter has 5 rings and almost 3,000 hits and is currently a first ballot HOF'er. Will end his career with at least 5 rings (I would put it at a 50-50 chance that he wins at least one more) and probably 3,500+ hits with a .315+ career BA. Dude has potential but that is nonsense. I am not saying dont be excited about the kid, but Jeter? Nope. Bad comparsion. THis comparison is fucking comical.
    You know what's laughable.. you thinking Jeter has all those rings because he is Dereck Jeter.

He plays for the Yankees. Thats why he has all those rings.

Beckham has a lot of potential.
    You know what's laughable.. you thinking Jeter has all those rings because he is Dereck Jeter.

Never said anything of the sort. The fact is he has 5 rings to go along with a whole bunch of outstanding stats.

And while Derek Jeter wouldn't win all these World Series without the Yankees, maybe the Yankees wouldn't have won 5 Rings without him. He does have some pretty outstanding postseason stats.

Beckham has a lot of potential but to label him the next Derek Jeter 400 AB's into his career is a bit much.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Never said anything of the sort. The fact is he has 5 rings to go along with a whole bunch of outstanding stats.

And while Derek Jeter wouldn't win all these World Series without the Yankees, maybe the Yankees wouldn't have won 5 Rings without him. He does have some pretty outstanding postseason stats.

Beckham has a lot of potential but to label him the next Derek Jeter 400 AB's into his career is a bit much.

Jeter is one of the best players ever. Hands down. Let's get this Yankee talk off of our White Sox thread!
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Davidtrios wrote:
    I hope the Sox go for Agon but keep Beckham. I'd trade 4 pitching prospects but keep the savior!

People need to stop hoping for the ridiculous with regard to Gonzalez ... this goes for Red Sox fans too.

The Padres aren't going to take 4 quarters for a dollar ... no way.

Gonzalez is scheduled to make $4.75M this year and there's a club option in his contract for 2011 at $5.5M, which will no doubt get picked up.

This is a 28 year old guy whose power trend has been on the rise for the past 5 years and hit 40 home runs in Petco last year ... the ball park that is the toughest in the majors for lefties to hit home runs over the past 3 years.

He's also a Mexican American, and a cult hero in San Diego ... it's going to be a publicity nightmare for the Padres to trade him.

If anyone wants him ... two words: pony up.

I don't expect the Red Sox to get him without giving up either Ellsbury or Buchholz ... and it may possibly cost them both. (Still not sure how I feel about that).

My guess ... he stays put for all of 2010, and possibly thorugh the All Star break in 2011.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    jimed14 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:

People need to stop hoping for the ridiculous with regard to Gonzalez ... this goes for Red Sox fans too.

The Padres aren't going to take 4 quarters for a dollar ... no way.

Gonzalez is scheduled to make $4.75M this year and there's a club option in his contract for 2011 at $5.5M, which will no doubt get picked up.

This is a 28 year old guy whose power trend has been on the rise for the past 5 years and hit 40 home runs in Petco last year ... the ball park that is the toughest in the majors for lefties to hit home runs over the past 3 years.

He's also a Mexican American, and a cult hero in San Diego ... it's going to be a publicity nightmare for the Padres to trade him.

If anyone wants him ... two words: pony up.

I don't expect the Red Sox to get him without giving up either Ellsbury or Buchholz ... and it may possibly cost them both. (Still not sure how I feel about that).

My guess ... he stays put for all of 2010, and possibly thorugh the All Star break in 2011.

Especially with a brand new GM.
    It's insane to keep trying to slug your way with a championship with slow power guys. Beckham will hit for power as well as average at the same time steal bases, shoot the gaps, take walks and hit in the clutch. He also might win a Gold Glove one day. I think he is untouchable even for a 42 homer 270 power hitter.
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    edited March 2010
    Davidtrios wrote:
    It's insane to keep trying to slug your way with a championship with slow power guys. Beckham will hit for power as well as average at the same time steal bases, shoot the gaps, take walks and hit in the clutch. He also might win a Gold Glove one day. I think he is untouchable even for a 42 homer 270 power hitter.

... and that's fine. I'm kind of leaning that way if the Pads want Ellsbury and Buccholz for him. But, I don't expect the Red Sox to toss Michael Bowden and 3 single-A dudes for Gonzalez, ain't gonna fly.

As for speed, hell, didn't you guys sign Pierre? I'm expecting 40-50 bags out of him this year ... at least, my fantasy team is.
    Post edited by jimed14 on
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
    Davidtrios wrote:

Yeah, the middle of the lineup clogged up with slow, power-hitters hasnt worked out too well the past few years. It's gotta be close to a 0% chance that the sox would trade Beckham.
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Davidtrios wrote:

Yeah, the middle of the lineup clogged up with slow, power-hitters hasnt worked out too well the past few years. It's gotta be close to a 0% chance that the sox would trade Beckham.

Close? It is ZERO. :mrgreen: According to Oz, but hes not Ken Williams...
    Have fun with Rios!!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

i fucken despise rios. this was by farthe worst move by kenny williams ever. 18MILLION for 270 20 hrs 70 rbi and 20 sb AT BEST.
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Have fun with Rios!!!!

i fucken despise rios. this was by farthe worst move by kenny williams ever. 18MILLION for 270 20 hrs 70 rbi and 20 sb AT BEST.

Shows he's a damn good GM if that's his worst move ever. Although, Todd Ritchie comes to mind...

Gotta give Rios a full season to judge him fairly.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
    IwasBit10 wrote:
    Davidtrios wrote:
    Have fun with Rios!!!!

Shows he's a damn good GM if that's his worst move ever. Although, Todd Ritchie comes to mind...

Gotta give Rios a full season to judge him fairly.

While not every move Kenny has made has worked out (that Ritchie move still leaves me scratching my head), Kenny has some balls and isnt afriad to try and make the Sox a better team. As for Rios, let's see what he can do this year. He can't be much worse than last year!