Does Anyone Know Of John Mayer's Music?

g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
edited November 2009 in Other Music
I know nothing about his music but he must have a good following because he's playing MSG 2 dates in a row.

An opening band touring with him is playing and I want to see them instead.

Peace
*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
.....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    He is a incredible guitar player. His music as the John Mayer Trio was pretty good. It was more of a jazz band than his solo material. I'm really not a fan of most of his music. It's just to popish for me but the guy has an insane amount of talent
  • Don't care much for his music, but he is a funny guy and he likes to rag on his fanatical fans.

Tons of women love the guy too, so you can expect it not to be a sausagefest.
    http://twitter.com/DarthSpacegrass
    Maple Leaf Gardens - Sep 21 - Downing Stadium, Randall's Island - Sep 28,29 1996 Blockbuster Music Entertainment Center - Aug 29 - Continental Arena - Sep 08 - MSG - Sep 10,11 1998 Jones Beach Music Theatre - Aug 24,25 2000 MSG - Jun 25, 2008 United Center - Aug 23,24 - Philly Spectrum - October 28,31 2009 PruCenter - May 18 - MSG - May 20,21 2010
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    He seems like a funny dude, but his music sucks ass.
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    He seems like a funny dude, but his music sucks ass.

Word .. right on .. i was thinking he reminds me off a bad knock off of Dave Matthews :mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    His guitar skills are vastly overrated
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I was kind of impressed though with his part of a concert I saw on one of the music channels- didn't know he could be so soulful
  • One of his many fanatical lady fans...my best friend....made me give him a real shot and while much of his stuff is a bit too poppy for my tastes I really do like a lot of his music. The John Mayer Trio stuff, as someone else mentioned, is much more my speed....lots of blues and a bit jazzy. Check out his dvd "Where the Lights Are" for a good taste of that and some of the other more poppy stuff.
    His new album comes on Nov. 17....check out 'Who Says'...cool, laid back track. Also, do an internet search for "Half of My Heart" which has just been leaked....good song despite a small cameo by Taylor Swift....sounds very Fleetwood Mac-ish to me....which is a good thing
    I appreciate his talent as a guitar player more than anything and, hell, he's down with boy EC so he can't be all bad.
    He just announced tour dates yesterday so my friend and I are looking forward to seeing him in Memphis next March.
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Try! is awesome, as is most of his life stuff. I bought Continuum, but it wasn't my favorite album. Some of the songs translate well live, though (Vultures, Bold As Love, Gravity, Belief, Slow Dancing). His new album should be interesting.

I've only seen him live once, at the Rothbury Festival. It was a late afternoon set, so it was kind of hard to judge, but it was pretty relaxing. He's great on guitar (not a God like people claim, but still pretty talented).

In short, pretty good guitar player that can write good songs. He's worth listening to and checking out live, but nothing to slave over. I wouldn't travel to go see him, but if he comes to pittsburgh anytime soon I'll most likely be there.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • g under p wrote:
    I know nothing about his music but he must have a good following because he's playing MSG 2 dates in a row.

Peace
    Who is opening for him? Are you talking about the 2010 dates?

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    don't waste your time. try ryan adams if you want a great singer songwriter.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    g under p wrote:

Peace

My friend Michael Franti and Spearhead
    here are some of the tour dates

TOUR DATES Michael Franti & Spearhead

Thanks for all the updates on John Mayer, the only thing I know about him is that I saw or heard something about him in one of those trash magazines The Enquirer.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• g under p wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Thanks for all the updates on John Mayer, the only thing I know about him is that I saw or heard something about him in one of those trash magazines The Enquirer.

Peace
    Yeah...I've listened to some of Franti before...won't mind seeing them at all.
    We are going to be going to the show in Memphis

• SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    He is a incredible guitar player. His music as the John Mayer Trio was pretty good. It was more of a jazz band than his solo material. I'm really not a fan of most of his music. It's just to popish for me but the guy has an insane amount of talent

Yeah lol my friend is super heavy into John Mayer...I never understood why because he plays guitar and listens to a lot of the same music as me. One day he made me watch a John Mayer dvd...I'm not running out and buying the albums or anything but the trio is pretty badass. Everything else...meh
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    There was a live performance that was on one of the music channels, where they played a whole concert. John Mayer has some fucking chops, let me tell you. That boy can jam fast, and slow, with the best of them.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Don't waste your time on this clown when you could check out Jeff Buckley, Ryan Adams or Chris Whitley. I highly
    recommend any or all of these.
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I've never heard him play before... I know he's on TMZ a lot though, and he was dating Jennifer Anniston.. ;):mrgreen:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    CJMST3K wrote:
    There was a live performance that was on one of the music channels, where they played a whole concert. John Mayer has some fucking chops, let me tell you. That boy can jam fast, and slow, with the best of them.
    check out his performance from the jammys at the wamu theather. fucking just rips on guitar.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Don't waste your time on this clown when you could check out Jeff Buckley, Ryan Adams or Chris Whitley. I highly

or you could do what i do and listen to all 4 of them. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    i know he sucks balls for a living. such a waste of talent
  • Check out his austin city limits performance. It is really good it actually made me start listening to him. There are some great jam sessions on there Peace
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    g under p wrote:

Peace
    Yeah...I've listened to some of Franti before...won't mind seeing them at all.
    We are going to be going to the show in Memphis

I'm a moderator over on Michael's music board and they're giving him grief for selling out playing these dates with John Mayer. Michael Franti usually plays smaller clubs and venues, now he's playing MSG, Wacovia Philly, Verizon Ctr DC. That's the main reason I wanted to know who this guy is, look up something on Youtube.

Peace

• CraneCrane Posts: 192
    Favourite song is Heart of Life. Heard it at the end of Ghost Town and it's a real well up touching moment that the song fits perfectly into. Not a big fan of anything else I've heard though
    "The mind is a wonderfull thing to be altered"

The Point, Dublin 2006
    Bercy, Paris September 11, 2006
    ISS Dome, Dusseldorf, 2007
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    Continuum is an excellent album. There, I said it.
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    I really, really don't like Franti's music - and I'm into all of the "hippie" bands. I saw him at Rothbury (actually, saw both of them at Rothbury) and it didn't do anything for me. Everyone else I was with thought it was one of the better performances, so to each their own.
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886

this
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    g under p wrote:
    I'm a moderator over on Michael's music board and they're giving him grief for selling out playing these dates with John Mayer. Michael Franti usually plays smaller clubs and venues, now he's playing MSG, Wacovia Philly, Verizon Ctr DC. That's the main reason I wanted to know who this guy is, look up something on Youtube.

Peace

Check this out. My favorite song from the John Mayer Trio. He's got a seriously talented bass player and drummer too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwt83O0Sk0
  • chimpatchimpat Posts: 589
    The TRY album is really, really cool. Love songs like "Good Love Is On The Way" and "Another Kind of Green". Pino Palladino (Bass) and Steve Jordan (Drums) are the guys that play with him. I think Steve is playing in his touring band this time around but listening to the new album, it's pretty mellow.

I know John really well, we grew up together and I've been on tour with him throughout the country. I think it's a pretty odd pairing and I'll be surprised if John's fanbase is really into franti's set, I just don't see it happening unfortunately.
    "This is about as perfect a crowd as you can get. I hate to placate, I ain't placating...." - EV, 9/29/96

• gabers wrote:
    g under p wrote:

Peace

Check this out. My favorite song from the John Mayer Trio. He's got a seriously talented bass player and drummer too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOwt83O0Sk0

Is Pino Palladino still touring with Mayer? He's a heckuva bass player.... you don't play with The Who, or Clapton or Jeff Beck if you aren't good.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    Man, music fans can be completely ignorant at times. It's one thing to say "I'm not into it" or "It's not my style," but to flat out deny somebody's talent is just ridiculous to me. I couldn't stand Mayer right after Room for Squares came out. But then a friend showed me his first DVD, and I watched his song "Covered in Rain." The solo was insane, and made me realize how good of a guitarist he really was. It also made me realize how much the radio can pidgeon-hole an artist.

Even his first album, which many consider his poppiest, so to speak, is riduculous to play. Take, for example the song "St. Patrick's Day." It uses over 30 chords. He blends pop and blues together, and manages to write complex music that seems simple to the ear. He has earned the respect of teenie-boppers everywhere, along with the likes of Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, and BB King. That is not an easy feat. And the dude has even covered Yellow Ledbetter live (he's a big Pearl Jam fan).

I respect your opinions, and it's one thing not to like the guy or his music. But have you truly given it a shot? Have you heard anything besides "No Such Thing," "Why Georgia," "Your Body Is a Wonderland," and "Bigger Than my Body?" Even I can't stand some of his songs . . . but he's a very talented musician.

And to those saying he's an overrated guitarist, I'm curious to hear why? Which guitarists do you enjoy? And what about Mayer's playing don't you enjoy? I've been playing for a while, and typically have a pretty good ear for a good musician, so I'm just curious as to other people's opinions.
  • As I said earlier in the thread, a female friend of mine got me to listen to him, so I had so kindly pre-ordered his new disc for her and it came yesterday. Since we weren't together last night I took the opportunity to listen to it and I actually like it quite a bit...not normally my cup of tea but there is some really good stuff on there.
    Also, album pre-orders came with a pre-sale code for tickets so I picked me and and my homegirl up some sweet tickets for the memphis show