Options

Coffee Obsession . . . Addiction?

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
edited October 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
I was going to post this in the 12-step thread, but I didn't know if that would show disrespect as I don't go to 12-step meetings for coffee addiction. However, I just thought others who view that thread would know what I'm talking about.

I usually say the following about coffee:

My personality is better when I drink coffee
Life is more joyful with coffee
Life just drags without coffee

Last week I was wondering if that's what any addict would say about his/her drug of choice. If a drug is uppermost in my mind then that's addiction, right? I feel controlled by it. I haven't had coffee since Saturday, and my face hurt like all get all last night, but I view that as a reflection of my stress at work.

I think addiction to coffee, socially, may not be an issue, as there are many jokes about it, and I even have a calendar about a coffee lifestyle. However, it's like a love/hate relationship. Have you ever tried to stop?

I laugh more without it, my face looks less stressed without it, but life may drag and drag and drag without it. HMMMMM, it's truly love/hate.
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I used to drink a lot of coffee but then after a bad bought of insomnia, packed it in. Now I'll have them occassionally. A couple of years ago I went on holiday and drunk normal coffee for 2 weeks, when I got back and stopped again I had terrible headaches and felt rubbish for a few days.

I am now addicted to chocolate though. :roll:
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Stopped when I was pregnant the first time- did not for my daughter cause I just couldn't take the lag.
    I only drink a cup and a half each am but I'd rather give up my red wine(which I drink a shitload of) than my coffee.
    Coffee is wonderful in the morning. Warming and soul satisfying
  • Options
    PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    I'd say it's an addiction... :shifty:

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    abstention...by choice...can't stand the taste or smell.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    it is more addictive than cocaine... much more addictive.

however, it doesn't cost $150 for a one nighter (for me it is more like $300 :shock: ) and it doesn't make you feel like crap for 2 days afterwards. Also, you don't act like a douchebag or try to hump everything that moves. ;)
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    If I tried to get going w/o coffee in the morning I'd be a somnambulant zombie...a total useless waste of space.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    abstention...by choice...can't stand the taste or smell.
    I like the smell, hate the taste. Never picked up the habit.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    why do you want to go off it?
    do you feel like it is having a negative effect on your life in some way?
    have you thought of decaf?
    i know, most coffee addicts look like this :o :shock: :wtf: at the suggestion, but it CAN be a wonderful compromise, even if not all the time. in fact, it has been suggested that it is the ritual/taste, more than anything, that matters...and if one gradually weans themselves off the caffeine, it won't be missed. try to mix in regular with decaf, a bit at a time, until 100% decaf. or, depending how much you consume, make every other cup, or every 2 cups, decaf and the others regular, etc.

many, many years ago i used to drink a TON of tea, and diet soda. there was nothing wrong with me, no ill effects, but my doctor had suggested it wasn't the greatest thing to consume so much caffeine. so, i simply switched to decaf for both. i was amazed at how easy my transition was. now, when i consume caffeine i know right away, it's amazing! i do occasionally have a caffeinated beverage, but 98% of the time i am caffeine-free. i still drink a lot of tea, i now also drink a lot of iced coffee....i love cappucino here or there, love coffee-flavored ices, ice cream, etc....and i usually drink caffeine-free diet soda when i do have it, tho will drink it with caffeine in a bar with bacardi. :D i do not miss caffeine in the least.

bottomline, if caffeine is your only worry, i would strongly suggest trying the decaf route to some degree or another. and, if that doesn't work....just cut back on the consumption some. there is no reason to cut out your enjoyment entirely. and the smell of coffee is BLISS.

*takes sip of decaf iced coffee*
    :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    :
    My face is more relaxed when I don't drink it, and I bet it affects other muscles the same way. I'm concerned that I'm at a point that I get coffee headaches when I don't drink it. It's like I lost control of something that is so minor, it's embarrassing almost. Also, even though I start the morning better with it, because work is not good, I'm a bear by the time I get into work. The caffeine seems to exacerbate the bad feeling. Also, the ritual, I'm buying a luxury item, even that part of it is addicting.

With that said, though, I didn't even consider decaf. Great suggestion! It probably has enough caffeine so that I don't drag, but not enough to overshoot the goal of a pick-me-up. My work coffee isn't bad, so I'll probably just start with caffeine there.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    :
    My face is more relaxed when I don't drink it, and I bet it affects other muscles the same way. I'm concerned that I'm at a point that I get coffee headaches when I don't drink it. It's like I lost control of something that is so minor, it's embarrassing almost. Also, even though I start the morning better with it, because work is not good, I'm a bear by the time I get into work. The caffeine seems to exacerbate the bad feeling. Also, the ritual, I'm buying a luxury item, even that part of it is addicting.

With that said, though, I didn't even consider decaf. Great suggestion! It probably has enough caffeine so that I don't drag, but not enough to overshoot the goal of a pick-me-up. My work coffee isn't bad, so I'll probably just start with caffeine there.

given all this, i definitely suggest decaf!
    let yourself enjoy the flavor, the aroma, the ritul...just remove what is not working for you - the caffeine. however, if you are getting the withdrawl headaches, again, i strongly suggest you wean yourself to decaf. given yourself at least a week to wean down to no caffeine. too many people think they so *need* their coffee/caffeine fix, but really....it's simply the ritual to get you started. or, at least one cup of caffeine would suffice. it IS an addiction. i wish i could get my husband off it, i think he would feel better.

good luck and enjoy your coffee!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I enjoy coffee in the morning...but I don't drink it in excess. I keep it to a morning thing for the most part. During the winter I sometimes drink it at night...I've never had a problem with caffeine keeping me up. I used to be able to wake up in the middle of the night, drink a Coke and go back to sleep...but I don't drink soda anymore.

Somedays I pass on coffee, and just have some caffeine-free tea when I get to work...I notice that if I drink coffee nonstop, I begin to have bad mid-day crashes. Also, it loses it's element of special if I drink it all the time. There are certain foods that coffee goes great with though. I'm a sucker for coffee on rainy days too.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i'm heavily addicted.
    Light with half and half & 2 Sweet n Lows or Equals .

Dunkin Donuts French Vanilla in particular.
    I do not mean the ones you buy in the store by the cup ,
    ( they now use regular coffee with flavored syrups added as opposed to actually brewing the flavored coffee grinds )
    I mean buying it by the bag , and brewing at home/ and at work .
    At work , we all chip in, and we drink it all day long .( up till about noontime )
    yummy.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    I enjoy coffee in the morning...but I don't drink it in excess. I keep it to a morning thing for the most part. During the winter I sometimes drink it at night...I've never had a problem with caffeine keeping me up. I used to be able to wake up in the middle of the night, drink a Coke and go back to sleep...but I don't drink soda anymore.

Somedays I pass on coffee, and just have some caffeine-free tea when I get to work...I notice that if I drink coffee nonstop, I begin to have bad mid-day crashes. Also, it loses it's element of special if I drink it all the time. There are certain foods that coffee goes great with though. I'm a sucker for coffee on rainy days too.
    you sir, hit the nail on the head. EXACT same with me.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    dcfaithful wrote:

you sir, hit the nail on the head. EXACT same with me.

I aim to please. 8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

funny, back when i was a heavy caffeine consumer, i too had NO problems drinking copious amounts of caffeinated beverages, at all hours, no ill effects. it was not unusual for me to occasionally in dulge in 3-4 cappuccinos after dinner when at our fave italian restaurant. granted, this is all well over a decade ago at this point. :P now, if i have ONE coffee with caffeine, i feel it! i really can't even consume really good coffee ice or gelato, b/c of the caffeine. :wtf: amazing the change there. but sure, i can still eat chocolate (thank bejeebus! :shock: ), have an occasional caffeinated tea or soda, etc....np.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    coffee is more of a ritual for me than anything else I think...part of my morning routine, but only on days I work. On the weekends or days off I don't even think about it or notice if I don't have it. I have a 60 minute commute, so drinking some yummy Wawa coffee on the way just seems to make the drive go by easier. I also have it when I go out to dinner and it never seems to disrupt my sleep no matter how late it is. I tried to make the switch to green tea last year, but it just didn't taste as good.
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    coffee is more of a ritual for me than anything else I think...part of my morning routine, but only on days I work. On the weekends or days off I don't even think about it or notice if I don't have it. I have a 60 minute commute, so drinking some yummy Wawa coffee on the way just seems to make the drive go by easier. I also have it when I go out to dinner and it never seems to disrupt my sleep no matter how late it is. I tried to make the switch to green tea last year, but it just didn't taste as good.

Wow..you're courageous

60 minute ride while downing coffee

I would need a diaper for the car ride :thumbup:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    I will give up my coffee when they pry my mug from my cold dead fingers! :crazy:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    I will give up my coffee when they pry my mug from my cold dead fingers! :crazy:
    That is the only laugh I've had all day. :D
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    That is the only laugh I've had all day. :D
    Happy to oblige. :D

Srsly, years ago I was going to an allergist and he suggested I cut back on my coffee. I pointed out that I'd never smoked, I had to give up alcohol due to some health issues, I have some food allergies (dairy being the worst), and I seldom eat sweets. So as far as coffee, it was the only vice I had left! I had to hang on to something! :wtf: He agreed.

I enjoy my coffee a lot. :thumbup:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    Since I quit smoking my caffeine intake has more than doubled. I'm easily into double figures everyday. But I figure, one addiction at a time.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    i used to drink two or three cups every morning when i hit the office. did this for close to 10 years. this spring i quit cold turkey and switched to water.

i still get a starbucks on the weekends 3 or 4 times a month. that about it.

i don't drink much soda either.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    after quit smking all this coffee thing change..i drink like every day at work,,some days i forgot to make any if work is hell
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Coffee is not a drug. I used to suck dick for coke.
    Now that's an addiction, man. You ever suck some dick for coffee?
    I didn't think so.

;)
  • Options
    I didn't think so.

;)
    Is that part of a stand up routine or something? hahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:

It definitely puts my *addiction* in perspective. You're right, it could be worse.
  • Options
    I didn't think so.

;)

didya suck dick for a ciggie tho?
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I didn't think so.

;)
    Is that part of a stand up routine or something? hahahahahahahahahahahahaha :lol:

It definitely puts my *addiction* in perspective. You're right, it could be worse.
    It's Bob Saget's cameo in the movie Half Baked....substitute coffee for marijuana :)
    :lol: ....I've got nothing. I don't even know where to go with this haha
  • Options
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    hot tea
    thank you...

every morning i have a few cups of hot tea with lemon. add sugar or honey.
    lately i been drinking about a half a gallon of ice tea every evening.
    "but chadwick, how do you know how much a half gallon is"

i make ice tea in quart size canning jars.

incredible i know...
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    :lol: ....I've got nothing. I don't even know where to go with this haha

ya know i love to leave ya speechless...;)

chad!
    good to finally see you here!

i was an avid tea drinker ALL my life, with the occasional cappuccino. then a few years ago i caught the iced coffee bug. LOVE iced coffee! it did infringe on my hot tea habit tho. now i balance between the two, and i usually drink iced green tea each evening with dinner, well, as long as i'm not having wine...:P

*oh and yes, i too make it by the 2 quart pitcher each week, 1 or 2x a week....and a 2 quart of iced coffee too.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...