Options

Why doesnt anyone like Speed of Sound?

Comments

• Options
    I love both versions.
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    This is the one song on the album I've listened to 10x over and over. I love this song.
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,719
    LOVE SPEED OF SOUND! love the album version, it has many layers. i also love the demo but i'm glad that the whole band plays it on the album version. people on this forum like to complain too much. a lot of pearl jam fans are spoiled brats. if they didn't even release the demo, there wouldn't be this controversy. however, i'm glad that they did because now we have both versions to enjoy.
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • Options
    being sammiched in between supersonic and force of nature on the cd is a tuff act

force of nature is soooo right on. omg
  • Options
    I was a little shocked to see this post, mostly because I think that SOS is a beautiful song. I haven't heard the demo though, so I guess I don't have the same frame of reference as a lot of the people who dislike the song. I can't imagine that hearing the demo first would have made a difference though (for me, anyway).
    You will be no one's rival....

~Cincinnati, US Bank Arena - June 24, 2006~
    ~Chicago, United Center - Aug. 24, 2009~
    ~Columbus, Nationwide Arena - May 6, 2010~
    ~PJ20, Troy, WI, Alpine Valley - Sept. 3, 2011~
    ~PJ20, Troy, WI, Alpine Valley - Sept. 4, 2011~
  • Options
    I like it....... :)
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    Really i didn't like the demo version at all i prefer the cd version way better ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    vaggar99 wrote:
    I havent been on the board in quite a while. I am really surprised at the general reception to some of the songs on Backspacer..Seems like most everyone dislikes Speed of Sound. I thought this one would be at the top of most peoples lists. Just curious...what is that you dislike about it?

I like it! Took me a bit to get over the way they "popped it up", but I really like it now.
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    Overall, I do like the studio version of "Speed Of Sound", however, what bothers me about it is that the guitar in the mix is pretty much non-existent...After the beginning of each verse it disappears completely, and all that you can hear is the drums, strings and the keys...If the guitar was much more upfront in the mix the song could have had much bigger balls...
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    vaggar99 wrote:
    I havent been on the board in quite a while. I am really surprised at the general reception to some of the songs on Backspacer..Seems like most everyone dislikes Speed of Sound. I thought this one would be at the top of most peoples lists. Just curious...what is that you dislike about it?

You're awfully casual with your use of the all inclusive "Everyone."

I don't dislike it!!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    I don't dislike it per se, it's just not that special. On an album with rocking songs like Got Some, gonna see my friend, suupersonic, force of nature, it just doesn't stand up. don't get me wrong, i think Just Breathe and The End are amazing, it's not about the tempo - it's just that it never really hits you in the gut with anything. and i did like the demo version better. still wouldn't have been in my 5 favorite songs on the record though. as is, it is my least favorite.
  • Options
    Mad MohabMad Mohab Posts: 310
    I love it.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Because it ranks right up there with Army Reserve as the worst Pearl Jam songs ever.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    I love it, let everyone else hate I think its fantastic
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    [/quote]

You're awfully casual with your use of the all inclusive "Everyone."

I don't dislike it!![/quote]

I did say "most everyone". Just surprised to see it at the bottom of almost everyones list (Backspacer song ranking thread)
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Here's the thing about the album version... It's a good song, lyrically it's beautiful and contains some of Ed's most earnest lyrics ever....

BUT! The stripped down demo is a lot easier for people to like because it doesn't have a lot of the spacey effects like the album version does... for some people it makes them cringe to hear those sounds coming into their ears... and it's not without reason... those sounds are so very anti-Pearl Jam...

Personally speaking, It took me a lot of listens to like the album version and now I can say I like it more than the demo, the demo is good and I loved it for a long time... but it's kind of boring compared to the album version... and I've come to embrace the odd overdone complexity of the album version.

I think when they finally do play it live, it will most likely be stripped down a tad so they can actually handle it... I think it will be a cool mix of the over the top album version and the very naked demo.
  • Options
    joebotjoebot Posts: 372
    I love speed of sound
  • Options
    lurkinlurkin Posts: 77
    When Ed sings, "And yet I'm still holding tight," I can't help but picture Olivian Newton John singing Hopelessly Devoted in Grease. Am I the only one?

I may be a total goober, but I LOVE THIS SONG.

My favorite line is "this nite has been a long one" Dig the way that little bit sounds SO much.

Really hoping to hear it sometime during this so cal tour, pretty please with sugar on top (as if it all weren't just too f-in' sweet already, eh?)
  • Options
    One of their best. Absolutely love it. Different... but def one of their best. Anyone remmber when an album named No Code came out?
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Because they ruined the album version by adding drums and shit! It was beautiful just Vedder playing it simple.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    my girlfriend loves it, i love the eddie solo version. the whole band version is starting to grow on me though
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    i like both the album version and the demo.........but i think the album version fits better on Backspacer ...it has more meat

my only complaint would be all of the weird background noises....they dont detract from the song, but i am just curious as to why they are there....thats why i am waitng to hear it live. Overall I think it will be pretty nice.
  • Options
    mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    vaggar99 wrote:
    Where would one get these demos you speak of?

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XF7GGNTV

Wow, thank you. So far the album version of this reminds me of Riot Act more than anything else on BS. I really enjoy PJ having that nice and easy sound sometimes. A good song on a great album, for me.

Wow this version is really great! I can see how some really like this version. I downloaded it and the player is repeating it over and over. And I just happened to have sexy time to with it repeating... I wonder if that will be an attached memory.
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I love it.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I love the song.

It's in the perfect location on the album right before Force of Nature rips you apart.

Like others have stated once they break it out live it will get better. By the way have they yet?

WIth The End and Just Breathe another EV solo would have been too much for Backspacer.
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I am loving every song on Backspacer except Johnny Guitar. Maybe that will grow on me, just not feeling it so far.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    SoS is my second favourite on the album :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    as i said in my Backspacer review....the album version is overproduced and doesn't even have 1/4 the feeling that the demo version does...i know it was because they already had 2 slow songs on the album so BOB prob felt obligated to "add" to this song..but he destroyed it in the process...which is ok...i just rip BS to my HD then burn a copy and repleace the album version with the demo...problem solved!

so i do like the song a lot...just not the album version.
  • Options
    My3rdEyeMy3rdEye Posts: 926
    I don't hate it... but I do find it a bit boring
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I like it