poster buying.

hoobot24hoobot24 Posts: 56
edited December 2007 in The Porch
i've got some boot shows, cd, dvd, etc. and i was wondering...
is it out of the ordinary to buy posters to shows you like listening to/watching but weren't in some cases there in attendance? like, for every boot you have, you buy a poster for, whether you were there or not (if you can find it, if it's available, for how ever much you're willing to pay etc., of course). i'd like to do it, but i was wondering if many do this too. i know a lot of people limit themselves to just the posters to the shows they've been to or whatever. which is good in most cases because obviously it gets kinda pricey.

opinions anyone? :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    hoobot24 wrote:
    i've got some boot shows, cd, dvd, etc. and i was wondering...
    is it out of the ordinary to buy posters to shows you like listening to/watching but weren't in some cases there in attendance? like, for every boot you have, you buy a poster for, whether you were there or not (if you can find it, if it's available, for how ever much you're willing to pay etc., of course). i'd like to do it, but i was wondering if many do this too. i know a lot of people limit themselves to just the posters to the shows they've been to or whatever. which is good in most cases because obviously it gets kinda pricey.

opinions anyone? :)

Who cares if it is out of the ordinary.....do whatcha want!
    :)
  • kj1nyrkj1nyr Posts: 837
    Myself and many other poster freaks around here like them for both the band and the artwork. If you like something and you have the cash, go for it!

But be careful, poster collecting is a VERY addictive and very expensive habit. :)

Peace,
    KJ
  • For me its 70% artwork and 30% the band when I choose posters. I never buy a poster if I dislike the band.

I started collecting gig-posters but soon moved on to some heavier stuff.... Art Prints! So watch out! ;)
    Paris, France 11/9 2006
    Copenhagen, Denmark 26/6 2007
    Stockholm, Sweden 7/7 2012
    Solna, Sweden 28/6 2014
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    my first posters are those of the 2 show I attended last year (paris and antwerp). This year, I decided to buy the posters of the shows I was at (Copenhagen; there was no postrer for Werchter). But now, I'm becoming addicted and I've already bought a few posters of shows I didn't attended, just because I liked the design, etc...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Julien wrote:
    my first posters are those of the 2 show I attended last year (paris and antwerp). This year, I decided to buy the posters of the shows I was at (Copenhagen; there was no postrer for Werchter). But now, I'm becoming addicted and I've already bought a few posters of shows I didn't attended, just because I liked the design, etc...
    this is exactly what happened to me! (I have yet to frame any of them... hoping that our tax return this year will help in getting a few framed)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    this is exactly what happened to me! (I have yet to frame any of them... hoping that our tax return this year will help in getting a few framed)
    yes, it's worth framing the posters. I framed two recently (Copenhagne and katowice 2007). It's just make me want to buy more posters and make them framed... as said above, this is an expensive collection...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • kj1nyr wrote:
    Myself and many other poster freaks around here like them for both the band and the artwork. If you like something and you have the cash, go for it!

But be careful, poster collecting is a VERY addictive and very expensive habit. :)

Peace,
    KJ

I agree 100% this is nice and expensive habit.

I like only PJ posters and I buy only posters that I want to put on the wall, don't need the posters just to keep them in the drawer.
    CAN'T KEEP CRAZY MARY IN MY TREE NO WAY NOT FOR YOU. ALL THOSE YESTERDAY JEREMY is ALONE, SAD with RATS & BUGS it's HARD TO IMAGINE a JEREMY a BETTER MAN.
    LIFE WASTED, BLOOD on the PORCH, LAST KISS is a WISHLIST DEEP DOWN NOTHING AS IT SEEMS WHY GO COME BACK ALIVE SPIN THE BLACK CIRCLE and SMILE.
    For me its 70% artwork and 30% the band when I choose posters. I never buy a poster if I dislike the band.

I started collecting gig-posters but soon moved on to some heavier stuff.... Art Prints! So watch out! ;)

LOL, "moved on to some heavier stuff". Same here and so true. But the real money bleeder is the framing, if you do it right.
  • Go For It
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • kj1nyr wrote:
    LOL, "moved on to some heavier stuff". Same here and so true. But the real money bleeder is the framing, if you do it right.

I agree.. the framing is the poster bug's heroin :)
    Paris, France 11/9 2006
    Copenhagen, Denmark 26/6 2007
    Stockholm, Sweden 7/7 2012
    Solna, Sweden 28/6 2014
  • about how much would it cost to get one of these posters framed???

new to this i'm sure you can see!

ETA--- and does the price perhaps depend on where/how you get it framed???
    The cost can vary widely depending on many factors. You could do what is generally referred to as "K-Mart Framing", which is purchase a cheap frame from KMart, Walmart, Target etc. If you hope to keep your posters in mint condition this is not recommended as the backing and/or glass can eventually cause your poster to deteriorate.

Ideally you want to frame with acid free backing, acid free matte (to keep the poster from touching the glass, which can ruin the paint) and UV glass (keeps the poster from fading). This could cost anywhere from maybe $75 to $400 depending on the size of the print, what materials you choose, how many mattes (some people like multiple mattes for more contrast colors) and where you get the item framed. Some good info about all this is available at the poster collectors' mecca online, expressobeans.com. Here are some links to two of their wiki topics:

http://www.expressobeans.com/wiki/index.php/Storing_Your_Print
    http://www.expressobeans.com/wiki/index.php/DIY_Framing

For some framing ideas keep an eye on the "framed posters" thread right here on the porch and you'll see how the right frame and matte can really make your poster shine:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=149149

Peace,
    KJ
  • kj1nyr wrote:
    The cost can vary widely depending on many factors. You could do what is generally referred to as "K-Mart Framing", which is purchase a cheap frame from KMart, Walmart, Target etc. If you hope to keep your posters in mint condition this is not recommended as the backing and/or glass can eventually cause your poster to deteriorate.

Ideally you want to frame with acid free backing, acid free matte (to keep the poster from touching the glass, which can ruin the paint) and UV glass (keeps the poster from fading). This could cost anywhere from maybe $75 to $400 depending on the size of the print, what materials you choose, how many mattes (some people like multiple mattes for more contrast colors) and where you get the item framed. Some good info about all this is available at the poster collectors' mecca online, expressobeans.com. Here are some links to two of their wiki topics:

http://www.expressobeans.com/wiki/index.php/Storing_Your_Print
    http://www.expressobeans.com/wiki/index.php/DIY_Framing

For some framing ideas keep an eye on the "framed posters" thread right here on the porch and you'll see how the right frame and matte can really make your poster shine:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=149149

Peace,
    KJ

this is very helpful......thank you!!!!!!!