Options

Pearl Jam's Tours these Days...I'm Confused.

KrautMcfriendKrautMcfriend Posts: 20
edited August 2009 in The Porch
Jammers,

I am kind of baffled, so maybe someone can set me straight, because I don't keep up with the band member's comments like many of you do.

Pearl Jam "seemed" to go on tours when they used to release an album, that covered a cluster of cities all across the US. I live in Kansas City, a college student about to graduate, and don't have money to "tour" or travel to far off shows....

Their last tour for the album, "Pearl Jam," seemed to get a lot of fans upset because they did not tour the mid-west in cities like St. Louis, or the south, like New Orleans. For whatever reason, that is what they did.

It "seems" like they are doing this again, for this album, unless they come back after Australia (or wherever they just announced) and tour a bunch more in the US. Is this possible? I mean, after their last album being so damn good, the best since Yield, and now a very short US tour during the release of this one (Backspacer), what's up?

I'm not upset or bitter, but it seems like they don't tour the US like they used to, but I don't understand why this would be...It seemed like they toured the US better for "Riot Act" and "Binaural," and those albums did horrible amongst the "average" critic.

Any thoughts?
Rock Pearl Jam, Rock The Vote...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    I would think they will cover a lot of missed ground next year, ie the south and midwest.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    I would think they will cover a lot of missed ground next year, ie the south and midwest.
    i wouldnt hold my breath... :)
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    Agreed. Meanwhile, I am happy as hell to live in Philly (12 shows in 9 years)...though my EV wallet is not as happy :D
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    there is another thread stating that they are going to tour in 2010... Of course they will do a full fledged tour of the united states in 2010. They will also play more in Europe and possibly South America/Mexico. Don't worry they will hit the mid-west, south, south-east and north-east next year.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    WoobynabWoobynab Posts: 50
    I read somewhere on a Rolling Stone article that Pearl Jam will do "little, if any touring in 2010" because someone in the band is expecting a new child.
  • Options
    It's been YEARS since they've come to Texas (the last time they were close was right after my son was born, and he's six now, so ...)

And no, Austin City Limits does NOT count. A 45 minute set in a small venue during a festival hardly makes up for over half a decade of being ignored. My brother and I joke that it must have been because "W" used to be our Governor ... but he's gone now, so hopefully they'll stop snubbing us.

If they don't come through here in '10 I am officially off the band wagon. Screw bands that don't give a shit about a large portion of their fans.

Just my $.02 ...
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    I don't think the tour would stop in Christchurch - that stop could be only the closure of the first chapter. They are releasing a new record after 3,5 years , the chemistry with Europe is really strong again and the boys appreciate it + the band owes Latin America another proper tour...and let's not forget about the So.
    :D :roll:
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,942
    asmacumber wrote:
    It's been YEARS since they've come to Texas (the last time they were close was right after my son was born, and he's six now, so ...)

And no, Austin City Limits does NOT count. A 45 minute set in a small venue during a festival hardly makes up for over half a decade of being ignored. My brother and I joke that it must have been because "W" used to be our Governor ... but he's gone now, so hopefully they'll stop snubbing us.

If they don't come through here in '10 I am officially off the band wagon. Screw bands that don't give a shit about a large portion of their fans.

Just my $.02 ...

45 minutes??? No way, you can expect a 95-115 minute long set. Trust me.
    budapest.arnhem.antwerpen.vienna.madrid.katowice.nova_rock.nijmegen.rotterdam.berlin.dublin.belfast.london.venice.prague.stockholm.copenhagen.vienna.leeds.milton_keynes.padova.
    prague.seattle1.seattle2.chicago1
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    they don't tour like they used to, but i feel like they've earned that right. as frustrating as it might be to some, it is what it is. speculating on it certainly doesn't change anything, but venting your frustration hopefully helps some.....besides, sounds like a larger tour is coming next year.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    asmacumber wrote:

Just my $.02 ...

You are confusing the ACL TV Taping and the ACL Festival. They are doing both and are slated to play 2 hours on Sunday night at the festival. They are doing the taping on Saturday and they will play there longer than 45 minutes. Most bands play 2 hours and then it gets edited for TV.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    arthurdentarthurdent Posts: 969
    MrSmith wrote:
    i wouldnt hold my breath... :)

yeah, it's all about the paycheck these days. How to make the most $$$ with the least amount of effort. That's why they've avoided the South/Midwest like the plague since '03. It just seems like the band isn't interested so much in playing for people and getting out there as they are in the payday.
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Drop out...get a job...travel to PJ shows...

Problem solved
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    asmacumber wrote:

Just my $.02 ...

$.02 = not a lot of cents.

--"w" still resides in texas.
    --curious (and telling?) use of the term 'band wagon'.
    --outstanding solution stickfig13.
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    Jammers,

jammers??????? :shock: :shock: :shock:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    asmacumber wrote:

Just my $.02 ...

$.02 = not a lot of cents.

--"w" still resides in texas.
    --curious (and telling?) use of the term 'band wagon'.
    --outstanding solution stickfig13.

Thanks

Don't understand why people bitch because they can't travel to shows because of funds. Why is it the bands fault if you don't have money to travel?

They probably don't want to play in shitty little towns....I don't blame them
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    next year will be a fun year for everyone I truly believe as it will be the "2010 Watch It Go To Fire Tour"
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,659
    stickfig13 wrote:
    Drop out...get a job...travel to PJ shows...

Problem solved

...or just move to Chicago, you're bound to get some type of show each year. :D
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    they don't tour like they used to, but i feel like they've earned that right. as frustrating as it might be to some, it is what it is. speculating on it certainly doesn't change anything, but venting your frustration hopefully helps some.....besides, sounds like a larger tour is coming next year.

agreed on all points, but most especially the last.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    Jammers,

I am kind of baffled, so maybe someone can set me straight, because I don't keep up with the band member's comments like many of you do.

Pearl Jam "seemed" to go on tours when they used to release an album, that covered a cluster of cities all across the US. I live in Kansas City, a college student about to graduate, and don't have money to "tour" or travel to far off shows....

Their last tour for the album, "Pearl Jam," seemed to get a lot of fans upset because they did not tour the mid-west in cities like St. Louis, or the south, like New Orleans. For whatever reason, that is what they did.

It "seems" like they are doing this again, for this album, unless they come back after Australia (or wherever they just announced) and tour a bunch more in the US. Is this possible? I mean, after their last album being so damn good, the best since Yield, and now a very short US tour during the release of this one (Backspacer), what's up?

I'm not upset or bitter, but it seems like they don't tour the US like they used to, but I don't understand why this would be...It seemed like they toured the US better for "Riot Act" and "Binaural," and those albums did horrible amongst the "average" critic.

Any thoughts?

in 2010 PJ is gonna start a fire...just as they promised in DTE...we just have to wait (and pray for a philly 3 :mrgreen: )

edit: ha "elwayvedder" and i are on the same page
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    edit: ha "elwayvedder" and i are on the same page

let's copyright the phrase and only give it to the band if they play a philly 3 - philly 200
  • Options
    this isnt a complaint, but i wonder why they are only doing multiple night shows in huge cities (where hardcore fans will scoop up most of the tickets) if they are trying to expand their fanbase. If they really want a bigger audience they are gonna have to hit the road and play the mid and small cities. its probably too hard now with family and being old and all :oops: .