Options

Joshua House Fund

ABetterManABetterMan Posts: 22
edited December 2007 in The Porch
Hello everyone.

I've been a member of this site for a little while, but never really post, just lurk every once in a while, so many of you probably don't know me.

Anyway, I was inspired to make this thread after seeing "The Better Present Pledge" that Sea started. I am part of a group called Joshua House Fund. I'm also webmaster for their website. It's based out of Darien, Connecticut, but we get donations and volunteers from all over the United States.

Every summer we take a group of teenagers with their parents down to McCreary County, Kentucky, one of the poorest counties in the United States. I have gone on the trip four times and plan on going back a fifth time this summer. It has changed my way of life and thinking in so many ways. Being able to change someone's life firsthand is truly an extraordinary feeling.

Joshua House has built 11 houses altogether, 10 in Kentucky and 1 in South Dakota. (Pearl Jam reference: Back when they built the house in South Dakota, Stone showed up for a few days. I guess his mom was running the thing and was one of the cooks. I'm told she's a great cook.) In the time since I've joined, we've enlisted the help of a construction company (Eppley Renovations, Incorporated) to come down with us and build a house with themselves. Now, due to the overwhelming amount of people wanting to go on this trip, in two years we will be able to build three houses in a week.

In a week the group gets up all four walls, the inside walls, the roof, the doors and windows in, the porch on, the Tyvek on, and some of the siding up. The construction company that assists us down there gets the rest of it done. In past years, with our last construction group, the house was finished sometime after Christmas. With our new and improved construction group, we got last year's house up and occupied BEFORE THANKSGIVING.

Anyway, I thought I would inform you of the Fund just to get awareness up. This is not for donation purposes, although you can if you like at http://www.joshuahousefund.org/donate.htm Unfortunately at this time we do not have online donations possible, but I am trying to work on that. We have a form to print out and send in.

If you want to learn more about the trip, either ask me or go to http://www.joshuahousefund.org

If you are interested in volunteering, let me know and I can get you started. We are all booked up for this year but I can get you on the back-up list or get you ready for the 2009 summer.

Thank you for your time, it means a lot.

Joshua House Fund: Building Houses, Changing Lives...
2006: May 13th and 25th, June 1st and 3rd
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    if you are ever in kansas, i would be honored to assist.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Got to love people like this. Selfless and willing to do so much to help others.

Nice work. Very interesting post.
  • Options
    Bump so some more can see...
    2006: May 13th and 25th, June 1st and 3rd