Options

The Fixer = Unemployable = Same vibes = Ok, I love it

JS91JS91 Posts: 4
edited July 2009 in The Porch
I felt the same way as when I heard "Unemployable" when I received my WWS single. This is neither an in-your-face "love it" or "hate it" post. I do like the song. Maybe because it's loyalty. Maybe because I get so excited for a new PJ single, and the overall feeling around this point in the anticipation stages of a new album soon being released.

But the song does remind me of "Unemployable." Feels less angry, not as direct, a sense of pop (so what?), and I remember when I heard Unemployable the first time, I was struck by it's contrast to everything else, and it's hook, and I soon fell in love with it. So, feel free to agree or tell me why it's a bad comparison. To me, they sound alike, and I like them both. I like different layers of their music. I'm actually hoping Backspacer is strong, start to finish, overall, and that there are no blow off tracks like "Bugs" or some of the others they sometimes stick in there. This is more of an issue to me than the pop-nature of The Fixer. And I bet I just opened up a new can of worms by saying that.

I've learned a long time ago that the youthful flannel wearing, hang from the rafter rage is gone. Problem was the band evolved, but even though I was getting older too, I still longed for the past. But almost 20 years later, I'm fortunate that they continue to supply tunes that inspire, make you think, and feel something. I enjoy The Fixer. No, it doesn't reinvent the wheel. It's not PJ like the first time they played "Animal" at the MTV awards. But I'll take it. Just like I took Unemployable.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    "I’ll say your prayers I’ll take your side
    I’ll burn as a way to make light
    I’ll dig your grave
    We'll dance and sing
    What’s saved could be
    One last lifetime"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I freakin' LOVE that part of the song!!!!
  • Options
    ...at least the lyrics are better than those on "Inside Job".
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Seems like the only reason people are comparing this to Unemployable is because they used Whoa oh oh's and yeah yeah yeahhsss in each song respectively. I think that small factor is making people think they sound more similar than they do.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    JS91 wrote:
    ...at least the lyrics are better than those on "Inside Job".

don't go dissing mikes lyrics :lol: i love inside job.

each to their own though 8-)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    Bearclaw53Bearclaw53 Dallas, TX Posts: 62
    Great post! Agree 100%.
  • Options
    Over Bends, I respectfully disagree. Sure, both songs have that. They also have guitar similarities as well. I just think the overall sound is similar. But of course, both songs = two different subject matters. I will say that I like "Unemployable" better and I think it's stronger, whereas "The Fixer" feels safer. But they both sound alike, even minus the oh oh oh's and the yeah yeah yeah's.
  • Options
    the fixer is the bastard love child of ac/dc and shania twain on heavy doses of prozac.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    the fixer is the bastard love child of ac/dc and shania twain on heavy doses of prozac.

That's some bastard child.
  • Options
    Sounds more like Green Disease to me (but that song was good). i seem to be the only person who thinks that.
  • Options
    I think it sounds similar to Unemployable because Matt had a hand in writing it. I could be wrong though.
  • Options
    seriously, unemployable is 1000 times better than the fixer, regardless of whether or not you like unemployable or not.
    You may have seen me:
    Cleveland 5/20/2006
    Pittsburgh 6/23/2006
    Columbia 6/16/2008
    Bristow 5/13/2010
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    seriously, unemployable is 1000 times better than the fixer, regardless of whether or not you like unemployable or not.
    Well, I disagree.

Therefore, your opinion is not fact. Making it an opinion. Which I'm sure many others as well as myself completely disagree with.

But I digress.
  • Options
    tcaporale wrote:
    Well, I disagree.

Therefore, your opinion is not fact. Making it an opinion. Which I'm sure many others as well as myself completely disagree with.

But I digress.
    very true.
    although a majority of you (and not necessarily you...i'm not familiar with you personally but in general) don't seem to be able to accept anything negative regarding the band. you pay your dues and cum all over anything and everything the band does.
    You may have seen me:
    Cleveland 5/20/2006
    Pittsburgh 6/23/2006
    Columbia 6/16/2008
    Bristow 5/13/2010
  • Options
    although a majority of you (and not necessarily you...i'm not familiar with you personally but in general) don't seem to be able to accept anything negative regarding the band. you pay your dues and cum all over anything and everything the band does.

I've made it quite clear that I hated Avocado for the most part, and I like this song a lot. I'm sure there are other people who feel the same way. So your theory falls flat.