Options

StubHub- Ebay etc..

C.C. NicosiaC.C. Nicosia Posts: 59
edited July 2009 in The Porch
I'm sure this topic has been addressed gobs already but could someone with a little patience tell me ...are the tix that are for sale there being sold by TC members? if not not, how are there tix for sale before Ticketmaster... are they brokers?

Thanks!
JAMMER FOR LIFE!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    I'm sure this topic has been addressed gobs already but could someone with a little patience tell me ...are the tix that are for sale there being sold by TC members? if not not, how are there tix for sale before Ticketmaster... are they brokers?

Thanks!

many ways for tickets to be on Ebay, StubHub, etc.... season passes, corporate suites and ticket oppotunities, employee presales, etc.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • Options
    Dirt Like MeDirt Like Me Posts: 204
    I've posted this before but I think it is the best synopsis of the ticket situation I have read. It was posted on nin.com by Trent Reznor in March. It still makes me sick that PJ got so little backup when they tried to fight TM and this system about 15 years ago. Where was Springsteen then? Sad but true I believe:

As we approach on-sale dates for the upcoming tour, I've noticed lots of you are curious / concerned / outraged at the plethora of tickets that somehow appear on all these reseller sites at inflated prices - even before the pre-sale dates. I'll do my best to explain the situation as I see it, as well as clarify my organization's stance in the matter.

NIN decides to tour this summer. We arrive at the conclusion outdoor amphitheaters are the right venue for this outing, for a variety of reasons we've throughly considered*. In the past, NIN would sell the shows in each market to local promoters, who then "buy" the show from us to sell to you. Live Nation happens to own all the amphitheaters and bought most of the local promoters - so if you want to play those venues, you're being promoted by Live Nation. Live Nation has had an exclusive deal with TicketMaster that has just expired, so Live Nation launched their own ticketing service. Most of the dates on this tour are through Live Nation, some are through TicketMaster - this is determined by the promoter (Live Nation), not us.
    Now we get into the issue of secondary markets for tickets, which is the hot issue here. The ticketing marketplace for rock concerts shows a real lack of sophistication, meaning this: the true market value of some tickets for some concerts is much higher than what the act wants to be perceived as charging. For example, there are some people who would be willing to pay $1,000 and up to be in the best seats for various shows, but MOST acts in the rock / pop world don't want to come off as greedy pricks asking that much, even though the market says its value is that high. The acts know this, the venue knows this, the promoters know this, the ticketing company knows this and the scalpers really know this. So...

The venue, the promoter, the ticketing agency and often the artist camp (artist, management and agent) take tickets from the pool of available seats and feed them directly to the re-seller (which from this point on will be referred to by their true name: SCALPER). I am not saying every one of the above entities all do this, nor am I saying they do it for all shows but this is a very common practice that happens more often than not. There is money to be made and they feel they should participate in it. There are a number of scams they employ to pull this off which is beyond the scope of this note.

StubHub.com is an example of a re-seller / scalper. So is TicketsNow.com.

Here's the rub: TicketMaster has essentially been a monopoly for many years - certainly up until Live Nation's exclusive deal ran out. They could have (and can right now) stop the secondary market dead in its tracks by doing the following: limit the amount of sales per customer, print names on the tickets and require ID / ticket matches at the venue. We know this works because we do it for our pre-sales. Why don't THEY do it? It's obvious - they make a lot of money fueling the secondary market. TicketMaster even bought a re-seller site and often bounces you over to that site to buy tickets (TicketsNow.com)!

NIN gets 10% of the available seats for our own pre-sale. We won a tough (and I mean TOUGH) battle to get the best seats. We require you to sign up at our site (for free) to get tickets. We limit the amount you can buy, we print your name on the tickets and we have our own person let you in a separate entrance where we check your ID to match the ticket. We charge you a surcharge that has been less than TicketMaster's or Live Nation's in all cases so far to pay for the costs of doing this - it's not a profit center for us. We have essentially stopped scalping by doing these things - because we want true fans to be able to get great seats and not get ripped off by these parasites.

I assure you nobody in the NIN camp supplies or supports the practice of supplying tickets to these re-sellers because it's not something we morally feel is the right thing to do. We are leaving money on the table here but it's not always about money.
    Being completely honest, it IS something I've had to consider. If people are willing to pay a lot of money to sit up front AND ARE GOING TO ANYWAY thanks to the rigged system, why let that money go into the hands of the scalpers? I'm the one busting my ass up there every night. The conclusion really came down to it not feeling like the right thing to do - simple as that.

My guess as to what will eventually happen if / when Live Nation and TicketMaster merges is that they'll move to an auction or market-based pricing scheme - which will simply mean it will cost a lot more to get a good seat for a hot show. They will simply BECOME the scalper, eliminating them from the mix.

Nothing's going to change until the ticketing entity gets serious about stopping the problem - which of course they don't see as a problem. The ultimate way to hurt scalpers is to not support them. Leave them holding the merchandise. If this subject interests you, check out the following links. Don't buy from scalpers, and be suspect of artists singing the praises of the Live Nation / TicketMaster merger. What's in it for them?

[online.wsj.com]

[www.boston.com]

[articles.latimes.com]

[www.econtalk.org]

[seattlepi.nwsource.com]

[www.stanford.edu]

[usgovinfo.about.com]

[blogs.consumerreports.org]

[www.dailytexanonline.com]

[news.google.com]

[www.financialpost.com]

[www.wisegeek.com]

[en.wikipedia.org]

[online.wsj.com]

[online.wsj.com]

* I fully realize by playing those venues we are getting into bed with all these guys. I've learned to choose my fights and at this point in time it would be logistically too difficult to attempt to circumvent the venues / promoter / ticketing infrastructure already in place for this type of tour. For those of you about to snipe "it's your fault for playing there, etc... " - I know it is.
    Let the ocean swell, dissolve 'way my past
  • Options
    SwantonSwanton Posts: 77
    Thank you for the post. It was interesting to read the artist's point of view.
    You will try.
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    that was a great read. thanks.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,261
    Swanton wrote:
    Thank you for the post. It was interesting to read the artist's point of view.
    +1

I agree, it is interesting to hear the artist's perspective. And, yeah, I would prefer that that money go to the artist rather than to a scalper. But we already see complaints on this forum about the "official" prices for tickets to see Eddie or PJ.

I would be willing to pay some incrementally higher amount for tickets in exchange for a fair shot at all seats. An auction could get ugly, though. As much as I love PJ, I can buy a lot of albums and bootlegs for $2500. :o
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    100%

"Dirt Like Me" knows what he/she is talking about. That is exactly what happens. The only way to stop this is NOT buy from the secondary markets. Also, I wonder if the more PJ's fan base grows there will be less tickets available? If they are only allowed a certain amount of tickets for club people others will get shut out. They could fill most of the arena's with just 10 club people. It's too bad the entertainment industry can't just give in once and make exception for PJ and for the fan club so we can be happy- they'll still make $$$$ b/c PJ sells out all the time anyway. I wrote my congressman here in NY on scalping but I think his hands are tied too. :x We really have to say Fuck You I'm not supporting this and walk away.
  • Options
    TheDecline13TheDecline13 Posts: 990
    good shit..
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    The only thing harder than being an artist who chooses to not play these venues because of their secondary market ticket practices is to be the fan who chooses to miss a show rather than overpay. This subject is beaten to death all over the internet. Maybe it is exercising your right to spend your money however you see fit if you pay the inflated prices, but the artists would get the message if their fans didn't show up and the venues would change their policies if they couldn't book the acts. The system plays to our emotions and we feel disloyal if we don't come to the show, but it would take something that drastic to cut through the greed.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    P34RL J4MM3RP34RL J4MM3R Posts: 1,312
    I would like some feedback on this scenerio. I use StubHub / Ebay / Craigs list to keep track of the ticket market. I also use it to find last minute deals on tickets. I have often gone to baseball games or concerts by buying tickets the day of or the day before the event. Most times I am buying from people who are unable to attend or are looking to get rid of tickets. I always pay face or below, usually below. Is it wrong of me to help out someone who is unable to go by buying their tickets? Am I stealing from the band / Team by buying these tickets and not buying "new" tickets? Is all scalping wrong, or only scalping for over face? Thanks for your feedback.
    There's no need to say goodbye
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    thats a great article

unfortunately, scalping will never go away

its just really grown in he past 10 years due to the internet-now every tom dick and harry that has preferential access to tickets can easily resell for a profit without much effort-it has also caused a proliferation of online brokers-I truly believe this to be the heart of the problem

if there was a way (or a federal law) to stop internet resales, I think the problem would not be as bad

back when scalpers had to work the venue day of the show, it was nowhere near as bad
  • Options
    mikesbrimikesbri Toronto Posts: 851
    http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/666957

I thought this was pretty interesting
    Barrie 98, Toronto 00, Toronto 03, Buffalo 03, Toronto 05, Hamilton 05, Kitchener 05, Toronto 06 I II, Lolla 07, Vedder Toronto I II, Toronto 09, Philly Oct 30 & 31 2009, Buffalo 2010, Cleveland 2010, Toronto I II 2011, Hamilton 2011, Ottawa 2011, London 2013, Buffalo 2013, Pittsburgh 2013, FLL 2016, Miami 2016, Tor I & II 2016, Barcelona 2018, Toronto 2022, Ottawa 2022, Quebec City 2022, Hamilton 2022
  • Options
    CServantCServant DCO Posts: 1,182
    Good article, thanks for posting! Bottom line: It's always going to be a question of supply/demand.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    mikesbri wrote:

Miley Cyrus is doing this too....I bought tix to take my two girls and it was listed as "Ticketless"....you show your ID and credit card to gain entry
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    The sad thing is everyone has speculated this is the kind of thing that goes on. This is just confirmation. I remember reading an article with the Ticketmaster CEO and he was so crass about them acquiring/owning the reseller.

I only go to see Pearl Jam now. That is the only fan club I am in. There are other bigger bands I would like to see but I have not looked into how tickets work yet. It's sad you have to consider this before becoming a fan now. Pearl Jam exposed me to Kings of Leon and My Morning Jacket and I want to see them live again. But now KOL is blowing up and getting really popular and probably expensive too.

Right now Pearl Jam is the only big band I go to see. I refuse to pay money and feed into the market of scalper/resellers. You try to do your part like some mentioned above. BUT as my dad used to say...."there is an ass for every seat." That is so true and literal in this case. People will buy anything. So I doubt it will be stopped by us revolutionaries of the ticket sellers. I hope we can.

It's just people with money that are the problem like every other plagued industry in this country. The rich just buy and spend and the younger and/or less fortunate miss out on good things they can't afford. Has capitalism gone too far these days? It seems capitalism works in reality to help the rich and in theory isn't it supposed to create competition and make prices better? I guess it does not work well for concert tickets anyway.

All said I am very thankful to artists like Pearl Jam and NIN that try to help the fans despite all the bad in the industry. Thank you to all the bands that try!!!
    http://www.5against1live.com
    http://www.myspace.com/5vs1
    http://www.tributecity.com

I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The in between is mine
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    At this point I only go to shows where:

1) I am in the fan club and can get early tickets (a la 10 Club)
    2) I get a decent seat on a TicketMaster or Live Nation public on sale
    3) Tickets are 100% GA and therefore there is no mark-up based on seat location as long as it isn't sold out
    4) I get a ticket from a secondary seller (scalper) or on Ebay for less than face value on the day of the show

Never will I pay over face to a scalper.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    ValleyGalValleyGal Posts: 122
    mikesbri wrote:

Miley Cyrus is doing this too....I bought tix to take my two girls and it was listed as "Ticketless"....you show your ID and credit card to gain entry

Same for AC/DC here in Vancouver . . . those on the floor have to present their credit card and id on the day of the show to get their tickets. I don't mind standing in line if it means that people who actually wanted to see the show are getting in :D
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986
    I went through stubhub to get tix to the Aug 24 show because I missed the presale

they had sec 334 row 1 seats for $118 each which I thought was reasonable...it's misleading because once you select them they tack on $25 in fees to each ticket but I got them anyway

I was paranoid that if I waited until closer to the show I wouldn't get good seats without paying more
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Speak of the devil. I had to go look. This may give you a heart attack. WTF!!!

Get a load of this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Tickets-Pearl-Jam ... .m20.l1116

Crazy!
    http://www.5against1live.com
    http://www.myspace.com/5vs1
    http://www.tributecity.com

I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The in between is mine
  • Options
    mrs.smileymrs.smiley Posts: 422

Get a load of this....

Crazy!

I'm speechless...just speechless. I decided way back when we started our family that I would no longer pay more than face value for a show. Not be be all high & mighty but hey, just couldn't afford it/had to change priorities & lets face it, the band & the others who do bust their asses are not the ones seeing all that extra $. Of course this has meant not going to many shows & many times if I haven't been able to get 10c tix I have just not gone. I have often checked out StubHub but am always sickened by the prices & shady methods they access tix & therefore cheat the true fans out of the opportunity. But again & someone else has already said their dad said (&mine said similar too) There's an ass for every seat. There are some young/new fans who just can't afford this trend that's just picking up speed. But not only the new fans miss out but us "old" fans who just don't have the disposable income any longer! Upsetting or not thanks fo sharing info! At least w/PJ-they've tried & they do give us our Boots :mrgreen:
    '98-Camden 8/29
    '03-Philly Spectrum 4/28, Camden 7/5, Hershey 7/12
    '06-Camden 5/28
    '08-Camden 6/20
    '09-Closing Down the Philly Spectrum! 10/28, 10/30, & the Epic 10/31
    '09-EV Solo Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA6/12
    '10-MSG1& MSG2, New York City, 5-20 & 5/21
  • Options
    peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    mikesbri wrote:

interesting article
    I'm seeing Green Day in Philly next week and when I bought the ticket will call was the only option

I saw No Doubt in June and they printed your name on the ticket
  • Options
    mrs.smileymrs.smiley Posts: 422
    peacegirl wrote:
    mikesbri wrote:

interesting article
    I'm seeing Green Day in Philly next week and when I bought the ticket will call was the only option

I saw No Doubt in June and they printed your name on the ticket

great-why can't this be the norm. Fuck the online scalpers :evil: leave all the seats for the fans :mrgreen:
    '98-Camden 8/29
    '03-Philly Spectrum 4/28, Camden 7/5, Hershey 7/12
    '06-Camden 5/28
    '08-Camden 6/20
    '09-Closing Down the Philly Spectrum! 10/28, 10/30, & the Epic 10/31
    '09-EV Solo Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA6/12
    '10-MSG1& MSG2, New York City, 5-20 & 5/21
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327

Get a load of this....

Crazy!

Sorry is the fool who pays $5,000 dollars for tickets.
  • Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 295

Get a load of this....

Crazy!

Sorry is the fool who pays $5,000 dollars for tickets.

Well said! I'm all for free enterprise, but that's just ridiculous...
    09/04/93 * 07/19/98 * 11/05/00 * 05/30/03 * 09/02/05 * 09/04/05 * 09/05/05 * 09/07/05 * 07/21/06 * 07/22/06 * 04/02/08 (eV) * 04/03/08 (eV) * 09/21/09 * 09/22/09 * 09/25/09 * 07/15/11 (eV) * 09/25/11 * 12/04/13 * 08/10/18 * 05/04/24 * 05/06/24
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    great post
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

Get a load of this....

Crazy!
    fuckin people..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”