Options

I Gave Artie Lange a Pearl Jam CD Today

thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Artie Lange for those of you who don't know is a comic who is on the Howard Stern Show every morning, and in movies such as Dirty Work, Elf, and some others I can't think of. He always talks alot on the show about music as he is a big fan of The Who and Neil Young. He also said that he was a big fan of the grunge era and that Nirvana was his favorite group of the 90's. I always wanted to send in a CD of Pearl Jam with all of the various covers they do of songs he talks about so often on the air because I'm sure he wasn't aware of how often Pearl Jam plays songs he likes, and how well they play them.

So I never got around to sending him a CD because I thought that was somewhat creepy, and I never knew if it would get to him or if he would even know what it was. Anyway, today he was doing a book signing in Cleveland so I figured what the hell, I'll give it a shot. So I made the CD (songs listed below), went to the signing and waited in line for an hour and when I got up to him I said "Hey Art, I made this for you, It's Pearl Jam and they cover a ton of songs you love. Before you throw it away or leave it here, just give the list of songs a look" and his assistant and bodyguard guy interrupted me and said "Oh he isn't going to throw that away, he loves that kind of stuff" and Artie was talking to me about how great this was that I gave him it and looked at some of the songs and was like "Oh Man! Baba O'Riely?!, The Kids are Alright!" He started talking to me about John Fogerty's concert for 9/11 so I think he might have been confused as to who all the songs were by even though I told him several times it was Pearl Jam and his assistant told me how great Pearl Jam are. He is a druggie though so who knows. Anyway, hopefull he likes it and mentions it on the air next time they talk about music

Little Wing
Baba O'Reily
Won't Back Down
The Kids Are Alright
Rocking in the Free World
Throw Your Hatred Down
All Along the Watchtower
Harvest Moon
Blue, Red and Grey
Fuckin Up
Hide Your Love Away
Forever Young
Masters of War
Waiting on a Friend
Fortunate Son
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    a Love Reign oer me would have been a sweet edition.

Normally, howard seems like kind of a hater of Pearl Jam. not outright, but he kind of put them down.

However, i have noticed when he has attended/watched performances, Howard always singles them out for kicking ass. A few times they open segments with a cover like Baba Oreilly and Howard asks who that is, and when he learns it is Pearl Jam he compliments the cover. I think he is realizing the awesomeness of PJ. Maybe they will be on to perform someday. I cant see Eddie captive there and taking any and all questions from Howard though.

As far as Artie goes. I lost the little respect I had for him for the Joe Buck thing.
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    Did anyone else see him on Joe Buck's new show on HBO the other day? That was some crazy awkward shit...he totally hijacked the show...
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    Oops you beat me to it...
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    yeah the real me from vh1 honors would have been a good addition but that's a solid list...now jd has to add it to artie's ipod :lol:

howard knows shit all about music...his favorite sirius station is the pulse...however, whenever fred plays pj and howard asks him who it is he always says he likes them

as for the joe buck appearance, don't ask a shark to swim with you if you don't weant to be eaten ;):D
  • Options
    NoelMichaelNoelMichael Posts: 1,630
    Regarding the 9/11 thing, he may have been referring to the Tribute to Heroes 9/11 special. Ed and Uncle Neil jammed together for the most beautiful, heart-breaking version of Long Road ever
    9-28-96 Randall’s Island NY; 9-01-00 Camden NJ; 7-05-03 Camden NJ; 10-01-04 Reading PA; 10-03-05 Philly PA; 5-27-06 Camden NJ; 5-28-06 Camden NJ; 6-19-08 Camden NJ; 6-20-08 Camden NJ; 6-24-08 NYC NY; 8-7-08 EV Newark, NJ; 6-11-09 EV Philly PA; 6-12-09 EV Philly PA; 10-27-09 Philly PA; 10-28-09 Philly PA; 10-30-09 Philly PA; 10-31-09 Philly PA; 5-15-10 Hartford CT; 5-18-10 Newark NJ; 5-21-10 NYC NY; 6-21-11 EV NYC NY; 6-22-11 EV NYC NY; 6-25-11 EV Philly PA; 7-1-11 EV StL MS; 9-3-11 E Troy WI; 9-4-11 E Troy WI
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I thought Howard Stern Liked PJ?

I was listening to his station a month or so ago and he was playing eddies cover of youve got to hide your love away and Stern was singing along to it and briefly mentioned how he liked Eddie Vedder.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Regarding the 9/11 thing, he may have been referring to the Tribute to Heroes 9/11 special. Ed and Uncle Neil jammed together for the most beautiful, heart-breaking version of Long Road ever
    The most beautiful, heart-breaking version of long road ever was the one from Dead Man Walking with nusrat fateh ali khan.
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    MayDay10 wrote:
    As far as Artie goes. I lost the little respect I had for him for the Joe Buck thing.

Artie's humor is crude and not very funny, IMO.

But I hate Joe Buck, so :lol:

I keep waiting for the day that Troy Aikman beats him to death in the booth. :evil:
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    Did anyone else see him on Joe Buck's new show on HBO the other day? That was some crazy awkward shit...he totally hijacked the show...

Almost like you just hijacked this thread :p lol
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,017
    he was also on an episode of Entourage- season 4 or 5?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    SteveoSteveo Posts: 352
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Little Wing
    Baba O'Reily
    Won't Back Down
    The Kids Are Alright
    Throw Your Hatred Down
    All Along the Watchtower
    Harvest Moon
    Blue, Red and Grey
    Fuckin Up
    Hide Your Love Away
    Forever Young
    Masters of War
    Waiting on a Friend
    Fortunate Son

Thats a nice compilation..
    Life has nothing to do with killing time.
    So why be satisfied?
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Steveo wrote:
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Little Wing
    Baba O'Reily
    Won't Back Down
    The Kids Are Alright
    Throw Your Hatred Down
    All Along the Watchtower
    Harvest Moon
    Blue, Red and Grey
    Fuckin Up
    Hide Your Love Away
    Forever Young
    Masters of War
    Waiting on a Friend
    Fortunate Son

+1
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:

yeah...some of it was funny, but he definitely went over the line and acted like a real douche.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    I thought Howard Stern Liked PJ?

I was listening to his station a month or so ago and he was playing eddies cover of youve got to hide your love away and Stern was singing along to it and briefly mentioned how he liked Eddie Vedder.

He does. He always says that Glorified G is one of his favorite songs. I don't think that any of them dislike Pearl Jam, I just thought that Artie would like to know how well they play some of his favorite bands' tunes.
  • Options
    pjheasds8pjheasds8 Posts: 91
    fred played Given to Fly the other day, and when coming back from break Howard inquired who it was, said "Sweet, though i didn't get to hear to whole thing." Robin piped in that PJ is excellent.

as far as people not thinking that gang likes PJ...I think Howard holds a grudge from a few years ago, PJ did an interview at KROQ and he felt snubbed that they didn't do his show. it's been a while but I remember howard was pissed. i found it humorous as there is no way PJ would do his show, but they always surprise us.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Steveo wrote:
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Little Wing
    Baba O'Reily
    Won't Back Down
    The Kids Are Alright
    Throw Your Hatred Down
    All Along the Watchtower
    Harvest Moon
    Blue, Red and Grey
    Fuckin Up
    Hide Your Love Away
    Forever Young
    Masters of War
    Waiting on a Friend
    Fortunate Son

nice avatar <3 the sabres
  • Options
    it seemed that Howard did hold a grudge of some sort. He wouldnt really give them props. One time a few years go he talked about PJ and said something negative and was flooded by fans of the band. The next day he read some letters and put down the fans, and how they used the initials "P-J".

But recently, over the past 1 1/2 years I would say, they seem to get played between segments more and more, and Howard mentions seeing them on TV or at events more and more and always speaks very positively. The band seems to be directly up Howard's alley as far as musical tastes.
  • Options
    sabres
  • Options
    Well, I remember back before Binaural came out, Robin said something about tthe forthcoming album and Stern was like "Pearl Jam? They're still around? Why would anyone listen to Pearl Jam in this day and age?" and Fred explained to him that they just sold out two nights at MSG and Stern was like "really?" :lol: I don't think he's much of a music expert. Has Eddie ever been on the Stern show? I think Howard might have a bug up his ass about that.
  • Options
    FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    So cool. I'm 90% done with Too Fat To Fish (his autobiography) - hilarious shit, and a really great look inside the background and mind of one of the most biting, consistently kick ass comedians out there.
  • Options
    pjheasds8 wrote:
    fred played Given to Fly the other day, and when coming back from break Howard inquired who it was, said "Sweet, though i didn't get to hear to whole thing." Robin piped in that PJ is excellent.

as far as people not thinking that gang likes PJ...I think Howard holds a grudge from a few years ago, PJ did an interview at KROQ and he felt snubbed that they didn't do his show. it's been a while but I remember howard was pissed. i found it humorous as there is no way PJ would do his show, but they always surprise us.

Also, back in 2005 I believe I remember that they had Pearl Jam booked on the show as Stone and Mike, and Howard said something like "Why won't Eddie come on the show, what's his problem? Why would I want to talk to Pearl Jam without Eddie Vedder?" He said something along those lines, and whenever he discusses Eddie he always mentions how he and Eddie probably wouldn't get along because he thinks Eddie is too serious (which may or may not be true). But from all of his talk of Ed, I don't think the two have met until this past April at that concert thing for TM. I don't think Howard dislikes Eddie, I just think the 2 have never met and Howard assumes Ed wouldn't like him.

Also, I get the feeling Fred is a big Pearl Jam fan because does play them alot. He even played Brother a couple months ago and Howard asked what it was, Fred said "This is the new Pearl Jam, number 1 on the charts right now, and before all the fans start writing me, Its an old song they did back around the Ten era they have just released for the reissue of Ten." and Howard was like "I really like it"
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,314
    Steveo wrote:
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Little Wing
    Baba O'Reily
    Won't Back Down
    The Kids Are Alright
    Throw Your Hatred Down
    All Along the Watchtower
    Harvest Moon
    Blue, Red and Grey
    Fuckin Up
    Hide Your Love Away
    Forever Young
    Masters of War
    Waiting on a Friend
    Fortunate Son

+1
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,758
    norm wrote:
    as for the joe buck appearance, don't ask a shark to swim with you if you don't weant to be eaten ;):D

Exactly. It still shocks me people are ripping Artie for that appearance. I dunno what people were expecting when you put a guy like that on live TV on HBO where he can say whatever he wants. I cant stand Joe Buck, so I thoroughly enjoyed the segment.
  • Options
    hitmanhitman Posts: 469
    The most beautiful, heart-breaking version of long road ever was the one from Dead Man Walking with nusrat fateh ali khan.

very very very true... this version kicks ass..... i am forever indebted to eddie for introducing nusrat fateh ali khan into my world.... i have bought about a dozen nusrat recordings over the years and they are all amazing.
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    Howard gave some props to Eddie for doing the David Lynch/TM concert.

PJ is all over Howard 100 and 101 in their bumpers. In fact, Breath might be a part of every "Intern Show" but I could be wrong there.

As for Artie, if he gives it a listen, I'm betting he'll like the cd. Or, he could do coke off of it.
  • Options
    Jim TresselJim Tressel Posts: 132
    I was at that signing as well....

Anyway, I think that handler might be Helicopter Mike? The guy they talk about on the air that keeps Artie on the straight and narrow.
  • Options
    pjscreamerpjscreamer Posts: 593
    knowcode10 wrote:
    Howard gave some props to Eddie for doing the David Lynch/TM concert.

PJ is all over Howard 100 and 101 in their bumpers. In fact, Breath might be a part of every "Intern Show" but I could be wrong there.

As for Artie, if he gives it a listen, I'm betting he'll like the cd. Or, he could do coke off of it.
    Or maybe offer it to Sal or Richard to sell on Tradioooooooooooooooo.
    Let's Go Yanks!
    96)Randalls Island I,II
    98)NJ,MSG I,II
    00) Virginia Beach Jones Beach I,II,III Saratoga Springs Seattle I
    03)Nassau Camden I MSG I,II NJ
    04)Boston I,II Reading
    05)Montreal Ottawa Toronto Borgata I,II Philly
    06) Irving plaza Albany Hartford Camden I,II NJ I,II LA I,II Gorge I,II
    07)Lolla
    08)Roo Camden I,II MSG I,II Hartford Beacon
    09)Chicago I,II Philly II,III,IV
    10)Hartford Newark MSG I,II
    11)PJ20 I,II
    13)Wrigley Brooklyn I,II Hartford
    14)Moline,milwaukee
    15)Central Park
    16)MSG I,II
    17)Wrigley I,II
    18)Wrigley I,II
    22)MSG,Camden
  • Options
    Beachman44Beachman44 Swedesboro, NJ Posts: 170
    Shame you couldn't put any EV shows on there.
    He is a HUGE Bruce fan, and I think he would LOVE some of Eds cover of him.
    9/29/1996, 8/28/1998, 8/29/1998, 9/8/1998, 8/25/2000, 9/1/2000, 9/2/2000, 4/28/2003, 5/03/2003, 7/5/2003, 7/6/2003, 10/01/2004, 9/19/2005, 10/1/2005, 10/3/2005, 5/27/2006, 5/28/2006, 5/30/2006, 6/26/2006, 4/15/2008. 6/19/2008, 6/20/2008, 6/22/2008, 8/16/2008, 10/28/2009, 10/30/2009, 10/31/2009, 5/13/2010, 9/3/2011, 9/4/2011, 9/2/2012, 10/21/2013, 10/22/2013, 10/27/2013, 4/8/2016, 4/9/2016, 4/11/2016, 4/13/2016, 4/28/2016, 4/29/2016, 9/2/2018, 9/18/2021, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    Ute LewUte Lew West Point, UT Posts: 129
    Very cool, I think Artie is funny as hell, I hope he mentions you on the air!
    • SLC   11/1/95 
    • SLC   11/2/95
    • PC   06/21/98 
    • LV    07/11/98
    • LV    10/22/00
    • MV   10/20/01
    • MV   10/21/01
    • MV   06/01/03
    • IR     06/02/03
    • IR     06/03/03
    • SD   06/05/03
    • LV    06/06/03
    • DN   07/02/06
    • DN   07/03/06
    • LV    07/06/06
    • SD   07/07/06
    • LA    07/09/06
    • LA    07/10/06
    • SLC  09/28/09
    • LA    10/07/09
    • SD    10/09/09
    • BOS 08/07/16
    • MON 08/13/18
    • PHX  05/09/22
    • LV     05/20/22 (Canceled: Fuck you Covid)
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,314
    Fuckin Up
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”