Options

perhaps a risky question..........

edited June 2009 in The Porch
Was just thinking about this....which was the better band in1993/1994

Pearl Jam ????????????????

or

Nirvana ??????????????

An interesting thought, I think, since Ed has been quoted (rather vehemently) as saying that Nirvana was far superior to Pearl Jam.......and would "always be" a better band than Pearl Jam was......

What do you all think?
"No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    nirvana was(is?) more popular, but i think pj was/is better in my personal opinion, i love nirvana tho, its hard to compare bands and their art cuz its so different and what does better even mean
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    at the time, yes Nirvana was more popular, but today, Pearl Jam is #1...sorry we never got to see or hear what Kurdt would have become...a real fucking drag :cry:
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,522
    I don't know if Nirvana was more popular. I believe ten outsold nevermind. ??

Nirvana will always get the credit for changing music though.

PJ is the better band....musically. but music is subjective. to me its PJ hands down. I do like Nirvana though

Eddie was also being nice. Kissing Kurt's ass a bit.
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:

PJ is the better band....musically. but music is subjective. to me its PJ hands down. I do like Nirvana though

I agree with all of that, but I think Nevermind may have outsold TEN
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/listenup/2007/03/sales_questions_1.html

Also according to Wiki. Ten is 13x platinum worldwide. Nevermind 10x.....
  • Options
    Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Pearl Jam .. Even though i like Nirvana Kurt was to busy whining about guns and roses and pearl jam so fuck em '

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    jokertt14 wrote:
    Pearl Jam .. Even though i like Nirvana Kurt was to busy whining about guns and roses and pearl jam so fuck em '

Ha. Had to read that twice. I didn't remember him whining about Roses... who would hate roses?
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:

http://blogs.usatoday.com/listenup/2007/03/sales_questions_1.html

Also according to Wiki. Ten is 13x platinum worldwide. Nevermind 10x.....

Well, there you have it then.......but didn't Jagged Little Pill sell more? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    The album had a slow rise up the charts, but four million copies were shipped in the U.S. during 1995, and in 1996 it became the best-selling album of the year, with ten million shipments. On July 29, 1998, the RIAA certified it 16× platinum.

Surely she is better than both PJ and Nirvana...because she sold more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Options
    jokertt14 wrote:

I would say he was busier with needles and a crazy wife, truth be told............ :oops:
  • Options

Well, there you have it then.......but didn't Jagged Little Pill sell more? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

and Britney and new kids and Jonas Brothers.

doesnt mean a thing about good music.

Just that actually PJ may have been more popular, while it seemed Nirvana got all the pub.
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:

Just that actually PJ may have been more popular, while it seemed Nirvana got all the pub.

Kinda my point.........sarcasm, my friend

Nirvana definately broke the scene, but who really got the shaft????

M
    U
    D
    H
    O
    N
    E
    Y
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:

Kinda my point.........sarcasm, my friend

Nirvana definately broke the scene, but who really got the shaft????

M
    U
    D
    H
    O
    N
    E
    Y

oh i understood. Just continuing....
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    jokertt14 wrote:

Ha. Had to read that twice. I didn't remember him whining about Roses... who would hate roses?

Kurt Cobain and Axle Rose got into it back at the VMA's when Guns were dieing out and Nirvan was starting to shine .. and to hear him cry like a baby about pearl jam thats on youtube
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    jokertt14 wrote:

right from the Wikipedia page on Nirvana

"As Cobain trashed their equipment, Grohl ran to the mic and began yelling "Hi, Axl!" repeatedly, referring to Guns N' Roses singer Axl Rose, with whom the band and Courtney had had a bizarre encounter before the show."

and the youtube video about pearl jam : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qZ_5kutgfY
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    to be honest, i was never a huge Nirvana fan. i was a casual fan & really loved Bleach---my older brother heard of Nirvana before I did & played Bleach for me. I thought it was great.....but Nevermind...meh.

I liked a few songs from that record (Nevermind), but I instantly felt a connection to PJ's music from the get-go.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    lukinvedderlukinvedder Posts: 203
    Smellyman wrote:
    jokertt14 wrote:

ha! so true about them dogging pearl jam, in answer to who hates guns and roses.....I DO!!! nirvana probably had the bigger following-but pearl jam hands down OFCOURSE.
    Christchurch, New Zealand 2009

• Options
    jecicajecica Posts: 954
    in answer to who hates guns and roses.....I DO!!! nirvana probably had the bigger following-but pearl jam hands down OFCOURSE.

+100

I always think of who the media would portray as the grunge starter if Kurt didn't kill himself? My vote is fr PJ..
    Appreciation is a wonderful thing: It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well.... (Voltaire)
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    I liked a few songs from that record (Nevermind), but I instantly felt a connection to PJ's music from the get-go.[/quote]

+1
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Nirvana's last record was not as well received as Pearl Jam's. No one remembers this because of the tragedy that happened and changed everything, but In Utero wasn't that well received as Vitalogy. Plus, there were talks that Kurt was going off by himself anyways. It's impossible to really think what would have happened had Kurt not died.

I personally will always like Pearl Jam better. To even compare the bands is a bit stupid. Just because they're from the same city at the same time doesn't mean they are anything alike.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,314
    :lol::lol::lol::lol: ..risky question?
    just an answer with no risk,,
    PEARL JAM.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    I think in 93, Nirvana had a better catalog of music, but as of 1998, it was Pearl Jam easily, and as of TODAY, Pearl Jam has lapped every band from the last 30 years, and many more.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I can't stand Nirvana

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    smithnic wrote:
    Nirvana's last record was not as well received as Pearl Jam's. No one remembers this because of the tragedy that happened and changed everything, but In Utero wasn't that well received as Vitalogy. Plus, there were talks that Kurt was going off by himself anyways. It's impossible to really think what would have happened had Kurt not died.

I personally will always like Pearl Jam better. To even compare the bands is a bit stupid. Just because they're from the same city at the same time doesn't mean they are anything alike.

i concur, but it's only natural...like the Beatles and Stones getting compared to each other all the time...and for similar reasons as the PJ, Nirvana comparison.....also, Kurt made In Utero the way it was intentionally, in order to lessen his bands' popularity...it has been very well established that album sales (and reception) do not equal quality....but that kinda goes without saying......In Utero, in my opinion was Nirvana's second best album, the first being Incesticide...
  • Options
    I think in 93, Nirvana had a better catalog of music, but as of 1998, it was Pearl Jam easily, and as of TODAY, Pearl Jam has lapped every band from the last 30 years, and many more.

+1