Remember the Vic?

ramblinponyramblinpony Posts: 115
edited June 2009 in The Porch
That was so badass. Discuss....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,322
    Unfortunately I was sluggish from being out in the sun (with beer ... :oops:) at the Cubs game all day, but I still recall that show very fondly.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,016
    the what???? :mrgreen:
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    yeah, iwasthere
    tacos
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,219
    Um of course I do! Second row standing after driving for 8+ hours with a Lolla crew! Best Pearl Jam show I've been to!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    boy do i ever...

best weekend of my life
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,072
    i remember seeing, i mean, hearing about it. that you guy's blinded ed to oblivion.
    might be the whole reason why he doesn't want photo's or audio tape recorders at his solo show's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-xEwk2jQgk
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Man when that sun came over the front of the building it sure got hot in that line.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,873
    Yep- best show for me as far as whole experience. Finally got my song too

on the blinding thing... really annoying as a fan too, but what do you expect (Ed) with digital cameras everywhere nowadays. Unless you ban them or have concerts in fully lit places there will be hundreds of flashes. Suck it up, comes with the territory. Want us to stop singing and watching too because all of us looking at you freaks you out?

I do agree though that once he asks to cut it out, to respect his wishes and just stop.
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Yeah, I remember trying for tickets and not getting them :p
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    on the blinding thing... really annoying as a fan too, but what do you expect (Ed) with digital cameras everywhere nowadays. Unless you ban them or have concerts in fully lit places there will be hundreds of flashes. Suck it up, comes with the territory. Want us to stop singing and watching too because all of us looking at you freaks you out?
    or maybe people should read up on how to effectively use a camera flash... the max range is like 10-15 feet... unless you want the back of people heads bright and in focus theres no reason to use it at a concert... hell theres no reason to be taking pictures regardless... just enjoy the moment

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    sgossard3 wrote:
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    or maybe people should read up on how to effectively use a camera flash... the max range is like 10-15 feet... unless you want the back of people heads bright and in focus theres no reason to use it at a concert... hell theres no reason to be taking pictures regardless... just enjoy the moment
    People just need to do more non-flash experimenting in regards to taking pictures. My dad used to be a photographer, and now owns some photography stores across Canada, so I've been thoroughly taught (yelled at) how to, and how not to, get good shots at shows. No flash, and obviously it varies from show to show, but you want opposite settings for ISO and shutter speed. High ISO, you need a slower shutter speed. Low ISO, you need a fast shutter speed. I personally start with high ISO and slower (still fast) shutter speed, and then if I can't keep my hands steady enough, I'll progress lower in terms of ISO, and faster in terms of shutter speed, until I get a shot I'm happy with the quality of. It's a LOT of fun, especially if you get good seats, to take photographs. I was second row at Radiohead last summer, and got some spectacular shots (PM me if you want a link). Hope this helps some people, and that I got the terminology right :lol: .
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    sgossard3 wrote:
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    People just need to do more non-flash experimenting in regards to taking pictures. My dad used to be a photographer, and now owns some photography stores across Canada, so I've been thoroughly taught (yelled at) how to, and how not to, get good shots at shows. No flash, and obviously it varies from show to show, but you want opposite settings for ISO and shutter speed. High ISO, you need a slower shutter speed. Low ISO, you need a fast shutter speed. I personally start with high ISO and slower (still fast) shutter speed, and then if I can't keep my hands steady enough, I'll progress lower in terms of ISO, and faster in terms of shutter speed, until I get a shot I'm happy with the quality of. It's a LOT of fun, especially if you get good seats, to take photographs. I was second row at Radiohead last summer, and got some spectacular shots (PM me if you want a link). Hope this helps some people, and that I got the terminology right :lol: .
    great advice! the problem is that 90% of people just have their simple point and shoots and dont wanna take the effort to take good shots

• Options
    firecrotch23firecrotch23 Posts: 586
    funny you mention it as i have been listening to the show on and off all day today. best version of in hiding i have ever heard
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,942
    sgossard3 wrote:
    benjs wrote:
    sgossard3 wrote:
    [qute="hrd2imgn"]on the blinding thing... really annoying as a fan too, but what do you expect (Ed) with digital cameras everywhere nowadays. Unless you ban them or have concerts in fully lit places there will be hundreds of flashes. Suck it up, comes with the territory. Want us to stop singing and watching too because all of us looking at you freaks you out?[/qute]
    great advice! the problem is that 90% of people just have their simple point and shoots and dont wanna take the effort to take good shots
    I know, but it's such a shame... I wish venues would stop being so anti-photography, rather post the information that I wrote there in public places within the venue, so as to discourage flash users. Also, most people don't realize this, but simple point and shoots are surprisingly powerful these days... There's even a firmware hack for all Canon point and shoots which allows one to shoot in Aperture Priority mode, or Shutter Speed Priority mode, as well as shooting in RAW, and manually being able to adjust settings such as shutter speed, aperture, ISO - all features formerly exclusive to the world of dSLRs. Someone without much knowledge of photography would be absolutely blown away by how much of a difference these settings can make. I shoot with a Canon G10 - for anyone who frequents the front couple of rows at concerts - I would highly recommend it. It's not cheap, but it's completely worth it.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    You know what I remember most? I remember standing in there and looking up into the side balconies and seeing all the special guests (wives, girlfriends, kids, parents, friends, etc.) and thinking "This might be it. This might be when they finally call it quits so enjoy every minute of it." And I did and I am glad I was wrong.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,600
    Flagg wrote:
    You know what I remember most? I remember standing in there and looking up into the side balconies and seeing all the special guests (wives, girlfriends, kids, parents, friends, etc.) and thinking "This might be it. This might be when they finally call it quits so enjoy every minute of it." And I did and I am glad I was wrong.

oh, you drama queen,...

:roll: ;)

as for the show itself, will never forget it,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    funny you mention it as i have been listening to the show on and off all day today. best version of in hiding i have ever heard

That it was. Though I still think the Lolla performance was better overall. It was fun hearing all those rare tunes, but it also kinda drove home the point that there's a reason many of them aren't played live very often and other songs continue to be staples of the live set 20 years later. Also, All or None needs to open more shows.
  • Options
    phillyfanphillyfan Posts: 831
    ahhh yes good times
    If you hate something dont you do it too
    world fucking champs!!!
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    how could i forget?

Hard to Imagine being heard the first time live...great moment
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    benjs wrote:
    I know, but it's such a shame... I wish venues would stop being so anti-photography, rather post the information that I wrote there in public places within the venue, so as to discourage flash users. Also, most people don't realize this, but simple point and shoots are surprisingly powerful these days... There's even a firmware hack for all Canon point and shoots which allows one to shoot in Aperture Priority mode, or Shutter Speed Priority mode, as well as shooting in RAW, and manually being able to adjust settings such as shutter speed, aperture, ISO - all features formerly exclusive to the world of dSLRs. Someone without much knowledge of photography would be absolutely blown away by how much of a difference these settings can make. I shoot with a Canon G10 - for anyone who frequents the front couple of rows at concerts - I would highly recommend it. It's not cheap, but it's completely worth it.
    i shoot with a 1942 tula mosin nagant rifle! ....oh wait....
  • Options
    Local CrewLocal Crew Posts: 745
    i gave my extra ticket to a lucky dude. we drank a bottle of rum in line before the show! i dont remeber your name dude, if you remember this pm me!!!

the show was great for dancing around. i dont think i stood in one place for more then 2 songs. from the front row to the back.

that bouncer or what ever he was doing was a dipshit. the guy wearing the red pepper shirt.

great start to the weekend!!!
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    BMoore09BMoore09 Posts: 177
    I can remember getting there at 9am and being drained by the sun by the time the show started. Great and best show ive ever been to though!
    West Palm Beach I, WPB II, Tampa, New Orleans, Memphis, Nashville 2000
    West Palm Beach 2003
    Tampa 2003
    The VIC - Chicago 2007
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Tampa 2008
    Ed Solo 2008 NYC
    Philly 10/30/2009
    Columbus 2010
  • Options
    Why did people stand in line? I showed up 15mins to showtime and was right up front, one person away from the stage. 8-)

Do you all remember little Olivia waving with the headphones on? SOOO CUTE!!!

Can't believe its almost been 2 years...
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,321
    I'll never ever forget that show, it was the start of the best weekend of my life. I flew over from Sydney via LAX on the Wednesday, slept most of Thursday jetlagged as fuck, then got a cab to the Vic without a ticket hoping to get lucky...

I started talking to a guy from South Africa called Joost, listening to the start of the show coming through the walls and picking out the songs. He had two tickets but the guy he was with hadn't turned up yet. As soon "Sad" came on he turned to me, said "Fuck this, man" and gave me his friend's ticket! We got in there at the end of "Education" and all it cost me was a We Come In Peace tshirt and a couple of beers!

You can judge me all you want but I didn't feel remotely bad for his friend, although I would have kicked seven shades of shit out him if it had been me. If you're on here Joost, shoot me a PM - it would be good to know how you're doing.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush wrote:
    I'll never ever forget that show, it was the start of the best weekend of my life. I flew over from Sydney via LAX on the Wednesday, slept most of Thursday jetlagged as fuck, then got a cab to the Vic without a ticket hoping to get lucky...

I started talking to a guy from South Africa called Joost, listening to the start of the show coming through the walls and picking out the songs. He had two tickets but the guy he was with hadn't turned up yet. As soon "Sad" came on he turned to me, said "Fuck this, man" and gave me his friend's ticket! We got in there at the end of "Education" and all it cost me was a We Come In Peace tshirt and a couple of beers!

You can judge me all you want but I didn't feel remotely bad for his friend, although I would have kicked seven shades of shit out him if it had been me. If you're on here Joost, shoot me a PM - it would be good to know how you're doing.

I don't feel bad for his friend either! I'm surprised Joost waited that long - one note through the wall would have sent me rushing inside!!!