Options

My Pearl Jam Story..

13»

Comments

• Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    Great stories, one of the best theads read for a long time.

My story is a pretty odd one. I used to work for a radio station in Sheffield called Hallam FM (and if you have ever listened to them, not a cord of Pearl Jam I wager has ever been played) as a sports reporter. I started covering the Sheffield Steelers hockey team in the 98/99 season and they always played the same rock songs before the game, many of which I didn't really know but I liked, one especially.

To get interviews for them, I used a MiniDisk (remember them?!) from the station. Eventually I bought my own and a microphone to go with it, but I also wanted to have some music to go with it. While I was in Virgin Megastore (remember them?!) looking through the MDs available, and apart from Robbie Williams, Pet Shop Boys and Kenny G, I spotted Yield. I heard that Pearl Jam were a rock band but I didn't really know much about them. I played it and Brain of J blew me away, as did the rest of the album. I did a bit of research and found out that Ten was apperently their best album.

I went out and bought Ten straight away, hoping it was similar to Yield. Loved it, and when the song I liked from the hockey games come on, which was Evenflow, I realised I had hit gold. I quickly bought the rest of the albums available in about a week and have been a fan ever since. Alas none of my mates are but who cares!?
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    Plus I am 29 now so I guess I am in my PJ listening prime!
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    So last night I saw Eddie Vedder in the Ryman, it was kind of a big deal. (And It's all apart of my Pearl Jam story, thus it's here ;) )

Let's just say I went into the concert with the mentality of having a "life changing" experience, and I wasn't disappointed in the least.

The original plan was for my mom to take me to the Ryman, and then she was going to spend the night on "Honky Tonk" row and watch the bands at all the local bars. When we arrived at the Ryman I was struck by it's beauty, and decided to buy my mom a ticket. I figured she'd really enjoy it (I was right :) ). I bought her ticket at 2:00, and she got first row balcony, center stage, seat A. Her seat was actually a little better than mine, but I decided to let her keep it. I'll enjoy seeing Vedder anywhere.

When I was at a club next to the Ryman listening to some local band a fan showed me a picture they took of Vedder. Earlier in the day my mom suggested that maybe we should sit out and wait for him, I told her "If you knew Ed like I knew, you'd understand he gets enough of that. Lets give him his space." (Take my hand not my picture) Anyway when I actually saw the picture of him getting off the bus I was speechless already. It was all beginning to set in.

I ran into a lot of people that I knew. It was the first time I've ever actually shared any of my Pearl Jam stories in person. It was really cool having people from "the pit" recognize me just based off my picture. Anyway I loved actually being able to talk about Pearl Jam, and I did it with everyone I got the chance to. I wish I wasn't terrible with names, because I met a lady in line waiting to get in who was amazing. She told me about how incredible it was to see Breath live, I really enjoyed hearing all of her stories (If you're reading this, send me a PM)

I was probably around the first 20 in, so I got my merch quick. :) I bought a white Eddie Vedder t-shirt and a wallet! I went back to my seat, and found out that my shirt was to big. So I went back in line to exchange it and the line was crazy long. Anyway I started chatting with this dude named Chris from Nashville. We must have talked about no code for 10 mins. :) He told me that I was lucky to be here. He then said that he had a bunch of old (90's) ten club singles to sell, and instead of selling them he was going to mail them to me! He told me that he would rather give them to someone who would really appreciate them then sell them.

When I got back to the stage and sat in my seat Liam Finn started playing. What people don't understand is that Liam Finn is absolutely amazing. That guy is talented. It really pissed me off to see someone play with as much passion as he did, and have to listen to a bunch of people chat through his entire set. It takes balls to do what he's doing, show him the respect he deserves.

There was an empty seat by me. During Eddie's first few songs a guy named Thomas tried to stand in the Isle, I scooted over so we could cram in for a little while. I sat on the edge of my seat so the two people next to me had plenty of room. I felt greatful for my seat, and wanted to share the experience with someone else. So for the first 3 or 4 songs, I sat by Thomas. I'll probably never see him again, but I felt good knowing that I probably made his day by sharing my seat with him.

The guy sitting next to me was David (DpPhoto from the board) he was a damn cool guy. He told me that tonight was going to be a special night because it was in the Ryman, he was right.

Seeing Eddie on stage alone was breath taking. I don't think he personally knows how much he's impacted my life. His ideologies and his beliefs, the way he carries himself, and the humility he has is truly not worthy. And it is also evident in his playing. When I saw him walk on stage I jumped all over Dave. I felt bad for the guy (He plays hockey, he could whip my ass) but what can you expect? That was my first time ever seeing Ed in person. At that moment I looked at Dave and said "Forgive me, I have a terrible voice and I am going to sing my heart out tonight." He looked at me calmly and said something along the lines of "Go for it!"

I sang sometimes :) I was so glad to hear Thumbing my way after you. Seeing along with Eddie is pretty rad (to say the least) I love how the lights came on when he wanted the crowd to sing. Singing Gone was a blast to. That's probably my favorite off of their self titled record, so I felt really lucky to hear it. :)

I loved all the covers. I loved singing and dancing during Porch and small town. I sang porch as loud as I possibly could, then afterwards I quickly apologized to everyone around me. They all laughed and told me to "rock on." I think they knew I felt like a kid in a candy store.

I GOT TO HEAR BELIEVE YOU ME. Enough said.

Then Eddie (honestly the only song I wanted to hear that night) played, Wishlist. Being the huge Yield fan that I am, this was probably one of the most happiest moments of my entire life to date. Singing Wishlist with Eddie is something special.

Arc? Good God. His vocals are stunning. Anyone who thinks Eddie's vocals have gotten worse with time need to hear him sing Arc. It is stunning.

Hard Sun. :) I sang and danced in the isle. The old lady at the Ryman yelled at me, so I did what any sensible, respectful young man would do, and I kept dancing. :)

It was breath taking. I love everything about Eddie. Everyone told me that seeing Eddie live would make my obsession (because that's really what it is for all of us) and I didn't believe them. When I left they had all proved me wrong.

It was the best concert of my entire life. I loved meeting the people, and I loved hearing the songs I have had on repeat for years and years. The Pearl Jam community truly is a great one.
  • Options
    quelquefoisquelquefois Posts: 208
    i love this thread, it makes me feel all giddy like when i first got into the band... so thank you, sleep.with.innocence for posting your stories. don't think about those 15 years of shows you missed... think about the next 15 years worth of amazing experiences, once in a lifetime shows, and your many many many new 10c friends.
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    W-o-W, great story! and well written too. I'm so glad you experienced such a wonderful event. So nice that you took your Mom too.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Ed live. But I know now, from your story, that the emotional catharsis I go thru everytime I've seen the band play will exist when I finally hear Ed alone too. I also know that everyone on this board who is familiar with this thread is really pleased for you - and the fact that you got to meet so many of us, just from having your picture posted along with your thread, is really awesome.

Congrats - I am WAAAAAYYYYYY happy for you, and your Mom, and the entire experience!
    :mrgreen:
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    Good fan view! I like the way you write.

I know, isn’t cool the new pit lets us post pics of ourselves?!
    All you people that don’t have a pic of yourselves up…….you are a pussy! Hehehehe. But yeah a part of the fun is meeting people you chat with on here.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    So last night I saw Eddie Vedder in the Ryman, it was kind of a big deal. (And It's all apart of my Pearl Jam story, thus it's here ;) )

Let's just say I went into the concert with the mentality of having a "life changing" experience, and I wasn't disappointed in the least.

The original plan was for my mom to take me to the Ryman, and then she was going to spend the night on "Honky Tonk" row and watch the bands at all the local bars. When we arrived at the Ryman I was struck by it's beauty, and decided to buy my mom a ticket. I figured she'd really enjoy it (I was right :) ). I bought her ticket at 2:00, and she got first row balcony, center stage, seat A. Her seat was actually a little better than mine, but I decided to let her keep it. I'll enjoy seeing Vedder anywhere.

When I was at a club next to the Ryman listening to some local band a fan showed me a picture they took of Vedder. Earlier in the day my mom suggested that maybe we should sit out and wait for him, I told her "If you knew Ed like I knew, you'd understand he gets enough of that. Lets give him his space." (Take my hand not my picture) Anyway when I actually saw the picture of him getting off the bus I was speechless already. It was all beginning to set in.

I ran into a lot of people that I knew. It was the first time I've ever actually shared any of my Pearl Jam stories in person. It was really cool having people from "the pit" recognize me just based off my picture. Anyway I loved actually being able to talk about Pearl Jam, and I did it with everyone I got the chance to. I wish I wasn't terrible with names, because I met a lady in line waiting to get in who was amazing. She told me about how incredible it was to see Breath live, I really enjoyed hearing all of her stories (If you're reading this, send me a PM)

I was probably around the first 20 in, so I got my merch quick. :) I bought a white Eddie Vedder t-shirt and a wallet! I went back to my seat, and found out that my shirt was to big. So I went back in line to exchange it and the line was crazy long. Anyway I started chatting with this dude named Chris from Nashville. We must have talked about no code for 10 mins. :) He told me that I was lucky to be here. He then said that he had a bunch of old (90's) ten club singles to sell, and instead of selling them he was going to mail them to me! He told me that he would rather give them to someone who would really appreciate them then sell them.

When I got back to the stage and sat in my seat Liam Finn started playing. What people don't understand is that Liam Finn is absolutely amazing. That guy is talented. It really pissed me off to see someone play with as much passion as he did, and have to listen to a bunch of people chat through his entire set. It takes balls to do what he's doing, show him the respect he deserves.

There was an empty seat by me. During Eddie's first few songs a guy named Thomas tried to stand in the Isle, I scooted over so we could cram in for a little while. I sat on the edge of my seat so the two people next to me had plenty of room. I felt greatful for my seat, and wanted to share the experience with someone else. So for the first 3 or 4 songs, I sat by Thomas. I'll probably never see him again, but I felt good knowing that I probably made his day by sharing my seat with him.

The guy sitting next to me was David (DpPhoto from the board) he was a damn cool guy. He told me that tonight was going to be a special night because it was in the Ryman, he was right.

Seeing Eddie on stage alone was breath taking. I don't think he personally knows how much he's impacted my life. His ideologies and his beliefs, the way he carries himself, and the humility he has is truly not worthy. And it is also evident in his playing. When I saw him walk on stage I jumped all over Dave. I felt bad for the guy (He plays hockey, he could whip my ass) but what can you expect? That was my first time ever seeing Ed in person. At that moment I looked at Dave and said "Forgive me, I have a terrible voice and I am going to sing my heart out tonight." He looked at me calmly and said something along the lines of "Go for it!"

I sang sometimes :) I was so glad to hear Thumbing my way after you. Seeing along with Eddie is pretty rad (to say the least) I love how the lights came on when he wanted the crowd to sing. Singing Gone was a blast to. That's probably my favorite off of their self titled record, so I felt really lucky to hear it. :)

I loved all the covers. I loved singing and dancing during Porch and small town. I sang porch as loud as I possibly could, then afterwards I quickly apologized to everyone around me. They all laughed and told me to "rock on." I think they knew I felt like a kid in a candy store.

I GOT TO HEAR BELIEVE YOU ME. Enough said.

Then Eddie (honestly the only song I wanted to hear that night) played, Wishlist. Being the huge Yield fan that I am, this was probably one of the most happiest moments of my entire life to date. Singing Wishlist with Eddie is something special.

Arc? Good God. His vocals are stunning. Anyone who thinks Eddie's vocals have gotten worse with time need to hear him sing Arc. It is stunning.

Hard Sun. :) I sang and danced in the isle. The old lady at the Ryman yelled at me, so I did what any sensible, respectful young man would do, and I kept dancing. :)

It was breath taking. I love everything about Eddie. Everyone told me that seeing Eddie live would make my obsession (because that's really what it is for all of us) and I didn't believe them. When I left they had all proved me wrong.

It was the best concert of my entire life. I loved meeting the people, and I loved hearing the songs I have had on repeat for years and years. The Pearl Jam community truly is a great one.

so jelous :oops: he should come and tour europe solo
  • Options
    RD171825RD171825 Posts: 440
    Wow a 17 year old that likes Rush thats awesome! Most young people can't get past Geddy's voice. I love Rush, then again I'm Canadian and we are programmed to like Rush.
  • Options
    weenie wrote:
    W-o-W, great story! and well written too. I'm so glad you experienced such a wonderful event. So nice that you took your Mom too.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing Ed live. But I know now, from your story, that the emotional catharsis I go thru everytime I've seen the band play will exist when I finally hear Ed alone too. I also know that everyone on this board who is familiar with this thread is really pleased for you - and the fact that you got to meet so many of us, just from having your picture posted along with your thread, is really awesome.

Congrats - I am WAAAAAYYYYYY happy for you, and your Mom, and the entire experience!

My mom loved it to. :) I saw her singing along (she didn't know much of what he played, but she knew small town)

I asked her what she thought of the show and all she told me was "EDDIE is HOT." The she preceded to tell me about how Eddie didn't have ring on a finger, how big his arms were, how she loves a man in work boots. etc.

I got to hear about this on the entire car ride home...
  • Options
    weenie wrote:

My mom loved it to. :) I saw her singing along (she didn't know much of what he played, but she knew small town)

I asked her what she thought of the show and all she told me was "EDDIE is HOT." The she preceded to tell me about how Eddie didn't have ring on a finger, how big his arms were, how she loves a man in work boots. etc.

I got to hear about this on the entire car ride home...

Yeah well, I don't think you'll find a woman anywhere who has any other opinion about him :D Your Mom has excellent taste.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    oh loard. 8-) lol

sounds like you caught the PJ for life train and your mom caught eddie is hot train.

Two separate trains that often pull into the same station. (ha! that was clever if i do say so myself)

• Options
    oh loard. 8-) lol

sounds like you caught the PJ for life train and your mom caught eddie is hot train.

Two separate trains that often pull into the same station. (ha! that was clever if i do say so myself)

TRULY!
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    thank ya
    thankyaverymuch
    :)

• Options
    CG49089CG49089 Posts: 109
    wow, you sound like a pretty smart kid...

I'm 26 and I feel like I missed the Pearl Jam generation boat by a few years...I knew almost no one in high school that liked pj and it sucked because I was (am) obsessed, but today it must be so much more drastic growing up.

I feel for you buddy. hang in there... spread the jam if you can... its great to see PJ still reaching young people, even if very few.... maybe Backspacer will catch on and the audience will broaden again... here's to hoping... that would make my day/month/year... that would be friggin great.... it could happen.
  • Options
    thank ya
    thankyaverymuch
    :)

Hey bb-
    Where were you sitting at the VA Bch concert last year? I remember reading you were going to be there. I was on Mike's side, on the row for wheelchairs. It was great because it was a super wide aisle and we had room to get nuts. That was one awesome show - the sound was awesome and the night air was beautiful.
    :D
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    i love this thread, it makes me feel all giddy like when i first got into the band... so thank you, sleep.with.innocence for posting your stories. don't think about those 15 years of shows you missed... think about the next 15 years worth of amazing experiences, once in a lifetime shows, and your many many many new 10c friends.
    +1
    RD171825 wrote:
    Wow a 17 year old that likes Rush thats awesome! Most young people can't get past Geddy's voice. I love Rush, then again I'm Canadian and we are programmed to like Rush.
    +1 I was into Rush ~10 yrs before PJ (been a drummer since I was 6 or 7, and like Canadians, if you're a drummer, you must love rush/peart).

as to the OP. Clearly an intelligent, well spoken 17 yo (IMO). I don't take the "15 yrs older" as literally as some. I think i get it. It's a feeling. Some advice, take it or leave it... there's a whole world out there. PJ is a lot of things, at times in some (many?) of our lives it may have seemed like the only thing... it's not and never should be. It's the other experiences in life that give us perspective that makes bands like PJ even more special. Not saying specifically that you've missed that point IM, as it sounds to me like you're well on your way. I'm just passing on a little hint to keep ya going.

Keep on Jammin'.
  • Options
    +1
    RD171825 wrote:
    +1 I was into Rush ~10 yrs before PJ (been a drummer since I was 6 or 7, and like Canadians, if you're a drummer, you must love rush/peart).

as to the OP. Clearly an intelligent, well spoken 17 yo (IMO). I don't take the "15 yrs older" as literally as some. I think i get it. It's a feeling. Some advice, take it or leave it... there's a whole world out there. PJ is a lot of things, at times in some (many?) of our lives it may have seemed like the only thing... it's not and never should be. It's the other experiences in life that give us perspective that makes bands like PJ even more special. Not saying specifically that you've missed that point IM, as it sounds to me like you're well on your way. I'm just passing on a little hint to keep ya going.

Keep on Jammin'.

Me too! (the Rush comment) They were my band through the late 70's and 80's. Just saw them last year here in Austin and they sound better than ever. Truly gifted guys - especially Peart. I recommend his books if you haven't read them - but being a drummer and all I'm guessing you have.
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau