Options

My Pearl Jam Story..

Comments

• Options
    BH22295 wrote:
    I love hearing these PJ stories... makes me feel less like an obsessed child (at 39).
    Keep your youth... but feed your passion. Every day.

About seeing the band live... find a way to make it happen. Life is about experiences. The live show... can't be beat. You get a sense from the DVD's -- favorite being Touring Band or Immagine -- but you really need to be there. See it... sense it... remember it.. live it. Hope you can make it happen. Certainly isn't cheap or easy to do it... but trust me that it's worth it.

You'll love seeing Eddie solo in N'ville... I saw him in Santa Barbara. Shows are intimate, personal, and amazing. Very different than the full band.... but certainly as enjoyable. You just won't be dripping in sweat from bouncing the whole time with 20000 friends.

If I can swing it, I'm going to try to get to N'ville too. I have to be in N'ville for work next week, the week after, and the first week in June. Have to hope that the stars align and I'm needed in N'ville the week when EV is in town.

Great post!

Are you going to be in Nashville? Looking to try and get a little get together. :)

Sorry for the bump, but with Nashville approaching I am trying to get together with everyone that I can. I'd enjoy my first Eddie Vedder experience even more with friends who share mutual interest.
  • Options
    touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
    I am sure you all get all kinds of these, but I'd like to share my passion for Pearl Jam here, because sadly this is one of the only places that I can.

I am 17, I live in Louisville Kentucky. When I was in 6th grade a group of all of my friends decided to do a "secret santa". I girl named Catherine drew my name, and she had no idea what to get me. I heard Black on the radio for the first time, I thought that song was pretty "pimp" (Current day slang ;) ) so I told her "Pearl Jam - Ten" and to my surprise she bought me that CD.

I had that CD in my little Sony walkmen for three months straight. I was already into Nirvana (something about the whole Kurt Cobain/teenage rebellion thing was huge around my school) but nobody was really into Pearl Jam, and it baffled me. Luckily for me this was around the time that Audioslave became huge, which got me into Soundgarden to. :)

But enough rambling. Obsessed with Ten I decided to by Vs. and Vitalogy. I listened to Vs. a lot in the 8th grade, but it wasn't until 9th grade that I had my first encounter with Immorality. All I could think was "Oh shit!"

Since I first listened to Immortality 3 and a half years ago I have not gone a single day without listening to Pearl Jam. My favorite album of 10th grade was Yield, I spent the entire summer listening to it. That was the first album that I really loved from top to bottom, it has no glaring weaknesses at all.

In late summer I was in Chicago and I was riding the L-Train, I played "Sleight of Hand" for the first time on my Ipod, and it was a breath taking moment. Something about listening to that song L-Train alone, watching people live their lives in that "pattern" that the song speaks of, really is astonishing. Just for that split second, I felt like I truly knew the message Eddie was portraying.

It didn't take me long to realize that I was all alone in my High School. A lot of my really close friends are into Metallica, Mastodon, Led Zep, but no Pearl Jam. Half of my high school hasn't even heard of Pearl Jam, and the other half only knows "Alive" from rockband. I have no one at all to share my passion with, it's really tough.

I am a totally obsessed fan. My top 25 most played on my Ipod looks something like this.. ;)

1. Release - Fox Theater 1994 - 527
    2. In My Tree - No Code - 491
    3. Breath - Singles - 433
    4. I Got Shit - Melbourne 1998 - 404
    5. Leash - Vs. - 403
    6. Given To Fly - Yield - 398
    7. In Hiding - Yield - 362
    8. Faithfull - Yield - 342
    9. Rearviewmirror - Vs. -328
    10. Daughter - Vs. - 320
    11. Low Light - Yield - 320
    12. Off He Goes - No Code - 315
    13. Elderly - Vs. - 313
    14. Believe You Me - Tower Records Demo (Bad Radio) - 291
    16. Wishlist - Yield - 271
    17. Inside Job - Avocado - 259
    18. Corduroy - Vitalogy - 254
    20. Better man - Vitalogy -228
    21. Immorality - Vitalogy - 219
    22. Nothingman - Vitalogy - 209

I have countless stories to tell about how much I love every single Pearl Jam record. I have "undeciphered tricks at the bar" to almost every Pearl Jam song I can. I have a butt load of Bootlegs. Musically no one else compares to them. I love them because they are real. Eddie Vedder is a humble. There is a lot of truth to all of their songs. It has meaning, purpose. Every song has a reason, and no one can write a song like Eddie Vedder.

I see this, NONE of my peers do. I would sell my soul to be 15 years older.

I feel old. That RELEASE that you have listened to 500+ times was the first Pearl Jam song I ever heard live. Atlanta 94 was my first show. If were ever at a future show together I will let you have my +1 on my low fanclub #. I love seeing the next generation of fans that have the same passion as us "old timers"
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • Options
    touringfan wrote:
    I feel old. That RELEASE that you have listened to 500+ times was the first Pearl Jam song I ever heard live. Atlanta 94 was my first show. If were ever at a future show together I will let you have my +1 on my low fanclub #. I love seeing the next generation of fans that have the same passion as us "old timers"

Bud, you honestly just made my day. :)
  • Options
    That entire bootleg is amazing. I love the sound of Ed's voice on Blood. Indifference was the perfect way to close it.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing. Exact same feeling you have my man.
    This bands been a best friend in shit times I've had recently.
    I wish I was at the concert stoney g's girl was at in 95, unfortunately I was only 11 years old and not exposed to great music, thanks to the internet I have been since.
    I've not yet seen them live and it depresses me, hate to admit that, makes me feel less of a fan and embarrassed :oops: :oops: :oops:
    I hope to see them one day, I really do, I think about it every time I listen to their songs, this would be a dream come true, sorry to sound so corny.
    I haven't been a fan as long as most of you sadly.
    I bought Ten & Vs about 4-5 years ago and loved them then but more so now.
    It is when I got No Code about a year ago I became obsessed.
    From there I went on a PJ shopping spree, all their albums, live cd's, all dvd's, their book 5 against 1, stickman tee and hoodie, oh and Ten SDE!

Damn now I feel like changing my playlist from The Who to PJ!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    I just came across this thread for the first time. I enjoyed your story.

Looks like your show(s) are coming up. Enjoy. :)

I love first timers, please share your story with us afterward.
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    I am sure you all get all kinds of these, but I'd like to share my passion for Pearl Jam here, because sadly this is one of the only places that I can.

I am 17, I live in Louisville Kentucky. When I was in 6th grade a group of all of my friends decided to do a "secret santa". I girl named Catherine drew my name, and she had no idea what to get me. I heard Black on the radio for the first time, I thought that song was pretty "pimp" (Current day slang ;) ) so I told her "Pearl Jam - Ten" and to my surprise she bought me that CD.

I had that CD in my little Sony walkmen for three months straight. I was already into Nirvana (something about the whole Kurt Cobain/teenage rebellion thing was huge around my school) but nobody was really into Pearl Jam, and it baffled me. Luckily for me this was around the time that Audioslave became huge, which got me into Soundgarden to. :)

But enough rambling. Obsessed with Ten I decided to by Vs. and Vitalogy. I listened to Vs. a lot in the 8th grade, but it wasn't until 9th grade that I had my first encounter with Immorality. All I could think was "Oh shit!"

Since I first listened to Immortality 3 and a half years ago I have not gone a single day without listening to Pearl Jam. My favorite album of 10th grade was Yield, I spent the entire summer listening to it. That was the first album that I really loved from top to bottom, it has no glaring weaknesses at all.

In late summer I was in Chicago and I was riding the L-Train, I played "Sleight of Hand" for the first time on my Ipod, and it was a breath taking moment. Something about listening to that song L-Train alone, watching people live their lives in that "pattern" that the song speaks of, really is astonishing. Just for that split second, I felt like I truly knew the message Eddie was portraying.

It didn't take me long to realize that I was all alone in my High School. A lot of my really close friends are into Metallica, Mastodon, Led Zep, but no Pearl Jam. Half of my high school hasn't even heard of Pearl Jam, and the other half only knows "Alive" from rockband. I have no one at all to share my passion with, it's really tough.

I am a totally obsessed fan. My top 25 most played on my Ipod looks something like this.. ;)

1. Release - Fox Theater 1994 - 527
    2. In My Tree - No Code - 491
    3. Breath - Singles - 433
    4. I Got Shit - Melbourne 1998 - 404
    5. Leash - Vs. - 403
    6. Given To Fly - Yield - 398
    7. In Hiding - Yield - 362
    8. Faithfull - Yield - 342
    9. Rearviewmirror - Vs. -328
    10. Daughter - Vs. - 320
    11. Low Light - Yield - 320
    12. Off He Goes - No Code - 315
    13. Elderly - Vs. - 313
    14. Believe You Me - Tower Records Demo (Bad Radio) - 291
    16. Wishlist - Yield - 271
    17. Inside Job - Avocado - 259
    18. Corduroy - Vitalogy - 254
    20. Better man - Vitalogy -228
    21. Immorality - Vitalogy - 219
    22. Nothingman - Vitalogy - 209

I have countless stories to tell about how much I love every single Pearl Jam record. I have "undeciphered tricks at the bar" to almost every Pearl Jam song I can. I have a butt load of Bootlegs. Musically no one else compares to them. I love them because they are real. Eddie Vedder is a humble. There is a lot of truth to all of their songs. It has meaning, purpose. Every song has a reason, and no one can write a song like Eddie Vedder.

I see this, NONE of my peers do. I would sell my soul to be 15 years older.

my story is almost the same as i am more or less the only one of my friends bar one that likes them bar one who i got into them recently, the wierd thing is my friend is who got me in to them and now he nolonger likes them...... strange i know
  • Options
    This is a great thread. Thanks for sharing. Exact same feeling you have my man.
    This bands been a best friend in shit times I've had recently.
    I wish I was at the concert stoney g's girl was at in 95, unfortunately I was only 11 years old and not exposed to great music, thanks to the internet I have been since.
    I've not yet seen them live and it depresses me, hate to admit that, makes me feel less of a fan and embarrassed :oops: :oops: :oops:
    I hope to see them one day, I really do, I think about it every time I listen to their songs, this would be a dream come true, sorry to sound so corny.
    I haven't been a fan as long as most of you sadly.
    I bought Ten & Vs about 4-5 years ago and loved them then but more so now.
    It is when I got No Code about a year ago I became obsessed.
    From there I went on a PJ shopping spree, all their albums, live cd's, all dvd's, their book 5 against 1, stickman tee and hoodie, oh and Ten SDE!

Damn now I feel like changing my playlist from The Who to PJ!

I have all of their CD's on my ipod. Live at the Garden is amazing. Before I die I plan on seeing Pearl Jam at the Garden at least once, it seems like a musical epiphany. Hopefully seeing Eddie Vedder tomorrow night will be as amazing as I am hoping for, I have a feeling it is.

Yield did it for me. I got Yield before I got No Code. The thing is though, my obsession with Yield really allowed me to appreciate No Code later on down the road. Both albums are bad ass. :) Slowly becoming a huge fan of Riot Act, and every Pearl Jam on the board loves Binaural, so I am trying to work both of those into the daily Pearl Jam routine.

I haven't bought any of the books yet, nor have I bought a lot of collectibles. Money's tight (I am only 17). I am hoping that by the time I get a solid cash flow coming in it isn't to late to start collecting.

I am a big fan of The Who (just for the record) :D
  • Options
    SpacetoadSpacetoad Posts: 78
    FrankieG wrote:
    I would sell my soul to be 15 years older.
    ;)

Maybe not sell my soul, but i would LOVE to be 15 years older. :D:D:D
    I am a kid of the 90s born too late to grow up in them. (i was born in 1990) I would have loved to be turning 18 in 1990 so I could have been a part of "it". :D

but what I hate the most is everyone in my school likeing the rap / R&B / "shit"...and NO ONE getting even close to PJ :(

I was 18 in 1990, I lived in Manachester UK and we had the invasion of the baggies, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays etc and then GnR and Metallica were on tour playing Milton keynes around then (1991)
    I blinked in 1990 and now i am 37, realising I am looking at the last UK shows until I am in my 40s. I don't care. Yes i wish i was 15 years younger sometimes but right here, right now is what counts. Dont ever wish to be older, if i did that I would be looking at 52!
    "oh when I was a kid, oh how magic it seemed"

Manchester, England (June 04, 2000) £27.50
    Leeds, England (August 25, 2006) £40
    Manchester, England (August 17, 2009) £50 - I think
    Manchester, UK (June 20, 2012) £50 - I think
    American Express presents BST Hyde Park (July 08, 2022) £80
    Manchester, June 2024 - TBC £160!!!

"Don't sweat the petty things, don't pet the sweaty things"
  • Options
    FrankieG wrote:
    I would sell my soul to be 15 years older.
    ;)

Maybe not sell my soul, but i would LOVE to be 15 years older. :D:D:D
    I am a kid of the 90s born too late to grow up in them. (i was born in 1990) I would have loved to be turning 18 in 1990 so I could have been a part of "it". :D

but what I hate the most is everyone in my school likeing the rap / R&B / "shit"...and NO ONE getting even close to PJ :(

I was 18 in 1990, I lived in Manachester UK and we had the invasion of the baggies, Stone Roses, Happy Mondays etc and then GnR and Metallica were on tour playing Milton keynes around then (1991)
    I blinked in 1990 and now i am 37, realising I am looking at the last UK shows until I am in my 40s. I don't care. Yes i wish i was 15 years younger sometimes but right here, right now is what counts. Dont ever wish to be older, if i did that I would be looking at 52!

The whole point behind me saying that, is that if I was 15 years older I would have already seen Pearl Jam 50+ times by now. :)

Trust me, "I delight in my youth" and wouldn't trade it for anything, but it does kind of stop and make you wonder.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509

don't feel bad.
    it's kinda nice seeing you're honesty. …. As opposed to reading about how somebody has seen them over 100 times. I get sick of that.
    you're no less of a fan.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options

don't feel bad.
    it's kinda nice seeing you're honesty. …. As opposed to reading about how somebody has seen them over 100 times. I get sick of that.
    you're no less of a fan.

You're no less of a fan at all. I'd love to see someone who is more obsessed then I am. ;) I think my itunes play count speaks for its self!

But in the end don't let that get you down. Your "fanhood" isn't defined by how many times you've seen a band live, it comes from some place deeper within.
  • Options
    Mike GossardMike Gossard Posts: 344
    Hearing your story makes me glad that there are young people out there with open minds to music. PJ do seem pretty humble and grateful for the life that the music has afforded them as they should be.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    Mike GossardMike Gossard Posts: 344
    When I saw Eddie's solo shows in San Diego last year, I came away thinking he is even more talented than I thought he was. It was astonishing how he connected. So I KNOW you will enjoy the show, and dont forget he does his soundcheck around 3 to 4 pm so go get an autograph and then come backe here and tell us all about it.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    Hearing your story makes me glad that there are young people out there with open minds to music. PJ do seem pretty humble and grateful for the life that the music has afforded them as they should be.

Well amongst my peers I am the only one who really enjoys Pearl Jam, I appreciate you calling me open minded, but I would be close minded to say that my peers whom don't like Pearl Jam are close minded.

A lot of my friends are into classic rock. The bulk of my friends hate new music. We all agree that it's fake, made by some wealthy producer who's more concerned about how many records he can sell then the dignity of the music.

I'm a drummer, so I like a lot of Dream Theater, Rush, Tool, etc. When I listen to music I just listen to the drums. What's was different to me about Pearl Jam was Eddie Vedder. Eddie Vedder was the reason I started listening to Pearl Jam. His voice spoke truth. He was very humble, and real. Being genuine speaks volumes of his character, and that's exactly how his lyrics spoke to me.
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    you're probably the coolest 17 year old alive.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    satansbedsatansbed Posts: 2,138
    Gmoney wrote:

theres alot of us with good taste out there you know!! were not all fucktards ;)
  • Options
    satansbed wrote:
    Gmoney wrote:

theres alot of us with good taste out there you know!! were not all fucktards ;)

But it retrospective there are a lot of "fucktards" out there. It's a result of peer pressure, and an urge to be "cool."

Thanks Gmoney. I am truly flattered by that one. :D
  • Options

don't feel bad.
    you're no less of a fan.

Thanks dude ;)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options

don't feel bad.
    you're no less of a fan.

You're no less of a fan at all. I'd love to see someone who is more obsessed then I am. ;) I think my itunes play count speaks for its self!

But in the end don't let that get you down. Your "fanhood" isn't defined by how many times you've seen a band live, it comes from some place deeper within.

I just want to see them once (at least) then I can die happy haha.
    I want to experience a PJ concert before they call it quits.
    I'm actually ensuring I got $$$ for when they come down to Australia.
    Aiming at 3-4 shows, that would mean I need airfares, hotels, but it'll be worth it!
  • Options
    [quote="Thoughts_ArriveI just want to see them once (at least) then I can die happy haha.
    Aiming at 3-4 shows, that would mean I need airfares, hotels, but it'll be worth it![/quote]

I see that you are from the Melbourne area, have you heard the Melbourne bootlegs? The one from 98 sticks out to me, it's an incredible show.

Anyway Pearl Jam has been known to play a lot of shows in Melbourne. You'll get your chance. :)
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Tool and Rush too. Wow, you know great music.

You're a bright kid, and sometimes being "bright" is code for "different". That difference makes for loneliness sometimes, but embrace that and keep getting into yourself and what makes life worth living for you. And, you've got this board to come to for an outlet.

I'm kinda in the same situation, for opposite reasons. I'm "old", divorced, never had kids - not your normal woman of my age group. Absolutely nobody my age is into PJ. I have one friend who is WAAAAYYYYY younger than me and I introduced her to PJ. She's not a big fan but I'm bringing her along. I go to concerts by myself etc. not only for PJ, but other bands too. Bottom line is, no matter "who" you are, embrace your bliss and don't worry about everybody else.

Next time I buy tickets for a show, I'll let you have the second ticket. It'll be up to you to get where the show is being held. Right now, I'm thinking if the Spectrum comes through, I might make it up there. I'm old enough to be your mother, crap, maybe even your Grandmother :lol: so your parents might approve.

Sound like a deal?
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    Oops, sorry. I just read back through the thread and saw that someone else already offered. Don't you just hate it when dumbasses don't read the thread before they post!! :roll:
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    I turned 13 in 1991. I wasn't so fond of "Evenflow" - "Alive" was the one that got me "into" PJ. PJ music quickly became my "thoughtful spot" and I started listening to the music- just listening and feeling some sort of release that I can't quite pin words to.

This may sound stupid- but PJ music is sort of private listening for me. It helps me think. It makes me think. It helped me to see that I am responsible for my choices alone and I have the power to change my own world through those choices. (better make'em good ones)

We all have defining moments in our lives and I found sometimes-Vedder's vocal voice will interject into those moments sealing itself to the memories serving as mild reminders when the songs run again.

The most private thing I'll share with you all, I've never spoken of b/c it's seemed such a small detail. I ran away from "home" just after I turned 16. As I sped away in the car, "rearview mirror" came on the radio. It almost felt the universe was confirming. (*Disclaimer- I am not advocating running away from home. Many kids get in harms way and some die after running away- for me- chances of survival improved by leaving. But it is not the case for everyone.- There was nothing honorable about being 16 and on my own- it sucked for a long time and in some ways has set me back. Doesn't make you bigger or badder - just makes the loss of innocence quicken. The fact for my case-it was the only way out of insanity.)

For the young man who stated he wishes he was 15 years older- I hope you are too- in 15 years. I'm 15 years older than you now and possibly even more confused about "life" than I was then. You'll be surprised how 15 years passes (I guess unless you're a prisoner.) You hear it all the time, but it never makes sense until you wake up one day and realize 15 years have passed.

There are a lot of good stories on here and I love to hear how people come to their music selections. This is a great thread. Thanks for reading and Thanks to Pearl Jam, I still have some sanity...
  • Options
    RITFWinCORITFWinCO Posts: 217
    You've got excellent taste in music but age 17 to 32 are some really amazing years. Nothing's worth missing out on them.
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,509
    I just want to see them once (at least) then I can die happy haha.
    Aiming at 3-4 shows, that would mean I need airfares, hotels, but it'll be worth it!

i felt the same way about ac/dc.....and i saw them live. they aren't my fav but i had wanted to see them before they croaked. and i did. keep the hope alive, you never know!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    dude...i now it's late in the thread...but i feel your pain...i as well am (well was, i just finished senior year) the only PJ fan in my school...when people think of me or refer to me, i am the Pearl Jam nut...although just this passed i found out that this girl i know is a huge PJ nut as well, however, we aren't that close, though that wont stop me from inviting her to PJ shows. i also know of one other kid who wears a PJ shirt every so often i hear he's a big fan, but again, not that close. i've gotten a few friends into pearl jam, but enough where they are concert worthy...i say that cause one get's kinda lost when going to a PJ show with only a few songs under their belt, unlike most other bands...i rememeber my first show and there were songs i didn't hear and people were like "what? you've never heard this song?" and i'll admit i was embarrassed but the second show i knew all the songs (except "all night" which is understandable and a few covers i never really payed attention to)...anywho where was i?...so yeah i'm kind of alone, at least with my circle of friends, when it comes to PJ, i do have my two, not-so-close friends i can go to shows with, but i can't REALLY enjoy this band with a peer
  • Options
    It's three in the morning. Just drove home from Eddie Vedder solo. I have a pretty good fan view to post in the morning. :)

A little sleepy now.

But I'd have to say it was pretty life changing, which is just what I expected.
  • Options
    [quote="Thoughts_ArriveI just want to see them once (at least) then I can die happy haha.

I see that you are from the Melbourne area, have you heard the Melbourne bootlegs? The one from 98 sticks out to me, it's an incredible show.

Anyway Pearl Jam has been known to play a lot of shows in Melbourne. You'll get your chance. :)[/quote]

I haven't heard 98, I got 95 boot.
    Yeah hopefully they come here again, if not I'll go to another city.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,315
    17? is this age still exist??? :D:D
    wellcome to this life-train of pearl jam
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”