Options

For the PJ/Bruce Springsteen fans

KinseyKinsey Posts: 197
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Bruce, Eddie and the E Street Band absolutely nail Better Man. Clemons' sax adds a nice dimension to the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXL4b44Ncds

This may have been posted before, but worth another look.
When we found the things we loved,
They were crushed and dying in the dirt.
We tried to pick up the pieces,
And get away without getting hurt,
But they caught us at the state line,
And burned our cars in one last fight,
And left us running burned and blind,
Chasing something in the night.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    Sorry dude - and I say this as a fan of Bruce - I don't think he has a fucking clue how to sing that song.
  • Options
    Dead right, I think that's why he lets EV sing almost all of it. Nice couple of solos at the end though, and the song is tight from a band that probably only rehearsed it a couple of times
  • Options
    mjb wrote:
    Sorry dude - and I say this as a fan of Bruce - I don't think he has a fucking clue how to sing that song.

agreed. the saxophone at the end is a nice touch........ but.... - and i also say this as a fan of Bruce - he sounds like he's singing while straining to squeeze one out on the john during the verses he sang
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,805
    great song!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    LoveBoatAdmiralLoveBoatAdmiral Posts: 1,191
    My freshman year roommate bought this DVD the day it came out and played it on a loop for months. I personally don't like Bruce, but I watched it because he said Eddie was in it. It was painful to watch back then. Still is.
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    My freshman year roommate bought this DVD the day it came out and played it on a loop for months. I personally don't like Bruce, but I watched it because he said Eddie was in it. It was painful to watch back then. Still is.
    I dont like it either.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,904

:o

hearing bruce do betterman, is wrong. play the guitar bruce, but don't sing it with ed. let tucker do it!
  • Options
    Fair enough. Maybe I'm not as sensitive about other artists interpreting PJ songs. I think the coda to the song by Clemons and Bruce is as interesting as anything PJ have done with BM.
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Great tune. :)
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    I think Bruce is reading the lyrics from a sheet on the floor. And not very well. Love the Boss but he didn't cover himself in glory days there. I liked the sax though, Clarence rules.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,904
    icemanap wrote:
    I think Bruce is reading the lyrics from a sheet on the floor. And not very well. Love the Boss but he didn't cover himself in glory days there. I liked the sax though, Clarence rules.

:lol:

though bruce, ed & the gang did a great jam to peace love & understanding
  • Options
    thecorythecory Posts: 290
    was this a vote for change tour or random ed surprise guest? also have people noticed bruce does a ridicurous bob dylan impersonation ona ton of songs now? watch the dvd in ireland from around 04. its ridicurous but true.
  • Options
    thecorythecory Posts: 290
    this was a related video = awesome!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-rhHSw4 ... re=related

TONIGHT I'LL BE ON THAT HILL COS I CAN'T STOP I'LL BE ON THAT HILL WITH EVERYTHING THAT I GOT
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Ed must have been so stoked to hear Bruce sing his words. Who cares how he sang it, that right there makes this video worth it.
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    OK

its no secret of my love and adoration of springsteen ,

i was lucky enough to be at this show in The Swamps Of New Jersey on 10-13-2004.

Failed to be mentioned here, is that they sang Betterman immediately after Eddie came out and absolutely nailed the trading verses with Bruce on No Surrender and Darkness On The Edge Of Town with The E Streeters.

This was actually the finale VFC show, after all of the others had ended, in New Jersey .
    Eddie had just finished up his own VFC tour with Pearl Jam .
    This was obviously improvised and thrown together at the the last minute.

So yeah , Bruce fucks it up a bit, and maybe even fumbles here and there,
    but it still made no difference- this show and performance(s) are amongst the best I have ever witnessed live.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    As a huge bruce I don't care if he doesn't sing it good or butchers it. Its still cool to have a rock icon and his band to wanna cover your song. There's so many covers ed has done where he doesn't sound good to me. but as the old saying goes to each is there own
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?