Options

Pay Per View On-Line Concert

NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Why hasn't this been done yet and who do I need to talk to to get it to happen? I know there are TONS of folks out there who would pay a decent chunck of change (I dunno $19.95 or $29.95 something like that) to see a live PJ show either on-line or through their cable distributor...but if it's on-line perhaps 10C can carry it and the band can forego paying all the fees and little guys in between and put the money to good use or in their own pockets..really, I don't care...I would just love for them to do this instead of scouring the net for some wobbly shaky phone vid that's going to get taken down within minutes anyway...

I know there's nothing like a live show, I agree seeing the band, or Ed's solo, was two of the greatest happenings of my life (yeah, marriage, kids are up there...you know what I mean) but this could be a real money maker, agreed?

Anyone with any pull or tech savviness, someone in the biz got any ideas on how to make this happen??
"Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
"Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I remember 10-15 years ago the Who and Iron Maiden both did concerts through Pay Per View. Haven't seen it done recently though.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    That would be GREAT!!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I remember 10-15 years ago the Who and Iron Maiden both did concerts through Pay Per View. Haven't seen it done recently though.
    korn is doing this soon or just did it recently.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    chuckles wrote:
    Why hasn't this been done yet and who do I need to talk to to get it to happen? I know there are TONS of folks out there who would pay a decent chunck of change (I dunno $19.95 or $29.95 something like that) to see a live PJ show either on-line or through their cable distributor...but if it's on-line perhaps 10C can carry it and the band can forego paying all the fees and little guys in between and put the money to good use or in their own pockets..really, I don't care...I would just love for them to do this instead of scouring the net for some wobbly shaky phone vid that's going to get taken down within minutes anyway...

I know there's nothing like a live show, I agree seeing the band, or Ed's solo, was two of the greatest happenings of my life (yeah, marriage, kids are up there...you know what I mean) but this could be a real money maker, agreed?

Anyone with any pull or tech savviness, someone in the biz got any ideas on how to make this happen??
    Hm. Live video online is not difficult at all, but is bandwidth heavy - something the Pearl Jam site clearly struggles with. As for paying, I don't think this would work as a "pay-per-view" thing, so much as an addition to the live bootlegs. I'm thinking something along livephish.com's services they offer - shows could be downloaded in MP3, FLAC, or M4P (Apple video format - iPod-ready), or one could pay for a DVD with MKVs of 1080p content with DTS-HD MA 7.1 track (while I'm dreaming here :mrgreen: ).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Does anyone think if "they" got enough demand from the fans they would consider it or is this really just a major pipe dream?? Could this be petitioned to the band?? Will it make any difference???? I just wanna hear them/watch them PLAY!! and can't!!! and so do all of you who can't make it round the world (or even to Atlanta)

PLEASE GUYS :)
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    I think it would be awesome to have Sirius/XM set up a Pearl jam channel for the next album's tour, playing the tours show's live and perhaps the guys guest playing guest dj and spinning some of their favorite albums and taking calls etc..
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    This is a great idea. Is there enough demand to justify the amount to put on a quality production?... (im sure quality would be important not as much for us, but for the artists)...

I would pay $20 at least few times a tour to tune in. I would think about more than $20 too
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,948
    pay per view event's would be amazing! i wouldn't mind paying what, 24.99 to watch a live feed of a pearl jam concert. i used to buy each & every wwe & wcw pay per view event. got a whole basement side of the wall full of vhs tapes recording those events. both woodstock payperview event's were amazing. not sure why bonnaroo or the other huge festivals here in usa/cdn do payperview or even reg cable tv.

europe on the other hand, has all the fun. all major festivals, even hug concert's get broadcasted on tv. many, commerical free.
  • Options
    STT757 wrote:
    I think it would be awesome to have Sirius/XM set up a Pearl jam channel for the next album's tour, playing the tours show's live and perhaps the guys guest playing guest dj and spinning some of their favorite albums and taking calls etc..

here here.bring back monkeywrench radio!
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,948
    [bring back monkeywrench radio!

agreed! would love to be able to listen to live feeds on the radio, even on say a 10club webcast etc..
    have the quality good or something. but still make it available via flac/cd etc..
  • Options
    I remember New Kids On The Block's Pay-Per-View concert from Providence, RI back in like 1990. 8-)
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,168
    GREAT IDEA,BUT THIS ISNT FOOTBALL.......
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    i think closed circuit television (i.e. movie theaters or small arenas) would be an awesome idea. i saw a couple of phish shows like that. good times.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,941
    i think closed circuit television (i.e. movie theaters or small arenas) would be an awesome idea. i saw a couple of phish shows like that. good times.
    Just like Phish, if PJ did it like that for a couple of hyped up shows, that'd work for me! Bring on MSG '09, coming to a theatre near you in 3D-HD :mrgreen:
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    GREAT IDEA,BUT THIS ISNT FOOTBALL.......

and thank godness, then I wouldn't be nearly as interested...I just wanna see/hear/experience the boys in real time when I can't really be there. Can this be made a sticky and we can petition the band?