Options

Kalmans Flatbed drawing for Eddie (Albany NY N2)

CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
edited June 2009 in The Porch
My wife Lindsay and I headed off to Albany NY on tuesday morning to catch Eddie Vedder doing his solo tour.....its also the first trip in 5 years that we had a trip away from the kids together...long overdue.

We have been big fans of Pearl Jam since the begining in our highschool days so we have a few PJ trips booked this summer......this was our second time seeing Eddie Vedder play....we were lucky enough to see him at Massey Hall in Toronto. So on to the good stuff.

We blasted across NY state in the Genesis Coupe.....it was a blast....didnt see another one along the way the whole trip and people really enjoyed seeing it. We got to Albany and hit the 10 Club preparty(PJs fan club party) bought some raffle tickets and won a Flight To Mars(Mike McCreedy) Tshirt...kewl....So we ate and drank it up and blew a couple smiley darts and headed to the Palace Theatre.

Tour buses were lined up beside the venue so we decided to see check out Ed's tour bus.

Now another layer of the story starts here.....about 6 weeksago my son Kalman who is 4 years old out of the blue says here dad I drew Eddie a picture of a flatbed carrying all his gear for the concert can you give it him when you him.....i guess he thought Ed and I knew each other...lol...So I decided back then I would make sure Eddie Vedder got Kalmans drawing and note of THANK YOU EDDIE FOR THE MUSIC....love Kalman and Ella. (Kal listens to various Vedder PJ to fall asleep at night and is a very big little fan)

Back to the story.....so we decide to see if we can infact get the card to somebody who can give it to Ed. So we wait near the tour buses and none of the crew will help us....probably thinking sure ...sure its a drawinfg from a 4 year old. So we waited....thats when the people standing beside us say 25 people said Ed's in the tour bus he has to come out...just wait and see if you can give it to him....which seemed like a tall order.

it hits 7:30pm and Liam Finn opens the show and were still standing there....Im thinking were going to miss the merchandise table I have been longing to grab stuff from ......but no....we have waited this long...I will miss the opener and the merch table to get Kals card delivered to Ed.

people are now leaving to go in the venue assuming hes not coming for a while so they left...now there is Linds and I and 5-6 others waiting....

And then it happened Eddie Vedder the man himself steps out of the bus and heads our way carrying a guitar wearing his classic PJ army jacket and walks up and looks me dead in the eye and shakes my hand and says thanks for coming.....I too thanked him and told him about Kals drawing of the flatbed....he was so glad we followed out his wish....and said to thank Kalman and be sure to bring him to a show for a meeting with Ed......UNBELEVEABLE!!!!!! I thanked him again and wished him the best for the show...he looked me in the eye like a real genuine man....he appreciated my words and made sure we meant something in the moment. Something we will remember forever.

We then scurred to get our 10club seats we won in the PJ lottery and to our shock and suprise...they were 4TH ROW CENTRE...The set list was outstanding and we had the time of our lives.

But more importantly....Ed got Kals flatbed! You can see the card in the bodyguards hand next to Ed...the white envelope.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy the pictures
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/overdrive_2009/IMG_9635.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/overdrive_2009/035.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/overdrive_2009/040.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/overdrive_2009/VedderAlbanyN2.jpg
Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
Go Cards Go!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    Great story, congrats on the meeting and carrying out the little fellas wish...
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    Cardinal wrote:
    My wife Lindsay and I headed off to Albany NY on tuesday morning to catch Eddie Vedder doing his solo tour.....its also the first trip in 5 years that we had a trip away from the kids together...long overdue.

We have been big fans of Pearl Jam since the begining in our highschool days so we have a few PJ trips booked this summer......this was our second time seeing Eddie Vedder play....we were lucky enough to see him at Massey Hall in Toronto. So on to the good stuff.

We blasted across NY state in the Genesis Coupe.....it was a blast....didnt see another one along the way the whole trip and people really enjoyed seeing it. We got to Albany and hit the 10 Club preparty(PJs fan club party) bought some raffle tickets and won a Flight To Mars(Mike McCreedy) Tshirt...kewl....So we ate and drank it up and blew a couple smiley darts and headed to the Palace Theatre.

Tour buses were lined up beside the venue so we decided to see check out Ed's tour bus.

Now another layer of the story starts here.....about 6 weeksago my son Kalman who is 4 years old out of the blue says here dad I drew Eddie a picture of a flatbed carrying all his gear for the concert can you give it him when you him.....i guess he thought Ed and I knew each other...lol...So I decided back then I would make sure Eddie Vedder got Kalmans drawing and note of THANK YOU EDDIE FOR THE MUSIC....love Kalman and Ella. (Kal listens to various Vedder PJ to fall asleep at night and is a very big little fan)

Back to the story.....so we decide to see if we can infact get the card to somebody who can give it to Ed. So we wait near the tour buses and none of the crew will help us....probably thinking sure ...sure its a drawinfg from a 4 year old. So we waited....thats when the people standing beside us say 25 people said Ed's in the tour bus he has to come out...just wait and see if you can give it to him....which seemed like a tall order.

it hits 7:30pm and Liam Finn opens the show and were still standing there....Im thinking were going to miss the merchandise table I have been longing to grab stuff from ......but no....we have waited this long...I will miss the opener and the merch table to get Kals card delivered to Ed.

people are now leaving to go in the venue assuming hes not coming for a while so they left...now there is Linds and I and 5-6 others waiting....

And then it happened Eddie Vedder the man himself steps out of the bus and heads our way carrying a guitar wearing his classic PJ army jacket and walks up and looks me dead in the eye and shakes my hand and says thanks for coming.....I too thanked him and told him about Kals drawing of the flatbed....he was so glad we followed out his wish....and said to thank Kalman and be sure to bring him to a show for a meeting with Ed......UNBELEVEABLE!!!!!! I thanked him again and wished him the best for the show...he looked me in the eye like a real genuine man....he appreciated my words and made sure we meant something in the moment. Something we will remember forever.

We then scurred to get our 10club seats we won in the PJ lottery and to our shock and suprise...they were 4TH ROW CENTRE...The set list was outstanding and we had the time of our lives.

But more importantly....Ed got Kals flatbed! You can see the card in the bodyguards hand next to Ed...the white envelope.

Thanks for reading. Enjoy the pictures
    http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/overdrive_2009/IMG_9635.jpg
    http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/overdrive_2009/040.jpg
    http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss63/overdrive_2009/VedderAlbanyN2.jpg
    Very special. Congratulations on the meeting, and great that it came as a result of something so selfless as giving your kid's picture to Eddie. Great story.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    RedMosquito02RedMosquito02 Posts: 2,560
    Great story...very cool you got the little mans drawing in Ed's hands :D
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,922
    Very cool story. Great pics btw :D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,933
    sweet story! :)
    Cardinal wrote:
    and said to thank Kalman and be sure to bring him to a show for a meeting with Ed

don't break that promise! :)
  • Options
    JG282714JG282714 Posts: 2
    Man,
    That's a great story! I was there very early, about 2:30pm on Tuesday. About 8 of us were waiting aside 2 tour buses & an 18 wheeler. We saw Liam & Liza come from the first bus & said hello. We thought that Ed was in the second bus. Then around 4:00pm, another tour bus pulls up & security sets up some railings. Ed comes from the bus with his antique suitcase, looks left & right & comes over to greet & say hello to both sides. I got to shake the man's hand too! I took some pics with my cell phone also. Then Everyone started to walk away, & Ed's bodyguard came out & gave a few gifts to a lucky few. I got an EV guitar pick! Anyhow, it was intersting to hear that he came out of the building again... It was overall a great day, & a 3 1/2 hour ride back to Ma. . .. Ed was in very Good Spirits!
  • Options
    CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
    Ed's a pretty cool guy that he cares for his fans the way he does.....Im just glad that through it all our view of Eddie Vedder just got even better....a truely good man.

Next I want Kalman to meet Ed....thats the next mission. I think Ed would like that.
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
    Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
    Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
    Go Cards Go!
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    real cool story! take Ed up on his offer for sure and get that little guy to a show!
  • Options
    AmantriaAmantria Posts: 369
    Thats an awesome story! Ed is such a great guy. I hope I get to meet him one day...I get such a warm, fuzzy feeling reading all these stories about how nice he is to his fans.
    Its good to be back!!