Options

Ed's "Got Some" performance..

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited June 2009 in The Porch
I know I'm beating a dead horse here, BUT..

After re-watching Life Wasted, Save You and Grievance, even Hail, Hail from previous late night talk show years, his energy on Conan was 10x better than any of those.

Yes his voice was raspy, he had a hard time hitting high notes, BUT there was a lot more aggression. Ed seemed to be singing more out of his lungs and more naturally.. His Life Wasted singing on Letterman was horrid compared to Got Some. He sounded frail back then! Same with Save You and especially Grievance. Pearl Jam actually looked tough again on TV. I don't think they played a song that aggressively on TV since SNL in '94.

I'm glad Ed's not mumbling anymore or singing like he's frail and didn't want to be there. I thought it was cool to see. I hope it comes through on the new album like this. I thought Avocado was awesome, but not one of Ed's best vocal performances. Riot Act was good too, but brought down by his mumbling style of singing.

This is all opinion though, just wondering if there's people out there that agree.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I thought Avocado was awesome, but not one of Ed's best vocal performances.

It doesn't help matters much when the production quality is pure garbage.
  • Options
    mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472

+1
  • Options

Yes, I'll agree there too.. Although, I think the production on Riot Act is the best. It had a much warmer feel, more range and clearer sound. The music and Ed's performance is arguable, but its a personal favorite of mine.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I'm glad Ed's not mumbling anymore

You gotta be fucking kidding me. You call THAT "not mumbling"?
  • Options

Compared to Riot Act, yes. lol
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    That was one of the mumbliest performances I've ever heard from Ed and that says alot. I don't think he was in the best form either and judgin by people's lyric interpretations, which are reasonably close, there are quite a few of the lyrics that he didn't really know. I mean, some of what was sang doesn't even make sense or was kinda crammed in to fit the music.

I thought Ed was the weak link, aside from not really bein able to hear Stone.

Jeff's bassline wasn't spectacular, and I could see it gettin dressed up fast but it provided a steady pulse. I just wonder if it's gonna be so prevalent on the album and future performances.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    DewieCox wrote:
    That was one of the mumbliest performances I've ever heard from Ed and that says alot. I don't think he was in the best form either and judgin by people's lyric interpretations, which are reasonably close, there are quite a few of the lyrics that he didn't really know. I mean, some of what was sang doesn't even make sense or was kinda crammed in to fit the music.

Jeff's bassline wasn't spectacular, and I could see it gettin dressed up fast but it provided a steady pulse. I just wonder if it's gonna be so prevalent on the album and future performances.

If you listen to it enough ... you can tell exactly what Ed is singing. Same with pretty much any other TV performance from the past 20 years.

Or any Ed performance on record, for that matter.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    DewieCox wrote:

If you listen to it enough ... you can tell exactly what Ed is singing. Same with pretty much any other TV performance from the past 20 years.

If you listen to anything enough you can understand it. Doesn't mean it isn't hard as fuck to understand. Name one studio song that is that hard to understand?
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    DewieCox wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

If you listen to anything enough you can understand it. Doesn't mean it isn't hard as fuck to understand. Name one studio song that is that hard to understand?

I mean, the first time I heard World Wide Suicide, for example, it was on the radio ... the same track that ended up on Avocado.

The chorus sounded like this: "Bwaa Bwaa Bwaa! BwaaBwaaBwaa! It's a WawaWowiiiiiiiide"

Couldn't understand a word.

Some songs are easier to understand than others ... but, no shit, when a new PJ album comes out, I have to spend a week or so behind closed doors with the liner notes, deciphering the lyrics. And those are the studio tracks.

Forget live performances of songs that haven't been released yet, a la Got Some. Good Lord ... "Grievance" on Letterman was a lyrical train wreck. I remember watching it over and over with my brother. "I think he's saying something about patching his grievance to the flag." And that was the CLEAREST lyric I could come up with.

Ed has never been easy to understand. To this day, there are people who don't know the correct lyrics to songs on Ten.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Purex37Purex37 Chicago Posts: 167
    DewieCox wrote:

I think you can understand him pretty easily after a few listens. (Having it on your iPod and listening with headphones definitely helps.) I don't think he struggled with the lyrics either. The "mother-fool" line sounds a little awkward, but only because he was censoring himself. I love the energy of the band, Ed included, throughout the performance.

Eddie's voice struggled a little though. You can definitely hear him clear his throat after the first pause in the lyrics. It's nothing to worry about. Got Some is a likely opener to the album but it is not the kind of song that the band typically starts a show with. Eddie is more accustomed to warming his voice up before tearing into a song like that.
    Why go, Animal?
    Foxy Mop in my tree, no way. 
    Gods' Dice Get Right
    Come back amongst the waves yellow moon.
    https://www.instagram.com/knowcode/

• Options
    I thought Ed was as mumbly as ever on Conan. I first thought he was singing "Got a song if you need it". I wish he'd enunciate more when singing live but what are you going to do? The emotion and passion in Ed's voice has always been equally (maybe even more) important to the tone of the band than his lyrics.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    CG49089CG49089 Posts: 109
    I agree.. liked the aggression... seeing Ed pumping his fist and beating his chest was damn cool... more of this please.
  • Options

I guess I mean, not speaking up when he sings. Not necissarily hard to understand.. his lyrics have always been hard to make out. He sang more from his lungs this performance.