Options

You guys are overanalyzing the SH*T out of this!

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited June 2009 in The Porch
It's just a song. Whether its good or bad is all subjective.

It sounds like this, it sounds like that. The sound was bad, the sound was good. Ed sounded good, Ed sounded bad. I like slow songs, I like fast songs. This will make pearl jam, this will break pearl jam.. My head is spinning from reading all of these posts! It's like you people were making a life changing decision.

Does anyone actually enjoy music anymore and take it for what it is??? Music is much more enjoyable when you don't over-analyize it.

:P

8-)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    :lol::lol::lol:

whatcha expect from the trekkies?! ;) :P :lol::lol:
  • Options
    IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    :)

This is one of those times when it's good to step away from the internet and breath again....outside in the real world.

Thanks. :)

*closes the browsers*
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • Options
    IamMine wrote:
    :)

This is one of those times when it's good to step away from the internet and breath again....outside in the real world.

Thanks. :)

*closes the browsers*
    I hear ya..

Although I do the same thing at first, overanalyize these new songs.. and they sound 100x better when I stop!
  • Options
    wnh1977wnh1977 Iowa Posts: 587

It sounds like this, it sounds like that. The sound was bad, the sound was good. Ed sounded good, Ed sounded bad. I like slow songs, I like fast songs. This will make pearl jam, this will break pearl jam.. My head is spinning from reading all of these posts! It's like you people were making a life changing decision.

Does anyone actually enjoy music anymore and take it for what it is??? Music is much more enjoyable when you don't over-analyize it.

8-)

You have noticed this board is filled with Pearl Jam freaks, right? ;) I'm one of them. And yes, I've been posting my "over-analytical thoughts". It is funny realizing that this is just one live performance of one new 3-minute song and it's created ALL of this feedback. But that's what the most rabid in this fanbase do. As an admitted "PJ freak" (I'll never say I'm in the "Jamily"... that's just stupid), I will say I liked the song but wish Eddie's vocal performance would've been better. That is all.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006:5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,856
    edited June 2009
    norm wrote:

we need a name, other jam, jammies to call pearl jam fans .. like trekkies!

oh wait .. jammies!!!
    to young?

:lol:
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    norm wrote:

we need a name, other jam jammies to call pearl jam fans .. like trekkies!

oh wait .. jammies!!!
    to young?

:lol:

hehehe...i've been trying think of one too...until then it's trekkies :P :D
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    edited June 2009
    IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!!IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!!IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!!IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!! IT IS ABOUT THE MUSIC FOR ME!! ALWAYS HAS BEEN ALWAYS WILL BE!!!

ps....loved the song last night!! ;-) Everyone looked happy and healthy!!

pps....LOTS of NEWBIES here too has changed the complex...attitude and overall feel of this place since the "change"...Change is good to a point. ;-)
    Post edited by pjtradeking on
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    RITFWinCORITFWinCO Posts: 217
    Ummm..this is a PJ message board and a new album is coming out for the first time in 3.5 years and last night PJ played its first song on the premier of Late Night with Conan.

What do you people to discuss? Old PJ shows? Lolla 1992? The weather? Politics? This is not CNN.com.

I'm just saying a little context. If I saw this on a mainstream website/message board...then I'd be worried. Not here.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,480
    norm wrote:

Dude, this post totally nails it.

Anytime you get a fan base that is WAY too into something, they get WAY to critical of the thing they love.

I have been reading your posts, and wondering...."Jeez I agree with norm a lot."

Then i saw your tag..

"formerly cutback"

THAT explains it!!!!
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    pjtradeking, i got a fever, and the only prescription, is more paragraph's like the one above! :P

j/k :lol:
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd wrote:
    norm wrote:

Dude, this post totally nails it.

Anytime you get a fan base that is WAY too into something, they get WAY to critical of the thing they love.

I have been reading your posts, and wondering...."Jeez I agree with norm a lot."

Then i saw your tag..

"formerly cutback"

THAT explains it!!!!

what's up vh? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

8-)

just as I asked sleightofjeff yesterday, I ask you LikeAnOcean, haven't you been around the PJ message pits long enough to know how everyone reacts to new music, tours, or endeavors by Pearl Jam? IT'S CHAOS!!!!!!!!!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Good music, is good music.

A bad song......is simply a bad song.

It's not over-analyzing to say that's not a very good song.

It simply is not.

If I want to over analyze it, I would say......

The music is rather generic and void of any real creative arrangement, distinct character or melody.

But the vocal presentation seems fairly unfitting. Seems out of place.

All in all, the music isn't awful. I like those bass and drum breaks. But the chord structure just sounds dull, unispired and void of any melodic passion.

The vocal just seem not to work.

That's analizing.

Simply put, a bad song.

Rather disapointing.
  • Options
    norm wrote:

what's up vh? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I dont see it now that Im logged in! Maybe thats why!

Ah well. Good to see you!
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:
    pjtradeking, i got a fever, and the only prescription, is more paragraph's like the one above! :P

Dont get me wrong, I am as big of a trekkie as they come when it comes to this band some of the time with discussing old shows...posters...boots and such....That said...I havent gone completely nuts!! Some of the things I have read in the last few days from some of the new faces(and a few old) here are borderline scary to me.

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:

It simply is not.

The music is rather generic and void of any real creative arrangement, distinct character or melody.

All in all, the music isn't awful. I like those bass and drum breaks. But the chord structure just sounds dull, unispired and void of any melodic passion.

That's analizing.

Simply put, a bad song.

Rather disapointing.

I actually really liked the song.....not for how it sounded last night, but for how it WILL sound both live and on studio album.

Not only was ed a little scratchy, but the sounds seemed a little off....

NO doubt they will get this one figured out.
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

I actually really liked the song.....not for how it sounded last night, but for how it WILL sound both live and on studio album.

I completely agree.
    This shiz is going to melt our faces come August.
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    demetrios wrote:

Dont get me wrong, I am as big of a trekkie as they come when it comes to this band some of the time with discussing old shows...posters...boots and such....That said...I havent gone completely nuts!! Some of the things I have read in the last few days from some of the new faces(and a few old) here are borderline scary to me.

discussion is great...taking people's opinions on the band personally is when it becomes a little weird...nothing new of course, it's just been a while :lol::D
  • Options
    ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443

That's debatable... you were nuts to start with. ;)
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • Options
    Murderers.Murderers. Posts: 1,382
    NMyTree wrote:

It simply is not.

That's analizing.

Simply put, a bad song.

Rather disapointing.
    But it simply is a great song.
    What the fuck is this world?
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    demetrios wrote:

discussion is great...taking people's opinions on the band personally is when it becomes a little weird...nothing new of course, it's just been a while :lol::D

And there are some people who have flat out gone postal about some of the things said too....It has been a while for sure. Ihate this part sometimes!!! :-)

I was trying to think of a good comebacke here until I realized I dont have a leg to stand on! ;-)

• Options

were all nuts! it's the human condition.
    speaking of nuts, i gotta try that peanut buster parfa ice cream from dairy queen after work.
    mmm .. nuts!!

• Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    who cares if people wanna overanalyze? does it affect your everyday life? looks like it has...free speech baby love it or leave it :)
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    Vedd Hedd wrote:

And that's fine. That's the way it's supposed to be. We all have our own tastes and opinions.

I think Vedder's vocals sounded forced, rushed and out of place.

Kind of makes me think that song would have been better as an instrumental. They should have had Ed strap on the guitar, Mike or Stone play ....maybe some slide guitar lead/melody lines and work some three guitar proogression in there.

I hope you're right, though. I hope they work on that song and improve it.
  • Options
    RITFWinCO wrote:
    Ummm..this is a PJ message board and a new album is coming out for the first time in 3.5 years and last night PJ played its first song on the premier of Late Night with Conan.

What do you people to discuss? Old PJ shows? Lolla 1992? The weather? Politics? This is not CNN.com.

I'm just saying a little context. If I saw this on a mainstream website/message board...then I'd be worried. Not here.
    You have a point, I'll agree. 8-)
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:

It simply is not.

That's analizing.

Simply put, a bad song.

Rather disapointing.

The same could be said about any song.. like I said, music is subjective.

It's fine, you don't like the arrangement of the song. Just say it. It's your opinion. There are no facts that make music better than other music. It is not a race.
  • Options

8-)

cue the overanalyzing of the overanalyzers' overanalyzations.
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • Options
    over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    I was pretty disappointed last night but after getting the mp3 I just can't stop listening to it. It's just on repeat at this point. Really love it. But overanalyzing is the best part to hearing new songs, right?
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    "Fan" is short for fanatic.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

8-)

God, thank you for saying what I've been feeling. I just didn't want to catch the wave of shit for being the bitchy party-pooper.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2