Options

I felt so old after watching PJ last night..lol

Comments

• Options
    we have to realize that we are all getting older...ed's not the 25yr old that used to mosh pit...i think he looks like a man now and sounds better then ever even if he cant reach the high notes or scream as long as he used to...still has the best voice...love him!
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    It sucked watching ed last night..lol i realized that we are all getting old.....

my excitement, anticipation was quickly replaced with exactly the same feelings.

they all deserve an A for effort, but things have definitely changed.

im going to come at this from a different angle, i think they are trying too hard to be relevant when they were just fine the way they are..i mentioned this is a different thread, the songs set up with hooks and what not is the same as every other "popular" song out there..perfect example is Green Days song "Know your enemy"..the repeating of the same hook over and over

i guess just give it some time and a few more listens thats all, exciting nonetheless a new album and hype :)
  • Options
    that's ok cause they are both HOT!!
  • Options
    I thought they rocked! People love to pick things apart, it seems. I agree with the sentiment that they seemed like the same kickass band that rocked my butt off this time last year...maybe a little shy and constrained due to the tv appearance but other than that....golden. :)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    i felt a little "old"
    not because Pearl Jam is aging gracefully
    but because i recognized the patch on ed's t-shirt as being Felix the Cat
    a cartoon a used to watch when i was MUCH MUCH younger
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

S'ok tho' i've got about a decade and a half or so left before i'm an "official" adult
    ya know old enough to live in my own "community" with other "adults"
    8-)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    lol Stones hair looks good, as does Mikes.

Eddie def. looked a bit old there.
  • Options
    Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    Pearl moon wrote:
    As far as looks Ed is only getting hotter with age and experience 8-)

+1 :D
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    Well, maybe it is just your eyes and ears that are feeling old. Ed looked hot as usual and sounded great. Mick Jagger has always been ugly and skinny (even when I saw him in 1972). How could you even compare the two!!! I turned 55 two weeks ago, but I felt energized seeing them last night, not old. Can't wait to rock on in Chicago and out west.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508

My knees disagree with you. Crack, crack, creak.

lol
    :) i hear ya.
    But I look at it like this.
    I’m a survivor. It’s not easy existing on this fucked up planet for this long. Lol!
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It sucked watching ed last night..lol i realized that we are all getting old.....
    The band was rocking for sure......, but ed looked and sounded about the same as mick Jagger.
    It reminded me of when i saw robert Plant solo, and he tried to sing some older hard rocking zepplin tunes.
    He just couldnt do it....still entertaining though....

But i still have hope,,,,cause i remember PJ when they were last on saturday night live. Ed's voice sounded off, and could not keep up with the band. Then when i saw a few shows that tour....well HE WAS FCKING AMAZING LIVE.

So lets hope it was the tempo of the new song, and tv sound that made subpar.
    He sucked and seemed old on Grievance in 2000 on Letterman too.. I think its just the show. Physically, Ed has a good 10 years before his age starts effecting his musical performance.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    I don't get what the deal is, I though Ed looked and sounded great.

There were a couple of instance when he sounded a little hoarse. But only a couple. People here make it sound like he was William Hung or some bullshit.

As far as looked ... yeah, he looked fine. I don't know what people are talking about in that regard. Maybe some people haven't seen him since '92? I dunno.

I am confused about why people are saying how he looked - I actually thought his arms looked bigger like he has been lifting or something (but I could just be delusional) so I don't get the references to him not looking good. I'm a guy so I don't really care how Ed looks as long as he is healthy and singing with PJ.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    pjhawks wrote:

There were a couple of instance when he sounded a little hoarse. But only a couple. People here make it sound like he was William Hung or some bullshit.

As far as looked ... yeah, he looked fine. I don't know what people are talking about in that regard. Maybe some people haven't seen him since '92? I dunno.

I am confused about why people are saying how he looked - I actually thought his arms looked bigger like he has been lifting or something (but I could just be delusional) so I don't get the references to him not looking good. I'm a guy so I don't really care how Ed looks as long as he is healthy and singing with PJ.
    2009 Eddie definitely looks like he could kick 2006 Eddie's ass.
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611
    Let's talk about Stone's hair.

It looked gooooood! :P

I think Stone is looking so so young and 'fresh' recently - it must be the hair!

Mike was looking good too - hell they were all looking good to me!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    krzzzymarykrzzzymary Posts: 458
    i felt a little "old"
    not because Pearl Jam is aging gracefully
    but because i recognized the patch on ed's t-shirt as being Felix the Cat
    a cartoon a used to watch when i was MUCH MUCH younger
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was thinking the same exact thing.
    I can't believe someone else noticed that. :lol:
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    i couldn't make it out it was felix. cool you saw that.

stone was jamin out! he should do more of that. :)

i dunno what the fuss is about. song sounded great to me. we've seen a plump Ed before. ....big deal!

• Options
    thackerjthackerj Posts: 6
    Let's talk about Stone's hair.

He looks like Andy Dick.
  • Options
    Sharon_Hearts_PJSharon_Hearts_PJ Bristol, PA Posts: 1,383
    I also agree that Ed seems to have put on some weight. It was my first impression watching their performance last night, but he is turning 45 yrs old later this year and has kids now. Is it me or is he starting to look more and more like Russell Crowe?
    Every time a new tour starts up, it's the same conversation. Every time. Check him out by the time the tour is over. He'll be back down by 20 lbs. I guarantee it.
    *Rock and/or Roll!*
  • Options
    supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    pjhawks wrote:

I am confused about why people are saying how he looked - I actually thought his arms looked bigger like he has been lifting or something (but I could just be delusional) so I don't get the references to him not looking good.
    I Agree. I think he looked hot.
    If you listen to the song in the mp3 version that someone had on the web last night. You'll see it sounds a lot better than what was on television. I don't know what the problem was with the audio.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    The Rock wrote:
    Ed is rarely in top form whenever they appear on a chat show before the album is released and before the tour starts.

It usually takes him a few shows to get back into the swing of it and then he's on fire.

Agreed. I couldn't understand why people were ripping on him so bad last night, it was lame. As a musician I know how hard it would be to jump on stage cold after a quick rehearsal earlier and then tear into a song that aggressive. Also consider the band hasn't played at all together live this year.
    I bet the vocals on the new album and on tour will be rock solid. I'm also certain Ed will get back out surfing and do some conditioning for the upcoming tour.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    Ed always sounds a bit off when they haven't been on the road in a while. Anyone who's been to a show knows not to take those TV appearences for anything. Ed ALWAYS sounds amazing when he gets going & the songs don't even get to show their true colors till you hear them live. So many different things appear when you hear a song in person. I can tell this new song is gonna be so hard hitting and energetic live! These guys ROCK & they always will!!!
  • Options
    I also agree that Ed seems to have put on some weight. It was my first impression watching their performance last night, but he is turning 45 yrs old later this year and has kids now. Is it me or is he starting to look more and more like Russell Crowe?
    Every time a new tour starts up, it's the same conversation. Every time. Check him out by the time the tour is over. He'll be back down by 20 lbs. I guarantee it.

AGREED :)
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    Ed always sounds a bit off when they haven't been on the road in a while. Anyone who's been to a show knows not to take those TV appearences for anything. Ed ALWAYS sounds amazing when he gets going & the songs don't even get to show their true colors till you hear them live. So many different things appear when you hear a song in person. I can tell this new song is gonna be so hard hitting and energetic live! These guys ROCK & they always will!!!
    Exactly.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    i saw greenriver last week at the showbox. they tore it up. yeah, stone's hair looks kinda silly, hopefully he'll grow it out again, and wear his SISSY shirt again.
    if hope could grow from dirt like me
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    The band was rocking for sure......, but ed looked and sounded about the same as mick Jagger.
    It reminded me of when i saw robert Plant solo, and he tried to sing some older hard rocking zepplin tunes.
    He just couldnt do it....still entertaining though....

But i still have hope,,,,cause i remember PJ when they were last on saturday night live. Ed's voice sounded off, and could not keep up with the band. Then when i saw a few shows that tour....well HE WAS FCKING AMAZING LIVE.

So lets hope it was the tempo of the new song, and tv sound that made subpar.

I swear to god some of the posters on here are slower than a gas less lawn mower... TV SHOWS ALWAYS HAVE SHITTY MIXES... fuck.. ed sounded great in 08, doubt it changed that much .. think before you post people
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302

1993 Eddie would get drunk on a case of Heineken then proceed to kick both their asses, then criticize Dave Abbruzzese for something he didn't do.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    STT757 wrote:

1993 Eddie would get drunk on a case of Heineken then proceed to kick both their asses, then criticize Dave Abbruzzese for something he didn't do.

this made me choke on my coffee haha, "post of the day"
    :lol:
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    for all the stones hair comments.....

age has done him well. he's alway looked kinda nerdy to me. but i must say he looked a tad sexy on Conan. whodathunkit?

• Options
    NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    Well, they get older (we all have to face this...) but they are still Pearl Jam. And one should not judge from one performance, especially not from one on TV.
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    was like yesterday i watch jeremy in mtv..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    This thread is why rags like "People" magazine sell millions of copies... Some are a little too obsessed how thin & young the band looks. What's that got to do with their music...Its pretty disrespectful, IMO.
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle