Options

I felt so old after watching PJ last night..lol

PearlJammer623PearlJammer623 Posts: 189
edited June 2009 in The Porch
It sucked watching ed last night..lol i realized that we are all getting old.....
The band was rocking for sure......, but ed looked and sounded about the same as mick Jagger.
It reminded me of when i saw robert Plant solo, and he tried to sing some older hard rocking zepplin tunes.
He just couldnt do it....still entertaining though....

But i still have hope,,,,cause i remember PJ when they were last on saturday night live. Ed's voice sounded off, and could not keep up with the band. Then when i saw a few shows that tour....well HE WAS FCKING AMAZING LIVE.

So lets hope it was the tempo of the new song, and tv sound that made subpar.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,391
    Ed is rarely in top form whenever they appear on a chat show before the album is released and before the tour starts.

It usually takes him a few shows to get back into the swing of it and then he's on fire.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    It sucked watching ed last night..lol i realized that we are all getting old.....
    The band was rocking for sure......, but ed looked and sounded about the same as mick Jagger.
    It reminded me of when i saw robert Plant solo, and he tried to sing some older hard rocking zepplin tunes.

But i still have hope,,,,cause i remember PJ when they were last on saturday night live. Ed's voice sounded off, and could not keep up with the band. Then when i saw a few shows that tour....well HE WAS FCKING AMAZING LIVE.

I wouldn't worry about Ed. He'll be fine.

(Looked like Mick Jagger? Seriously? Time to invest in a better TV, dude.)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    BravejamriotBravejamriot Posts: 217
    He started slow, but even by the end of the song he was rocking out better. He'll be fine in August, don't you worry.
  • Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    I felt old when I had to fast forward my dvr this morning to wath it. Conan is on waaay past my bedtime.
  • Options
    surfanddestroysurfanddestroy Posts: 2,786
    I don't get what the deal is, I though Ed looked and sounded great.
    Astoria 20/04/06, Leeds 25/08/06, Prague 22/09/06, Wembley 18/06/07,
    Dusseldorf 21/06/07, Manchester 17/08/09, London 18/08/09, LA 06/10/09, LA 07/10/09.

Ain't gonna be any middle anymore.
  • Options
    blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    The Rock wrote:
    Ed is rarely in top form whenever they appear on a chat show before the album is released and before the tour starts.

It usually takes him a few shows to get back into the swing of it and then he's on fire.

Yeah... even show by show. Ed in soundcheck isn't that good... it seems to take a few songs to loosen up the pipes.

Plus the audio wasn't mixed that well on TV at all last night.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

There were a couple of instance when he sounded a little hoarse. But only a couple. People here make it sound like he was William Hung or some bullshit.

As far as looked ... yeah, he looked fine. I don't know what people are talking about in that regard. Maybe some people haven't seen him since '92? I dunno.
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Let's talk about Stone's hair.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747

Mick Jagger???? Come on now, let's not get out of hand. He didn't sound too great at the beginning, but seemed to get better as the song went on. It didn't help that the TV sound was terrible and it was hard to hear his vocals. He's going to sound great in August!
  • Options

I dig it. He used to look like an accountant. But I wouldn't trust him with my taxes now, the hippy!
  • Options
    sk8nshoot1sk8nshoot1 Posts: 722

Almost didn't recognize him... But that style of playing the guitar gave it away...
    1996: Randall's Island I, Hartford
    1998: MSG I, Hartford
    2000: Jones Beach I
    2003: Albany, MSG II, Mansfield II & III, Homdel
    2004: Boston (VFC) I & II
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I and E. Rutherford I
    2008: MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield II (saw BostonLou in the FRONT ROW!!) EV-NYC II
    2010: Hartford
    2013 Worcester II, Hartford
    2016 Fenway I
    2018 Wrigley II, Fenway II
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Loved Stone's hair. Grow it baby!! Mike's hair looks good too.
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626

my excitement, anticipation was quickly replaced with exactly the same feelings.

they all deserve an A for effort, but things have definitely changed.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options

my excitement, anticipation was quickly replaced with exactly the same feelings.

they all deserve an A for effort, but things have definitely changed.

Seemed like the same band I saw at MSG less than a year ago ...
  • Options
    NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    All I know is Will Farrel singing "never can say goodbye" by the Jackson 5 cracked me up! Maybe that makes me old :)

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    Im not passing judgement until I hear the whole album. I remember when Comatose surfaced when it was called Crapshoot, I hated that song when it first heard the live version. Then when the album came out, It was one of my favorite songs.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    Pearl moonPearl moon East Coast Posts: 9

So lets hope it was the tempo of the new song, and tv sound that made subpar.[

First of all comparing Ed to Mick is ridiculous,just because Ed is not a kid anymore doesn't make him any less vital and amazing as he was in'91....He sounded great to me!maybe the sound guy was subpar if anyone.The band was tight,and I thought"get some"was edgy and very catchy,with a few more listens I like it more+more :D As far as looks Ed is only getting hotter with age and experience 8-)
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,986

I thought it rocked....a little raw but it's brand new...
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508
    the pit is making me not want to watch. YIKES!

(i dvr-ed it)
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options

(i dvr-ed it)

You should know better than to listen to these d-bags.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    eddie is almost mid 40's how do you expect him to be sounding after not singing for a good 8 months. Seriosuyl everyone ages it's fact.. PJ arne't always going to be that young band infact they are already considered an 'old' band. Everyone think ed looks fat (which is bullshit and who gives a shit either way) and he cant sing anymore lol it's ridiculous really.. It was a great song end of story.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508

(i dvr-ed it)

good point.
    they are just freaked out because if ed looks old, than they're getting old.
    duurrr.....getting old IS NOT a bad thing.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options

(i dvr-ed it)

good point.
    they are just freaked out because if ed looks old, than they're getting old.
    duurrr.....getting old IS NOT a bad thing.

My knees disagree with you. Crack, crack, creak.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778

I just watched it on YouTube again and I thought it was good too. I thought they all looked really good and the band sounded very tight. Love Stone's hair too.

And physically, Ed looked good. Mighty fine, actually :)
  • Options
    Ha! I had the opposite reaction. Watching Pearl Jam rock it last night made me feel young again!

I thought it was great - a little raw, but in a good way.
  • Options
    OkOk Posts: 2,144

I wouldn't worry about Ed. He'll be fine.

(Looked like Mick Jagger? Seriously? Time to invest in a better TV, dude.)

:D
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    sk8nshoot1 wrote:

Almost didn't recognize him... But that style of playing the guitar gave it away...

Was that really stone? lol
  • Options
    gonzogonzo Posts: 554
    Zoso wrote:
    eddie is almost mid 40's how do you expect him to be sounding after not singing for a good 8 months. Seriosuyl everyone ages it's fact.. PJ arne't always going to be that young band infact they are already considered an 'old' band. Everyone think ed looks fat (which is bullshit and who gives a shit either way) and he cant sing anymore lol it's ridiculous really.. It was a great song end of story.

yes. and exactly why ed is doing a SOLO tour before the band goes out.. warming up the pipes.
    he was fine. they will rock it this year.
    peace,
    gonzo
    4/10/94, 9/28/96, 9/29/96, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 10/01/04, 9/15/05, 9/30/05, 10/01/05, 5/4/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/31/09, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/15/13, 10/18/13, 10/19/13, 10/25/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 5/1/16, 5/2/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 4/7/17, 8/8/18, 8/10/18
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I thought Ed sounded great after the song really kicked in. He does look bigger but he was wearing a different fitting tshirt than he usually wears, and maybe he did put on some weight knowing he was gonna be touring alot, and it would be easy to lose. Through his chest he looks thicker so he coulda just bulked up some.

Stone looked cool as fuck

Jeff rocked it
  • Options
    I also agree that Ed seems to have put on some weight. It was my first impression watching their performance last night, but he is turning 45 yrs old later this year and has kids now. Is it me or is he starting to look more and more like Russell Crowe?
    04-11-94. The Boston Gahden.  Boston, MA
    10-02-96. The Meadows.  Hartford, CT
    08-29-00. Tweeter Center.  Mansfield, MA
    07-02-03. Tweeter Center.  Mansfield, MA
    03-27-11. Tres Mts (with Jeff and Mike).  Paradise Rock Club.  Boston, MA  
    06-16-11. EV solo tour.  The Wang Theater.  Boston, MA
    09-03-11. Alpine Valley. PJ20.  East Troy, WI
    09-04-11. Alpine Valley. PJ20.  East Troy, WI
    09-04-18. Fenway Park.  Boston, MA