Options

The Tragically Hip official Thread 2009******

Comments

• Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    After seeing them again in Boston, I am convinced they are one of the top 3 bands out.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    My offer is still standing for the JUNE 17th SEATTLE TRAGICALLY HIP SHOW. i have an extra 5TH ROW ticket. you would be sitting with my girlfriend and I. i dont want it to go to waste. please? face value.

MOORE THEATRE. gonna be great....you should come.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    Holy S**T what a show last night in Detroit. Made night one look very tame even though it was a very good show. Last night I was dead front and center and Gord was on fire. My wife and 2 friends who had never seen the Hip were just blown away.

In no order - 50 MISSION CAP, Locked in the trunk....., Eldorado, Fully Completely, Fireworks, Poets, Escape, Bobcaygeon, 3 pistols......... The final song was Blow at High Dough and Gord jumps off the stage and lets the audience scream into the mic with him.... Just a high energy show :0
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    glad you had fun.

im really glad that escape is making fairly regular appearances in the setlists this tour. its one of my fav songs ever. just such a great story and sound to that tune.

im dying to hear eldorado too this time round.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    I BrisK I wrote:
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Ok i've listened to about 4/5 albums now and i just don't see whats that amazing, they had a few cool moments but meh. But i would def check them out if they played here.

Did you get 4/5 albums at once? I can't think of a single band I've ever tried that with where it stuck... the albums inevitably blur together and you notice a few highlights and go "meh" to the middle tracks. I had the same reaction when I first got into Afghan Whigs and Twilight Singers... I wanted to ditch the albums or just compile a best of. It's too much material to swallow at once. Luckily, I forced myself to delete everything from my ipod except those albums until I'd had a chance to really absorb them.

And their live show is a must. Like PJ, the albums may sound good, but not particularly mind-blowing to an outsider. It's the live show that truly demonstrates the power of the band.

Just been listening to everyones recomendations on here, so yeah its around 4/5 albums just once. Really want to see em to try and understand what everyones about!

Try the older albums then, more straight rocking.. Road Apples and Up to Here. Like someone said for most Canadians its just that the hip are like the soundtrack to our lives, you grow up with them.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    pearljim wrote:
    Holy S**T what a show last night in Detroit. Made night one look very tame even though it was a very good show. Last night I was dead front and center and Gord was on fire. My wife and 2 friends who had never seen the Hip were just blown away.

In no order - 50 MISSION CAP, Locked in the trunk....., Eldorado, Fully Completely, Fireworks, Poets, Escape, Bobcaygeon, 3 pistols......... The final song was Blow at High Dough and Gord jumps off the stage and lets the audience scream into the mic with him.... Just a high energy show :0

That show was unbelievably sick! That version of Poets might be the best 6 minutes of live music of my entire life, including anything I've ever seen PJ do. Incredible show. Wish I could have made night one too!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,199
    pearljim wrote:

That show was unbelievably sick! That version of Poets might be the best 6 minutes of live music of my entire life, including anything I've ever seen PJ do. Incredible show. Wish I could have made night one too!

here's something else you 2 might like! both nights! :)

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=525489
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    demetrios wrote:
    pearljim wrote:

THANK YOU D! Downloading em now :)

I'm glad you felt the same way soulsinging. At times I thought the sound was a bit off but being right up front it was pure bombardment. Saw Nine Inch Nails tonight and it was a bit boring. NIN should not play during daylight and no mosh pit :) Only played 80 minutes........
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,948
    benjs wrote:
    I found Gord's stage antics very strange... I'm sorry, but having a sweating problem does not justify using a rag as a prop, wiping your sweat constantly, and throwing it into the crowd. If Eddie threw a sweaty rag at me - I'd probably throw it back. That's just gross. Also, I did find the band's playing uninspired. I was off a bit to the side, so didn't see as much of the bassist, but the drums were very weak, and the guitar was soulless.
    i saw them in nyc and was literally on the rail for the whole night. i had probably the most fun ever at a concert. maybe you caught them on a bad night but when i saw them the band was tight. thats gord just being gord. i found it to be weird and funny. i would love to see them again on this tour
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    demetrios wrote:
    pearljim wrote:

Godamn that's such a tease! I appreciate the tip, but I cannot figure out torrent to save my life. I've tried at least 3 times and I'm convinced the damn thing is nothing more than an elaborate hoax, or at best a program that is more complicated than initiating a nuclear launch in the US.
  • Options
    pearljim wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    [here's something else you 2 might like! both nights! :)

THANK YOU D! Downloading em now :)

I'm glad you felt the same way soulsinging. At times I thought the sound was a bit off but being right up front it was pure bombardment. Saw Nine Inch Nails tonight and it was a bit boring. NIN should not play during daylight and no mosh pit :) Only played 80 minutes........

Yeah, my gf and I got there a little before 730 and NIN was already onstage! They were done at like 845 and then we split to head home cos she has an early morning flight. They played great, but it was too short and too weird in the middle of the day with the sun shining, not ideal NIN weather.
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,086
    Just returning from seeing the Hip live on 2 of the last 3 nights (1st Detroit show and in Cleveland last night)! I, unfortunately missed THE set that everyone is talking about from Saturday. The same thing happened to me 2 years ago when i elected to see the Hip on the first of 2 nights at the Fillmore. (My friend attended the 2nd show that time and picked up the set-list packed full of favourites). Its all water under the bridge though....u cannot go to a Hip show and not walk away feeling satisfied....for an interval during the second set last night in Cleveland, i literally stood there in stunned amazement. To top off excellent acoustic performances of Boots or Hearts and Scared, the Hip went on a run of The Last Recluse, Pigeon Camera, Courage, and then Grace,Too. I mean, r u f*"!*in kidding me!!! I was blown away (and this was my 9th time seeing them)! The new material sounds excellent live and the songs continue to grow on you the more you listen. I can't get Now the Struggle Has a Name out of my head. The only difference i could see in the 2 year seperation between shows is how the legion of fans for the Hip has continued to grow....at the Cleveland show in '07, it felt like a house party. I literally placed the beer i was drinking on the stage in front of Paul while watching them play. That gives u an idea of how small and intimate that show was. Paul even commented to me last night after the show the remarkable difference in crowds between the two shows. Last night's group was considerably more (sold out), and although i had hoped for the same small intimate gathering, it is about the band and giving them their props. Talking with the guys after the show, they exemplified why they've become Canada's greatest export. They are hard-working, generous with their time and loyal to their fans. It's refreshing to see a bunch of guys remaining grounded and true to their passion without the ego that sometimes accompanies success.. Rock on Boys!!!!!!!!
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    maynardsux wrote:
    Just returning from seeing the Hip live on 2 of the last 3 nights (1st Detroit show and in Cleveland last night)! I, unfortunately missed THE set that everyone is talking about from Saturday. The same thing happened to me 2 years ago when i elected to see the Hip on the first of 2 nights at the Fillmore. (My friend attended the 2nd show that time and picked up the set-list packed full of favourites). Its all water under the bridge though....u cannot go to a Hip show and not walk away feeling satisfied....for an interval during the second set last night in Cleveland, i literally stood there in stunned amazement. To top off excellent acoustic performances of Boots or Hearts and Scared, the Hip went on a run of The Last Recluse, Pigeon Camera, Courage, and then Grace,Too.

Don't feel too bad about missing Saturday... that run makes my jaw drop too!
  • Options
    PlanktonPlankton Posts: 692
    I just got tickets to finally see The Hip! Manchester, England in December. Can't flippin' wait.
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,086
    Plankton wrote:
    I just got tickets to finally see The Hip! Manchester, England in December. Can't flippin' wait.
    That would b amazing to see! Where are they playing and how many people?
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    chittychitty Posts: 606
    Maybe not best spot, but I have 2 extra tickets to the June 24 show in Vancouver. Last show of the 3 here so probably the best setlist that night.
    Lower Balcony Row 13, hard tickets, face value was $105 each, selling both for $180!
    PM me if you want them.
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    1st Vancouver show, I think, was pretty good. Unfortunately I was in the nosebleeds and as I'm rather short, I couldn't see the lip of the stage where Gord hung out much of the night. Their touring keyboard/computer guy in the back by Johnny Fay was rocking it up pretty good. I really have to get to bed though, so I can't really divulge right now. I'm sure Restless Soul will have more info since he could probably see Gord and can better compare the gig to others (this is only my 2nd Hip show, 3rd will be in August.)

Personal highlights: acoustic Courage, Thugs, Depression Suite, The Struggle Has a Name.

Gord, at the end of set one: "Go smoke your smokes, pee your piss and look at the night sky, we'll be right back!"

Review:
    http://www.vancouversun.com/Entertainme ... story.html
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,911
    new song out today called In A World Possessed By The Human Mind. New album, oddly called Man Machine Poem (same name as a track from their last album) out June 7.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    toolietoolie Posts: 388

new song out today called In A World Possessed By The Human Mind. New album, oddly called Man Machine Poem (same name as a track from their last album) out June 7.

I dig it! Can't wait for the new album. Would be nice to see an outdoor summer tour. I think the only band I've seen even close to as many times as PJ is the Hip and they never disappoint!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, I really like the single! Looking forward to the album. And I assume this means an upcoming tour, which is very exciting. :) After going 20 years between Trag shows, I've decided to never miss them when they come to town again.
    Commemorating by listening to Now For Plan A..... I hardly ever listen to it for some reason, but it's actually a super good album.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    toolie said:

I dig it! Can't wait for the new album. Would be nice to see an outdoor summer tour. I think the only band I've seen even close to as many times as PJ is the Hip and they never disappoint!
    they played outside at a baseball stadium here in the Peg years ago. I was sorry I decided not to go.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    toolietoolie Posts: 388

toolie said:

they played outside at a baseball stadium here in the Peg years ago. I was sorry I decided not to go.
    Just before I moved from Calgary to small town AB they played an outdoor show at a skate park downtown. It was pouring (warm) rain the whole show, was an incredible way to say goodbye to the city!
    I also saw them at XFest years ago, I remember Gord coming out to sing with Dallas Green on that City and Colour song he guested on. It was pretty unexpected but was EPIC!!!!
  • Options

toolie said:

Some of my good, music loving friends do that here in Kamloops too. They kind of take them for granted.

I love going to Hip shows. They are lyrically profound.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,683
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, i actually consider Downie to be the best lyricist of all time.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,787
    New album in June
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited May 2016
    Sad news today. One of my favorite bands. Thought they would be around forever.

Gord Downie, Tragically Hip singer, has terminal cancer
    Statement says Canadian singer 'has been fighting hard'

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gord-downie-cancer-1.3596839

Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    dignin said:

Saw that, sad. Going on tour too, won't get another chance to see 'em!
  • Options
    dignin said:

sad day.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,195
    Where do I start with this band? Never listened to them before.
    www.cluthelee.com