Options

Any TOOL fans here?!

maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
edited June 2009 in Other Music
They've announced dates for the summer but if it's anything like their 10,000 Days tour, it will blow!! My 1st Tool show was at the beginning of the Aenema tour (when Maynard actually performed at the FRONT of the stage) and they still rank as the most intense live act i have seen to date. With the exception of Eddie and a few others, not many lead singers can convey their message or bring out raw emotion from their fans like Maynard....unfortunately, although great both visually and musically as a live act, that same feeling and energy isn't there when you're 100 feet from the front of the stage. And though i respect any artist's right to play new material, playing 3 songs from your first two cd's doesn't quite cut it (as Tool did on their last tour, well at least at their Detroit show).
'93 Toronto
'94 Detroit
'10 Columbus
'11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
'13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
'14 Detroit
'16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
'18 Chicago 1 and 2
'22 Hamilton, Toronto
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    yep im a TOOL fan.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I like their song. I'd say songs, but they all kinda sound the same to me. Still, cool sound. They're headlining Lolla this year, so I'll probably see them there.
  • Options
    hmmm yes i have a hell of a time distinguishing between hooker with a penis and prison sex. :roll:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    i'm a big tool fan, but i felt that my first show (during the 10000 days tour) was lacking. i left the concert totally underwhelmed and questioning my fandom. i wanted some undertow, i wanted some aenema and i wanted some lateralus (i woulda killed for some opiate), but i got ten songs that lasted two hours. not impressed. the band was amazing, but maynards vocals were buried in the mix, and every song felt dragged out.

i'm willing to give them another chance because, well, they're fuckin' TOOL.
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    Tool may be the best band outside of pearljam putting out music today.

I love tool.

Maynard's jungian references in his lyrics (no his songs aren't really about anal fisting) and the style overall, I just cant get enough. the patient, rosetta stoned, the pot, and on and on.

The live show i saw in Tacoma floored me. the best show outside of rage against the machine and pearl jam that i've seen. tool can play. and not many bands are as original as they are . they do their own thing, and fuck everything else. can't beat maynard's voice, adam jones guitar or art, and the other guys' percussion. its a true band. Maynard and adam jones play off eachother, and the drummer and bassist have their own thing going on.

love tool. top band of all time, right up with pearl jam.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    hmmm yes i have a hell of a time distinguishing between hooker with a penis and prison sex. :roll:

Then you've clearly had neither... to a guy in the dark, they're pretty much the same.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    ive liked tool for a long time, but seeing them at GM Place sealed the deal. It was phenomenal. the 06 shows. love this band.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options

Then you've clearly had neither... to a guy in the dark, they're pretty much the same.

voice of experience are you??? :P :mrgreen:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Tool may be the best band outside of pearljam putting out music today.

I love tool.

Maynard's jungian references in his lyrics (no his songs aren't really about anal fisting) and the style overall, I just cant get enough. the patient, rosetta stoned, the pot, and on and on.

The live show i saw in Tacoma floored me. the best show outside of rage against the machine and pearl jam that i've seen. tool can play. and not many bands are as original as they are . they do their own thing, and fuck everything else. can't beat maynard's voice, adam jones guitar or art, and the other guys' percussion. its a true band. Maynard and adam jones play off eachother, and the drummer and bassist have their own thing going on.

love tool. top band of all time, right up with pearl jam.

the other guy??? LMAO!!! that would be danny carey. :mrgreen: are you counting justin as a percussionist, on bass?? not sure if you are or it is a grammatical error. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

Funny :D
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,007
    This is it? Not reall much of a tour

http://www.toolband.com/tour/index.html

2009 01 Aug Jersey City, NJ US ALL POINTS WEST FESTIVAL Latest
    2009 30 Jul FAIRFAX, VA US PATRIOT CENTER Latest
    2009 29 Jul CHARLOTTE, NC US BOJANGLE'S COLISEUM Latest
    2009 27 Jul DULUTH, GA US GWINNETT ARENA Latest
    2009 25 Jul Dallas, TX US Nokia Theater at Grand Prairie Latest
    2009 24 Jul SAN ANTONIO, TX US AT&T CENTER Latest
    2009 22 Jul RIO RANCHO, NM US SANTA ANA STAR CENTER Latest
    2009 21 Jul PHOENIX, AZ US US AIRWAYS ARENA Latest
    2009 19 Jul Salt Lake City, UT US EnergySolutions Latest
    2009 18 Jul DENVER, CO US THE FIELDS AT DICK'S SPORTING GOODS PARK Latest
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    doujodoujo Posts: 285
    their website says more dates to be announced once confirmed
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    They better bring it live, this time, or I'll stick to their great albums, Aenima and Lateralus.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Hell yes, one of the actual good bands around atm. Saw them in 06 and played the PERFECT setlist at Download Festival :D

Can't wait to see them at a proper show.
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    it's funny because as i write this i'm listening to rosetta stoned!

yeah i'll be seeing them at all points west. can't wait. i heard their light shows make pink floyd light shows look like a devo light show.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    it's funny because as i write this i'm listening to rosetta stoned!

yeah i'll be seeing them at all points west. can't wait. i heard their light shows make pink floyd light shows look like a devo light show.

Well, that's a lie.
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    I love tool, but I need some more A Perfect Circle.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    LukinFan wrote:

pretty lame

tool is the only other "rock" i listen to that still puts out music i love.
    i saw them twice for the 10,000 days tour.
    i drove to tampa by myself for my first show on a whim and it blew my mind..event though i was in literally the back row. was leanin against the wall.
    but the second show a couple days later in orlando was exactly the same. same opening song and they only switched like one song in the set list.
    that's why pearl jam is so good. after 3 shows i heard like 40 songs for the first time :mrgreen:
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    LukinFan wrote:

pretty lame

i drove to tampa by myself for my first show on a whim and it blew my mind..event though i was in literally the back row. was leanin against the wall.
    but the second show a couple days later in orlando was exactly the same. same opening song and they only switched like one song in the set list.
    that's why pearl jam is so good. after 3 shows i heard like 40 songs for the first time :mrgreen:

some of Tool's songs are incredibly complex. i can't imagine them being able to just bust out any song, like Aenima, on a whim. maybe somethng from opiate, bu the music since is really well structured and complex. would be hard to switch it up every show.

I agree with you , I prefer pj live shows in that regard....I think they have like over 100 songs they can play at any given moment. that's insane.
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993

some of Tool's songs are incredibly complex. i can't imagine them being able to just bust out any song, like Aenima, on a whim. maybe somethng from opiate, bu the music since is really well structured and complex. would be hard to switch it up every show.

I agree with you , I prefer pj live shows in that regard....I think they have like over 100 songs they can play at any given moment. that's insane.

Plus the fact the visual and light show is so complex that there light guys and crew need to always know exactly what is going on and what song is coming next.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420

Plus the fact the visual and light show is so complex that there light guys and crew need to always know exactly what is going on and what song is coming next.[/quote]

i meant that was my only knock. and i do get why. it is a complex show.
    lets remember that i said i love tool. i did even really mean to be negative..just show some pj love.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,850
    tool are amazing, especially live! :)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    demetrios wrote:
    tool are amazing, especially live! :)

Yup!! I've only seen them once (on the Lateralus tour) & they were awesome.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    pjjjpjjj Posts: 43
    i'm a big tool fan, but i felt that my first show (during the 10000 days tour) was lacking. i left the concert totally underwhelmed and questioning my fandom. i wanted some undertow, i wanted some aenema and i wanted some lateralus (i woulda killed for some opiate), but i got ten songs that lasted two hours. not impressed. the band was amazing, but maynards vocals were buried in the mix, and every song felt dragged out.

Hmm I went to two shows on the 10k days tour and got quite a bit of old stuff. Got Opiate, Sober, Stinkfist, 46&2, Aenima, and Flood off of the pre lateralus stuff. The gorge show in 06 was pretty awesome, sounded great. The Portland show in 07 was a pretty big let down. Maynards voice was off and he wasn't loud enough until the last two songs when Maynard finally had to tell the crew to turn him up. (only took them 2+ hrs to notice).
  • Options
    dave grolschdave grolsch Posts: 730
    only seen them twice,really enjoyed them and look forward to seeing them soon in the uk.
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    pjjj wrote:

Hmm I went to two shows on the 10k days tour and got quite a bit of old stuff. Got Opiate, Sober, Stinkfist, 46&2, Aenima, and Flood off of the pre lateralus stuff. The gorge show in 06 was pretty awesome, sounded great. The Portland show in 07 was a pretty big let down. Maynards voice was off and he wasn't loud enough until the last two songs when Maynard finally had to tell the crew to turn him up. (only took them 2+ hrs to notice).

alright, i've pulled out my bootleg of the show i went to (july 9 2007) and will give it a listen again some time this weekend. after checking the setlist, it seems that i did exaggerate a bit though: there were five pre-10000 days songs during the 11 song set (stinkfist, forty-six & 2, schism, flood and lateralus). I woulda killed for opiate and sober, or prison sex, or just less 10000 days (...and we didn't even get the pot).

it seems my show was four days before your portland one, so maybe you got the tail end of my let down.
  • Options
    OneTooFreeOneTooFree Posts: 265
    San Antonio & Dallas both "nearby" but i'm not sure i'll be able to go what w/ my work schedule...

hopefully i'll be able to find someone to switch shifts with
  • Options
    annenomiesannenomies Posts: 165
    Tool is awesome - I love their sound. My favs are Stinkfist, Forty-six and 2, Sober and the Pot
    I haven't seen them live yet - I would like to :)
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    DewieCox wrote:
    They better bring it live, this time, or I'll stick to their great albums, Aenima and Lateralus.

No love for Undertow?? That shit is amazing!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

No love for Undertow?? That shit is amazing!

Definitely amazing, but Aenima and Lateralus are on a different plain. Up there with the DSOTM's and Yield's of the world, my world at least,